Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gavroche_

What is competitive gaming? Arms-race Ranked?

17 comments in this topic

Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles

So the upcoming season of Ranked is confirmed to include tier IX arms race. This is an, understandably, controversial decision by WG. There are many people who think that the inclusion of this rather niche gamemode undermines the competitiveness of the Ranked format. I would like to hear people's opinion on this matter, and especially on the following questions, but first here are my own opinions.

Do you approve of adding arms race to Ranked?

Not really. I don't think there was any issue with ranked beforehand (except maybe it was unnecessarily long i.e. even with a 60% WR it could still take well over a hundred games). I don't get what exactly they think is broken, or why they're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Does adding arms race detract from the competitiveness of Ranked?

I think it does. It's kind of an out-there and weird gamemode. It's less standard than normal 7v7 cap point battles and I think adding additional game elements detracts from the fundamental skills and strategies that should be demonstrated in a competitive format.

What defines 'competitiveness' in a game?

This is kind of a philosophical question, but IMO a 'competitive' format is one that fulfills the following criteria:

1. Players are allowed to demonstrate their fundamental skills in a game.

2. Players are matched with players of a suitable caliber and advanced if they prove themselves better, they are set back if they show themselves inferior.

3. Players are rewarded for successfully demonstrating their skills by advancement and rewards.

Was Ranked ever competitive to begin with?

Sort of. There were definitely elements that detracted from the competitive elements. The biggest was the presence of premium and/or OP ships that unfairly rewarded either financial contribution to a game, or the decision to arbitrarily grind down a line. (E.g. if you happened to have a chapayev during season 3 ranked, or if you owned any one of a number of premium ships in tier VII ranked you had a large advantage over similarly skilled players who didn't have access to those ships.) Another factor was the general unreliability of teammates would make it difficult for a solo player to singlehandledly win a game (although then we got the star system that made it so that ranked rewards solo play over team play). Overall though, it is definitely up there under the competitive spectrum, above randoms, but below clan and league battles.

Edited by Gavroche_
spelling and grammar

[KYARU]
Members
3,879 posts
21,938 battles

>WG adds Arms Race
>playerbase is "meh"
>WG removes Arms Race
>playerbase doesn't miss Arms Race
>WG adds Arms Race in ranked

classic WG
10/10 

Edited by Preteen
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles

Ranked isn't really "competitive".  It's really just a matter of persistence.  Clan Battles is the real competitive mode. You truly need a team of skilled players to advance to typhoon or hurricane, as well as being able to pull your own weight. 

[-KAK-]
Members
538 posts
9,911 battles
1 minute ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Ranked isn't really "competitive".  It's really just a matter of persistence.  Clan Battles is the real competitive mode. You truly need a team of skilled players to advance to typhoon or hurricane, as well as being able to pull your own weight. 

It may not be "truely competitive", but it's more competitive than randoms. Yes, you can of course still fail upwards.

I don't really get why it's arms race ranked. Personally, I thought that arms race kinda failed because no one played it. This just seems like WG wanted people to like arms race, so they forced people to play it so they could get steel.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,551 posts
33,672 battles

Dislike Arms Race. Why would they bring it back and mix it with Ranked?

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,613 posts
9,807 battles

What ever the mode for ranked, I'mma going to use a premium ship and earn some credits. Hopefully it is T9 next season.

Members
2,659 posts
93 battles
3 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

What ever the mode for ranked, I'mma going to use a premium ship and earn some credits. Hopefully it is T9 next season.

Next Ranked is T9.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,613 posts
9,807 battles
1 minute ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Next Ranked is T9.

So I've heard, welp the MO is going to get a good bit of use.

[--K--]
Members
5,332 posts
16,746 battles

Your first mistake was assuming Rank contains Competitiveness. 

There is no Competitive aspect to Rank. 

There is only Suffering and Salt in Rank. 

:cap_cool:

[DS-DL]
Members
100 posts
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

Assuming Rank contains Competitiveness, Your first mistake was.

Competitive aspect to Rank, There is not.

Only Suffering and Salt in Rank there is. 

:cap_cool:

Put the Yoda touch on it. If only because it bears repeating...

• Cool 1

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles

Also, I remember a Flamu video a while ago where he said they were going to change how arms race worked before re-introducing it. Balance changes like one side getting 2 early stealth buffs while the other side got none. Adding more buffs like steering gears or faster cooldowns. 

[KAPPA]
Members
2,751 posts
7,526 battles

I don't think arms race ranked will happen more than once. I think it's more to do with people not participating the first time Arms Race came around, so they probably got little data. How do you get people to participate? Make it a ranked mode for a season and people out for steel will bend over backwards to play it

Members
842 posts
9,792 battles

Only truly competitive format atm is KOTS, where you get to adapt your lineup on predetermined maps and spawns. Pre-game preparation is very important as opposed to any other game mode.

Ranked is just alternative format randoms, and Clan Battles are about as low as you can get on the competitive scale while still being competitive.

[WOLF6]
Members
854 posts
7,914 battles

Another B.S . gimmick we don't want and don't need being shoved down our throats , might have to take a break from the game for awhile , it's a rehashed sequel to Dumb and Dumber . May their vodka bottles crack in the freezer , it looks like they've had enough to drink anyway if update 8.0 is any example .

• Boring 1

[AAA]
Members
432 posts
14,221 battles

Do not follow through on running all arms race in the upcoming ranked season, WG. One would hope you would think twice and consider all the feedback from the community.

For starters, arms race, whether in randoms, but most especially in ranked (I've played the PTS version), is just plain silly. This should be plainly obvious to anyone who plays it.

Second, running arms race in 6v6 ranked is going to cause a huge #2 storm for so many reasons.

You will have ships running all over at numerous objectives to attempt to get the buffs. Hence, lack of coordination and yolos will happen--in spades.

DDs will now be harangued even more. Go spot. Go get the buffs. And the result will be fast deletions, resulting in salt poured upon salt.

And then how will points be calculated for the star saving system? With DDs having even more to do in this mode (capping buffs), will DDs be rewarded more for doing so? I'm not sure why I even ask since WG won't tell.

Lastly, finding info on this upcoming mode is right in line with WG's issues with providing notice. I found the best info on...reddit and FB. Seriously?

Stop throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

Running arms race in ranked will not stick. It will run all over the place and be a bloody mess.

Don't do it WG. Just don't. You will kill an already wounded ranked, which is far overdue as it is due to the issues and fails of the last four months.

Sign in to follow this