Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kirby

What is Karma?

21 comments in this topic

Members
56 posts
4,058 battles

What the heck is karma? In the last few hours I've noticed that I've been reported and complimented and it says my karma has increased/decreased. I have played this game for a while and I have noticed it.

[INTEL]
Members
7,308 posts
31,948 battles
5 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Karma just tracks your compliments and reports. It is useless for anything

Not exactly

1. more Karma increases a bit the numbers of compliments/reports you can give

2. Karma and $3 will buy you a cup of coffee

Edited by alexf24

[N-W-T]
Members
1,919 posts
7,557 battles

The higher your karma, the more reports and compliments you can give out per day. I think it caps out at 8 when you get to 19 karma. But yes it's useless. 

[THOR]
Members
357 posts
5,058 battles
5 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Karma just tracks your compliments and reports. It is useless for anything

Yep That about sums it up. Yesterday in rank me and another Graf Spree got told we were the cause of lost and yet I was one and the other was two and we killed all three ships on our team. Got reported. Next Rank killed three ships won number one and got a compliment. it is mostly used to throw salt at you.

[SEOP]
Members
1,543 posts
8,233 battles
10 minutes ago, Kirby said:

What the heck is karma? In the last few hours I've noticed that I've been reported and complimented and it says my karma has increased/decreased. I have played this game for a while and I have noticed it.

if your salty, count on a lot of minus karma.  if your super-super good and carry your team on your back you might occasionally -- very occasionally -- get a begrudging plus Karma. :Smile_trollface:   

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[JHF]
Members
370 posts
6,061 battles

there is a little number by your rank level....  Being the most people rather use the report feature as a negative.... The value is probably at zero, other wise it increases by one for everytime some sends a compliment report.

Most often.... I get guys who report me for killing them..... the enemy.....

[SEOP]
Members
1,543 posts
8,233 battles
1 minute ago, Hydra_360ci said:

Most often.... I get guys who report me for killing them..... the enemy.....

I only do that if the dude/dudette does a fair amount of gloating in the chat after they -- by pure luck :Smile_trollface: -- succeed in killing my pixels.   

[A-D-F]
Members
1,182 posts
5,547 battles
11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Karma is just a general stat to see how other players feel about how you play the game, but it doesn't really affect anything with the exception that the higher your Karma rating, the more compliments and reports you can give out to other players in a 24-hour period.

From the WoWs Wiki update 0.5.2 and 0.6.6 patch notes

Karma SystemEdit

• Karma is calculated as the difference between the number of compliments and reports received, and may not be less than zero. Karma is displayed by the player's nickname.
  • It is prohibited to compliment and report players within the same Division.
  • If a player is complimented or reported, a system message appears after a battle. The system message for reports will be displayed only if a player has been reported by at least two players.
  • The system message for compliments will show the specific number of people who complimented you (without specifying their nicknames, however).

We've increased the daily limit for compliments and reports. Now, once you've achieved a certain Karma level, your daily limit will also increase:

Karma Level Limit on reports and compliments
0 - 19 7 reports and 7 compliments
20 - 49 8 reports and 8 compliments
50 - 79 9 reports and 9 compliments
80 - 109 10 reports and 10 compliments
> 110 11 reports and 11 compliments
  • Cool 1

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

If you want to drop your karma, play a CV. If you carry, people on the enemy team report for being good. If you win, your team reports you because you nearly cost them the game even if it was one sided. If you lose, everyone on your team reports you because the loss was obviously your fault and they had nothing to do with it. 

• Funny 1

[ALL41]
Members
478 posts
10,265 battles

So, I'm also curious, is karma also related to the "Member's total reputation" points listed here on the forum *just above our number of posts.    If they're different, from where does that number derive ?

[SEOP]
Members
1,543 posts
8,233 battles
1 minute ago, CarbonButtprint said:

If you want to drop your karma, play a CV. If you carry, people on the enemy team report for being good. If you win, your team reports you because you nearly cost them the game even if it was one sided. If you lose, everyone on your team reports you because the loss was obviously your fault and they had nothing to do with it. 

That's the technical definition.  

[A-D-F]
Members
1,182 posts
5,547 battles
3 minutes ago, ThumperD702 said:

So, I'm also curious, is karma also related to the "Member's total reputation" points listed here on the forum *just above our number of posts.    If they're different, from where does that number derive ?

Don't think the in-game Karma rating affects or has anything to do with the forum reputation points.

[ALL41]
Members
478 posts
10,265 battles
Just now, daVinci761st said:

Don't think the in-game Karma rating affects or has anything to do with the forum reputation points.

Thanks.    So, what causes your forum reputation points to go up?

[A_51]
Members
951 posts

Karma is a mechanism provided by WG for players to vent their rage without actually accomplishing anything, kinda like the Close Door button on an elevator.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,182 posts
5,547 battles
6 minutes ago, ThumperD702 said:

Thanks.    So, what causes your forum reputation points to go up?

Not 100% sure how forum reputation points are calculated, but it could have something to do with the cool, angry, bad, boring, and funny emojis you can click on the bottom right corner of a poster's post.

• Cool 1

[NFE]
Members
349 posts
3,103 battles

Karma is "useless" in that you can't trade it for, say, beads or hand mirrors. It's a good measure of what kind of team player you are. If your karma is, say, negative 25, you probably need to adjust your play style.

In some ways, getting karma is like getting credit for a sink. You can do 95% damage to a ship, and someone else gets the sink, but over time, it evens out. I've played games where I sucked, yet didn't get dinged. I've done 100k in a win, and gotten negative karma. Or maybe I got +5, and also -6, how do you know? I pay attention to it, but not too much.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,948 posts
11,726 battles

I'm sitting on 234 karma, been stuck there for about 8 months now bc I get reported and complimented even though I rarely use chat other than to say hi to someone or obligingly respond to poi in chat

[NFE]
Members
349 posts
3,103 battles

The worst thing about karma, imho, is that I often have no idea why I got it, good or bad. I recently got a point for a so-so game, but I did get 3 sinks, so maybe someone looked at the scoreboard. I've had other games where I got negative but no clue why-maybe because I sank a red? Yesterday I gave karma to a DD captain because he got 4 torp hits on a BB to seal the win, but didn't get credit for the sink. I texted him and told him why.

Sign in to follow this