You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mustangman6579

US Venture Recovers 230,000 gallons of Oil From Wreck of WW2 German Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen

50 comments in this topic

[DNGRZ]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,775 battles

[LEGIO]
Members
3,388 posts
7,262 battles

Yeah I think we drew Prinz Eugen out of a hat along with one of the Z-23 class destroyers. The Soviets got the Nurnberg and refitted it for service as the "Admiral Makarov". I don't know what the UK got.

If the Soviets drew Prinz Eugen they would have undoubtedly refit it for service in the Soviet Navy like they did with Nurnberg. We had more than enough heavy cruisers so we took some of the nicer components off it, evaluated the rest of the ship, and then sunk it as a target in nuclear tests.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,613 posts
9,807 battles
Just now, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Yeah I think we drew Prinz Eugen out of a hat along with one of the Z-23 class destroyers. The Soviets got the Nurnberg and refitted it for service as the "Admiral Makarov". I don't know what the UK got.

If the Soviets drew Prinz Eugen they would have undoubtedly refit it for service in the Soviet Navy like they did with Nurnberg. We had more than enough heavy cruisers so we took some of the nicer components off it, evaluated the rest of the ship, and then sunk it as a target in nuclear tests.

Kinda wished we saved it for a museum. Same with some of the Japanese ships we took.

[TORAS]
Members
125 posts
1,500 battles

I await the day that the Prinz arises as a mutated Kaiju to terrorize us all. 

[DNGRZ]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,775 battles
Just now, Kevik70 said:

Kinda wished we saved it for a museum. Same with some of the Japanese ships we took.

Same here. But we didn't have that thinking back then. Same with old cars. 

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles
2 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

1 minute ago, Kevik70 said:

Agreed.  The U.S also received Nagato from the Japanese and used it for testing.  Two ships that would have made amazing museums

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
10 minutes ago, Hatsuzuki_DD said:

Agreed.  The U.S also received Nagato from the Japanese and used it for testing.  Two ships that would have made amazing museums

We had no concept of such things at the time - it was all about vengeance; all about stripping any emblems of strength from a defeated foe and then further disgracing them by throwing them disdainfully away.

Given that the Germans refused the Turkish offer to sell Goeben/Yavuz for scrap value in 1972, I sincerely doubt that an example of the bellicose past would have been preserved - especially one associated with the Nazis. On the other hand entirely, Nagato - of course - would have been transformed into the coolest museum ever.  

Edited by Battlecruiser_Kongo
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 4

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,613 posts
9,807 battles
1 minute ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

We had no concept of such things at the time - it was all about vengeance; all about stripping any emblems of strength from a defeated foe and then further disgracing them by throwing them disdainfully away.

Given that the Germans refused the Turkish offer to sell Goeben/Yavuz for scrap value in 1972, I sincerely doubt that an example of the bellicose past would have been preserved - especially one associated with the Nazis. Nagato, of course, would have been transformed into the coolest museum ever.  

Pretty sure we still have a German U-Boat we captured during the war on display somewhere.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,448 posts

if I recall one of the US coastguard tall-ships is a former German WW2 war-prize that was built by the Nazi's in the 1930's.

edit:

USCGC Eagle = Horst Wessel

EAGLE_under_full_sail_in_2013.jpg

Edited by b101uk
added link etc
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,762 posts
2,134 battles
6 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Given that the Germans refused the Turkish offer to sell Goeben/Yavuz for scrap value in 1972, I sincerely doubt that an example of the bellicose past would have been preserved - especially one associated with the Nazis. On the other hand entirely, Nagato - of course - would have been transformed into the coolest museum ever.  

Would Yavuz really have been associated with the Nazi's? It belonged to a different era of German politics, after all. Then again, I suppose one might be a bit afraid of errecting a museum that could in any way be seen as a nationalist museum...

[BOATC]
Members
381 posts
10,818 battles

Didn't they have some kind of high-vis paint for the testing? I kind of want USS Prinz Eugen and Nagato in their test schemes.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
10 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Pretty sure we still have a German U-Boat we captured during the war on display somewhere.

Totally different. A) it was a battle trophy - a captured vessel, as opposed to what was regarded as an inferior relic being ceded by a defeated foe. B) it's far, FAR less expensive to "de-feather and stuff" a U-Boat than a heavy cruiser. Look at the state of the American survivors Little Rock (CL) and Salem (CA) - both are in pretty horrendous shape. I can't imagine any fate for Prinz Eugen domestically other than scrapping/scuttling. 

• Meh 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
628 posts
5,911 battles

I heard Navy command intentionally put Nagato under ground zero of the nuke tests, since its bridge directed the Pearl Harbour attack.   They really hated her.

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
20 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Would Yavuz really have been associated with the Nazi's? It belonged to a different era of German politics, after all. Then again, I suppose one might be a bit afraid of errecting a museum that could in any way be seen as a nationalist museum...

Yavuz was associated with the "war-mongering, nationalistic" Prussian culture. 

I am not a person who believes Prussia was evil, by the way - I do not see Germany of WWI as any worse or better than the other powers (in fact, there are certain ways in which they were much more progressive than the British [others not]). But the Germany of 1970; the German citizens of 1970 (and, to a great extent, present-day Germany) have been taught from an early age that that Prussian legacy can be traced as the lineage of fascism. 

I actually wrote several papers in graduate school contesting that very point. But it's one that historians and historiography itself are deeply concerned with.

• Cool 1

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,613 posts
9,807 battles
15 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Totally different. A) it was a battle trophy - a captured vessel, as opposed to what was regarded as an inferior relic being ceded by a defeated foe. B) it's far, FAR less expensive to "de-feather and stuff" a U-Boat than a heavy cruiser. Look at the state of the American survivors Little Rock (CL) and Salem (CA) - both are in pretty horrendous shape. I can't imagine any fate for Prinz Eugen domestically other than scrapping/scuttling. 

Which is understandable but one can dream can't he.

[IGU]
[IGU]
Beta Testers
4,207 posts

better to go out with a bang then in a scrap yard

[APOC-]
[APOC-]
Members
84 posts
3,824 battles
27 minutes ago, Ann_Darrow said:

I heard Navy command intentionally put Nagato under ground zero of the nuke tests, since its bridge directed the Pearl Harbour attack.   They really hated her.

Nope, she was 1500 meters from ground zero in the first test and was barely damaged, in the second test she was 870 meters from ground zero.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
628 posts
5,911 battles
6 minutes ago, Shocri said:

Nope, she was 1500 meters from ground zero in the first test and was barely damaged, in the second test she was 870 meters from ground zero.

Well, it would've made a flashy Hollywood ending for sure if it was true.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
26 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Which is understandable but one can dream can't he.

I agree. There are about 15 ships that should have been preserved that I cringe at a little every time I hear the name. Warspite is probably at the top. 

But, then again, I would have seen Haruna raised and saved, too D:

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,601 posts
4,602 battles
1 hour ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

then sunk it as a target in nuclear tests.

Sank it with a quarter million gallons of fuel oil aboard?  What about the environmental movement?  Or was that why the nuclear tests were secret? so Greenpeace didn't try to blockade...

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,601 posts
4,602 battles
34 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

But the Germany of 1970; the German citizens of 1970 (and, to a great extent, present-day Germany) have been taught from an early age that that Prussian legacy can be traced as the lineage of fascism. 

Given Germany's long history, let's just leave it that way.