You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Is this games population increasing, decreasing or staying level?

40 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
762 posts
2,722 battles

Just wondering as I play this game on bursts, like 2 or 3 weeks of regular games then 3+ months of doing something else. Just wondering how this games population is going? Sometimes I'll log in when it's the evening in the States and 15,000+ will be on, then I might have a game when it's ultra early in the morning and there sometimes might just be 900 people logged in. 

Its been around a while and I started playing on the Sea server the day if was released before getting too frustrated with the stupidity and language barriers so I migrated to the US server. 

A few other games I used to play have had large drop off's in the last 12 months as many have started playing newer (and simpler *cough* Fortnite *cough*) games. 

Members
5,144 posts

No real way to tell for sure.  If you ask some, of course, the game is dying, and fast!  But others think it's about the same or slowly trending upwards.  WG isn't telling.  In the end, play if it fits your need, and if not, find something fun for you.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,361 posts
13,880 battles

WoWS is much more of a niche game than tanks or any other shooter but I would say it is stable to slowly growing.

[PVE]
Members
430 posts
16,984 battles

According to the interweb they're making money hand over fist with Russia there biggest market but fastest growth in Asia

[WOLF7]
Members
12,509 posts

Form your own opinion.....

fmvRUyc.png

Then compare it to WG's one truly successful, and far older game.

u9ywTns.png

Edited by awiggin

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,361 posts
13,880 battles
19 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Form your own opinion.....

fmvRUyc.png

Then compare it to WG's one truly successful, and far older game.

u9ywTns.png

WG does not release official population numbers so those numbers so where are those numbers from?

[WOLF7]
Members
12,509 posts
Just now, BrushWolf said:

WG does not release official population numbers so those numbers so where are those numbers from?

Bottom right. stats.wot.api.ru They track all the wows/wot and wowp servers, have for years....

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles

I think this game has a lot fewer kids/college students playing it than normal and that's probably why the morning populations tend to be low.  That's get ready for work time.  

Now in the evening it's a different story.  I saw almost 17k on last night at one point which is the highest number I've seen since I returned to the game about a month ago.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
979 posts
16,017 battles

Question: Is this game's population increasing, decreasing, or staying level?

Answer: Yes.

Better questions:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPBDHw_xm1m06HHxNcyG_

Basically I have no answer to your question because WG does not release population numbers. But I thought the above meme was funny so I hope you enjoyed it. Merry Christmas!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,361 posts
13,880 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

Bottom right. stats.wot.api.ru They track all the wows/wot and wowp servers, have for years....

Can't get that site up and I would rather see the numbers for just the last year instead of from the beginning when the new thing surge brings in lots of people that don't stay long. From my daily play the population at least on this server is stable.

Members
1,289 posts
2,399 battles

Was 15k when i quit over a year ao and when i come back its is roughly the same during primetime.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,250 posts
22,261 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

WoWS is much more of a niche game than tanks or any other shooter but I would say it is stable to slowly growing.

Yes.  Anything related to naval warfare is very niche to start with.  Flight games, either hardcore simulators like DCS or arcade ones like Ace Combat are much more abundant.  I can see guys hopping in for a tank game, "Woohoo!  Panthers and Tigers!"

Naval warfare games have generally trended to strategic or simulator style games.  Matter of fact, even on the simulator side, submarines have taken that up.  I can't recall much of a simulator for surface ships.  Lord help you if you're trying to look for one with modern naval warfare.  The more accessible naval arcade games have been very few.  The "Battlestations" series, Steel Ocean (not sure how that's doing), and of course, WoWS are it.

At least for NA, WoWS is doing okay considering how niche this style of gaming is, even as an arcadey game.  From the WoWs / WoT wiki, as of right now for NA numbers for Online players:

WoT USC:  12,314

WoWS NA:  12,570

WoT though has some competition for ground-based tanking.  War Thunder comes very quickly to mind.  WoWS and the field is in, isn't as heated in competition.  But it's not like the kids are coming off school all looking for the first opportunity to play a Fletcher or Yamato-class ship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
3,089 posts
6,782 battles

I think this game is stable to growing.  Which is what most people on here have said.  I took about a year off and the population numbers seemed the same. On most nights its around 12k when I play. Sometimes it as low as 10k and others its as high as 16K. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,361 posts
13,880 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yes.  Anything related to naval warfare is very niche to start with.  Flight games, either hardcore simulators like DCS or arcade ones like Ace Combat are much more abundant.  I can see guys hopping in for a tank game, "Woohoo!  Panthers and Tigers!"

Naval warfare games have generally trended to strategic or simulator style games.  Matter of fact, even on the simulator side, submarines have taken that up.  I can't recall much of a simulator for surface ships.  Lord help you if you're trying to look for one with modern naval warfare.  The more accessible naval arcade games have been very few.  The "Battlestations" series, Steel Ocean (not sure how that's doing), and of course, WoWS are it.

At least for NA, WoWS is doing okay considering how niche this style of gaming is, even as an arcadey game.  From the WoWs / WoT wiki, as of right now for NA numbers for Online players:

WoT USC:  12,314

WoWS NA:  12,570

WoT though has some competition for ground-based tanking.  War Thunder comes very quickly to mind.  WoWS and the field is in, isn't as heated in competition.  But it's not like the kids are coming off school all looking for the first opportunity to play a Fletcher or Yamato-class ship.

Look at how many "senior citizens" we have in the game. The average age here from what I can see is over 30 if not 50 where most shooters are over run with teenagers.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,188 posts
14,164 battles
15 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Look at how many "senior citizens" we have in the game. The average age here from what I can see is over 30 if not 50 where most shooters are over run with teenagers.

I would feel safe saying the average age of WoWS is probably that age range.

[SANK]
Members
301 posts
6,004 battles

I have to say at just looking at pop number from when I am on in the evening, they were hitting about 10-11.5k (And slowly declining) until late this month when they jumped about 3k to about 15K.

[A_51]
Members
961 posts

Based on the charts awiggen posted, WOWS has about 5% of the participation WOT does.  I hadn't realized the disparity was quite so large.  

Edited by Seaneroo

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,769 battles
21 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

This will keep the game going for a long time even if population numbers dwindle.  Older players have a lot more disposable income than kids, and I wouldn’t be surprised if WoWS makes much more revenue per player than WoT.

Members
2,666 posts
93 battles
24 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

only in NA, mind you.

Asia has a much younger average playerbase.

Edited by RyuuohD_NA

[WORX]
Members
9,674 posts
17,623 battles

Low tiers -- Declining they're less new players this year then last.

Mid tiers --- strong, balanced up to, tier 7

upper tiers--- not balanced nor fun at all for DDs/cruisers. BB AP changes dont help the disparity of the class being over capable at doing DMG to cruisers or DDs.

IF tier 10 is the product WOWS depend on to stay afloat, then its alive but not doing very well.

One thing for sure, must people have fun at mid tiers then any where else.

Edited by Navalpride33

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,188 posts
14,164 battles
26 minutes ago, n00bot said:

This will keep the game going for a long time even if population numbers dwindle.  Older players have a lot more disposable income than kids, and I wouldn’t be surprised if WoWS makes much more revenue per player than WoT.

You are correct about the disposable income. Age is not a reflection on being a less profitable target audience. WoWS is savy enough to know what their clients want. I believe they pay attention to revenue streams, there client population, even the forums.

[PT]
Members
762 posts
2,722 battles
4 hours ago, Seaneroo said:

Based on the charts awiggen posted, WOWS has about 5% of the participation WOT does.  I hadn't realized the disparity was quite so large.  

Can't believe people still play WoT. I reinstalled that have after a good 3 or 4 year break and it hasn't aged well graphically and that God awful cone of fire RNG rubbish is still present. 

WT has its problems but at least the tanks shoot straight. 

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,023 posts
5 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

you do understand that the client has a population counter in game...