You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

First 5 battles - feedback

2 comments in this topic

[WAG]
Members
1,860 posts
11,039 battles

I don;t play CV and while I may mess around with them at some point my perspective on this is from that of the person that has to defend from CV attack.

I want to be able to focus fire. In the case of more than one CV, and there will be these situations, I must be able to focus the torps planes over bombers... in the case of an attack by both, I don;t care about the bombers, I care about the torpedo planes.

AA mechanics seem to work ok, I am able to dodge and avoid, as well as disrupt attacks.

I will note that playing a battle where there are 4 CVs against 1 dd, 1bb and 1 cl is pointless in testing for the AA side of things... with that many planes in the air it is pointless to attempt any action and it is impossible to know what your aa is firing at of course death awaits... how about capping it to two CVs? .... there is no point is me trying to evaluate the new AA in situation where I am overwhelmed to a point that will never happen in regular battles... 

CVs seem to be able to do damage and I seem to be able to shoot down planes with AA spec'd jp cruisers...

Members
689 posts
5,687 battles

I don;t play CV and while I may mess around with them at some point my perspective on this is from that of the person that has to defend from CV attack.

Good on you, most of the playerbase is too lazy / disenchanted from CV to even bother to learn how to counter them, and would instead just complain on forums about things they have no experience with.

I want to be able to focus fire. In the case of more than one CV, and there will be these situations, I must be able to focus the torps planes over bombers... in the case of an attack by both, I don;t care about the bombers, I care about the torpedo planes.

The AA system is a little different from before. There is no "focus fire", but you can change your reinforced sector with the O button, adding up to 50+ more AA output on a side (for DDs / CV). Planes take damage from flak they fly into and damage over time from short range systems. All planes in the aura take this damage regardless, focusing is not needed.

AA mechanics seem to work ok, I am able to dodge and avoid, as well as disrupt attacks.

Dodging torps is easiest, bombs are a little harder, rockets are probably the best for guaranteed hits. The torps are actually kinda terrible. I've been hit by them maybe once. The AA also feels very all-or-nothing, where I shoot down 45 in a stock fletcher, then zero in an AA spec Gearing.

CVs seem to be able to do damage and I seem to be able to shoot down planes with AA spec'd jp cruisers... 

New AA system favors more guns rather than actually good AA guns. There were times on Test where Yamato felt like a much better AA boat than Montana, purely because of the number of 25mm guns it had. As for damage, T4 and T6 CV are horribly anemic. T8 starts to get good. The t10 is jaw dropping with how much damage potential a good player has.

Overall, did they rework CV to be more accessible? Yeah. I think so. Is the skill gap smaller? Maybe a bit. Fighter control is no longer a thing, alongside squadron management. Lining up good drops and knowing where to strike is a learned skill. I still think there will be a large parity between good and bad players (which is OK, and could be fine in this iteration).

All we need now is skill based MM for CV to match similarly-skilled CV players with others of their level and a better CV economy. Hopefully the rework allows enough new players in to permit a fairer matchmaking system for those carriers.