You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Die95

Smoke Dispersion Speed Limit

6 comments in this topic

Members
68 posts
2,954 battles

Now that WG has greatly reduced the effectiveness of smoke, should the smoke dispersion speed limit be increased to allow for more utility?

For those unaware, WG changed the smoke dispersion speed limit many years back prior to the introduction of radar and the smoke firing penalty. At that time it was a problem as DD's going full speed while deploying smoke would "blink" in and out of sight. Therefore WG introduced the speed limit where if one was going too fast, they would deploy the smoke cloud behind them and remain visible. 

As players now have access to radar, smoke firing has been nerfed, and WG added the marker on the minimap to show where one is aiming, I propose that we increase the current smoke dispersion speed limit to allow to players not having to stop to a crawl to use their smoke. It would add a little more utility to smoke and reduce the occasions where you think you would be in your smoke cloud then get caught outside of it.

• Cool 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,168 posts
3,967 battles

No.

It was added to stop players from being invisible as soon as they hit smoke while running at high speed.

Honestly smoke shouldn't be used to save yourself in most instances but to help protect your team mates by breaking LoS for them while you keep eyes on the enemy.

Forcing the player to slow down first helps get DD players to think about what they're going to do as they approach the enemy. They have to figure out where the enemy DD might be, and how to break LOS with or without smoke if they're seen.

It means less knife fights to the death at the start of the game for DDs and helps keep them alive longer.

[USCC2]
Members
5,776 posts

Yes....

I think there is a possible reason to increase the ability of some ships with speed/smoke deployment:

Mainly the ability to travel at half speed rather than a quarter for those ships that trail smoke (Perth/Haida and future ships like these). It always made me chuckle as I imagine someone with a branch in front of them slowly moving along saying 'no one knows where I am' - Invisible boy from Mystery Men! :Smile_teethhappy:

It 'could possibly' be looked at for the RN line who have a limited smoke release, but do have a dependancy on smoke as part of their damage mitigation. Especially with the map marker that Die95 describes and I see so many CCs laugh about on YouTube whilst blatting a ship. 

I believe the other use of smoke is fine and reasonably balanced and MadWolf makes very valid points.

So yes, I think 'IF' it is found that the above ship lines show they are suffering with survival, smoke/speed deployment could be a valid option, as the change would centre around them and not really benefit others (their smoke was always  meant more for them than others). :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

Members
68 posts
2,954 battles
8 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

No.

It was added to stop players from being invisible as soon as they hit smoke while running at high speed.

Honestly smoke shouldn't be used to save yourself in most instances but to help protect your team mates by breaking LoS for them while you keep eyes on the enemy.

Forcing the player to slow down first helps get DD players to think about what they're going to do as they approach the enemy. They have to figure out where the enemy DD might be, and how to break LOS with or without smoke if they're seen.

It means less knife fights to the death at the start of the game for DDs and helps keep them alive longer.

I should have clarified. I do not suggest removing the speed limit completely, I want to raise it so that ships deploying smoke are not forced to slow to 15 knts (I'm not sure what the speed limit is) before deploying smoke. I think a 22-25 knt speed limit is much more reasonable that the current one that limits traveling at 1/4 speed.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,168 posts
3,967 battles
55 minutes ago, Die95 said:

I should have clarified. I do not suggest removing the speed limit completely, I want to raise it so that ships deploying smoke are not forced to slow to 15 knts (I'm not sure what the speed limit is) before deploying smoke. I think a 22-25 knt speed limit is much more reasonable that the current one that limits traveling at 1/4 speed.

Slowing down to 15 knots is super fast.