You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dechion

Considering the Indianapolis

54 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
3,505 battles

For the longest time I have been a DD main (IJN, USN, and German in particular) and I still enjoy them.

Recently I started playing around with the Cleveland that I won off of a mission back when the lines split. I've had a lot of fun with her and with the sale that's currently going on I'm considering buying Indianapolis as well. 

Just curious what advice others that have played them both would have. Are the playstyles and performance similar?

Would you recommend Indy? 

If not, is there another of the tier 6 or 7 cruisers currently on sale you would recommend? If so why?

Members
6,277 posts
19,822 battles

as for other ships yes.. and then more yes. As for US cruisers, look at the Boise, the same captain can be used in the Dallas, Atlanta, Helena, Cleveland, Seattle, and Worcester as you progress... The Indi, god bless her, is not an easy ship to play.

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
580 posts
16,750 battles

Indy is a heavy cruiser with long reload. In exchange, her heavy AP shells hit hard and get improved auto bounce angles. She's definitely not an HE slinger like the Cleveland.

If you're for something similar to the Cleveland, I would suggest the Atlanta or Boise.

[WOLF8]
Members
6,849 posts
5,971 battles

AFAIK, Cleveland is a light cruiser (CL), with 155 mm (or was it 152 mm?) caliber main armament, and Indianapolis is a heavy cruiser (CA), with 203 mm main armaments. Their play style isn't quite the same, because the caliber difference dictates the reload speed, which greatly sets them apart. The whole point of the USN cruiser line split was to separate the CL's and CA's in two separate lines. Simply put, CL's are more of an automatic machine gun "dakka dakka dakka" botes, where as CA's are more of a semi-auto rifles... IMHO.

I never played Indi, but I generally hear nothing but horrible things about her. But I'm in a similar bote (lol pun) as you, having the Cleveland from the Freedom crate and is somewhat interested in USN CA's. So far, Indi is the only one available... unless you're willing to wait for Wichita, lel.

However, I did play Nueve de Julio, a Boise clone, and she is a fun ship. If you liked Cleveland, you might like Boise/Nueve de Julio as well.

My 2 doubloons.

[BNKR]
Members
1,577 posts
2,106 battles

She's okay. She's quite susceptible to eating citadels at any angle, but the guns are strong,  and having access to both radar and hydro-acoustic search at tier VII are powerful tools. She's fragile, but if you are comfortable with light cruisers, you can make her work alright.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,350 posts
17,564 battles

Indy is very mediocre and not very fun. She sacrifices a lot to bring a radar to T7. Atlanta is not necessarily better, but it's more fun. Boise is better IMO.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,502 posts
14,121 battles

Indianapolis is both trash, and relatively dissimilar to Cleveland in playstyle:

• Cleveland has mortar-ballistics, likes islands for cover, hunting destroyers with HE, farming battleships with HE and generally being awesome.
  • Indianapolis has flat ballistics, likes... not much, tries to hunt other cruisers with AP but is just a worse BB, and generally being awful.

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

I won it in some event a while back and think it’s a fun enough ship - hits hard, zigzaggy enough, and the radar can be good.  But, even discounted like it is now I wouldn’t pay cash for it.  It never seems to be the ship anyone wants to play unless it’s for weekly OPs or retraining a USN captain in CoOp.

[JHF]
Members
373 posts
7,326 battles

Indi is a Pepsi with a very short duration Radar.
In short.... it's only worth it if you got it for free.

Members
4,083 posts
4,347 battles

I imagine you'll want to try Pensacola or New Orleans first as they handle similarly. Flip side to that is you won't have radar. I like her so far, but is different from the light cruisers as mentioned above. 14 second reload, alright AA suite, good handling, long firing range, gets those better AP pen angles.  

• Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles
18 minutes ago, dechion said:

For the longest time I have been a DD main (IJN, USN, and German in particular) and I still enjoy them.

Recently I started playing around with the Cleveland that I won off of a mission back when the lines split. I've had a lot of fun with her and with the sale that's currently going on I'm considering buying Indianapolis as well. 

Just curious what advice others that have played them both would have. Are the playstyles and performance similar?

Would you recommend Indy? 

If not, is there another of the tier 6 or 7 cruisers currently on sale you would recommend? If so why?

I like mines.  It's very purty.  Its got radar at a somewhat lower tier than a lot of Tin Can players are used to.  Might as well start initiating the unsuspecting into the fun that is the radar game of higher tier matches.  

Its got great USN Cruiser AP.  Guns -- at least for me -- have always handled really well in terms of "if I aim them properly" I'm rewarded with hits.   

But like other USN cruisers, you need to keep your head on a swivel.  One lapse of attention and fun time is over for the Indy.  You can be punishing stuff right and left  with its very sweet 8-inchers when suddenly BOOM a wiener  roast camper in a Fuso at the edge of the map accidentally erases 75% of your health with a couple of AP hits.      

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,233 battles
2 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

I imagine you'll want to try Pensacola or New Orleans first as they handle similarly. Flip side to that is you won't have radar. I like her so far, but is different from the light cruisers as mentioned above. 14 second reload, alright AA suite, good handling, long firing range, gets those better AP pen angles.  

Yeah -- pretty much the above.  Grind out Pepsi and NO before throwing money at something you might very well hate.  

[WOLF3]
Members
25,226 posts
22,240 battles

The only reason to get Indianapolis is historical port queen status.

Everything else she's very bad at.  She has always been a bottom feeder.  WG tried to help her out by improving her radar range at the cost of radar active time but that hasn't helped.  I'd still call Atlanta as the better Tier VII USN Radar Cruiser.  Indianapolis is outright garbage.  New Orleans is better than her in Tier VII as a USN CA.  Pensacola in Tier VI has more firepower.

New Orleans has better rudder shift.

New Orleans shoots faster.

New Orleans is stealthier.

New Orleans has better AA.

New Orleans has more HP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
4,083 posts
4,347 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The only reason to get Indianapolis is historical port queen status.

Everything else she's very bad at.  She has always been a bottom feeder.  WG tried to help her out by improving her radar range at the cost of radar active time but that hasn't helped.  She's outright garbage.

That doesn't mean you can't carry though; but one good game does not a good ship make, yadda yadda. 

Spoiler

shot-18_12.26_18_36.37-0419.thumb.jpg.795d43610ef27331900a8dd3f4f06ffe.jpgshot-18_12.26_18_36.33-0513.thumb.jpg.5fb9ecad4b855233dd29b743f6311fae.jpg

[BLHK]
Members
558 posts
30 minutes ago, dechion said:

I think being a DD main points to the style of play you like. The Indy is a long way from that unfortunately. As others have suggested perhaps continue up the CL US line. Lots of fast firing flame throwers to aww and impress your enemy with.

After all many of the US CLs are just DDs with fat bottoms lol

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
3,505 battles

Thanks for the advice folks.

Thinking I may save my dabloons for now, perhaps Atlanta or Boise will go on sale at some point.

Members
310 posts
6,861 battles
22 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

Indy is a heavy cruiser with long reload. In exchange, her heavy AP shells hit hard and get improved auto bounce angles. She's definitely not an HE slinger like the Cleveland.

If you're for something similar to the Cleveland, I would suggest the Atlanta or Boise.

18 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

She's okay. She's quite susceptible to eating citadels at any angle, but the guns are strong,  and having access to both radar and hydro-acoustic search at tier VII are powerful tools. She's fragile, but if you are comfortable with light cruisers, you can make her work alright.

As mentioned above her AP can punch holes and her HE will start fires, just not as many or as quickly as the Cleveland, Atlanta or Baltimore. Play her around islands where she can avoid incoming fire and torps and she will net you decent damage if your aim is true. She is rather squishy and can take a lot of damage rather quickly. If she up tiered, especially to T9, make your peace with Davy Jones. Chances are you will not survive the encounter.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,168 posts
3,967 battles

Top Indy player here on NA with over 200 games in her (at least last time I checked), and I assure you she's pure trash I wouldn't pay a dime for if I had to do it again.

Go play the New Orleans, now imagine she's worse in every way, closer to the Pensacola, but weaker and missing a gun. Now throw on a 9.9km Radar that lasts for less time than to be of any use to your ship.

Now imagine War Gaming announces an impressive upcoming buff to fix her finally after their last 18 attempts fell shockingly short and didn't address much of anything.

Are you excited?

The buff is .2 seconds of Rudder Shift time.

Spend the next 5 minutes changing browsers wondering if the page loaded all the way. 

Come to accept that you've been had for the 19th time.

Cry.

Welcome to owning the Indianapolis.

Put your wallet back in your pants pocket, and remember this story everytime you hear her name.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
642 posts
5,974 battles

From my experience,  Indy is a CA that just can't take a hit.  My first experience with it was that it ate a lot of damage, and all I could do was to try to cut and run before I sank.

Members
178 posts
3,560 battles

Got an Indy from a santa crate. Ive kinda grown to enjoy it. Its got great guns and radar but is extreeeeeemly fragile,  like wet tissue.

Stay at max range and hide. Dont get focused and shes alright 

Edited by Schnauzahpowahz
Sp

Alpha Tester
6,221 posts
3,081 battles

Play her very carefully or you'll end up as sharkbait. Here's a good video to watch. It's a little dated, but the idea still applies. It's also loaded with enough dead memes to kill most mortal men.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,277 posts
12,709 battles
45 minutes ago, dechion said:

No. As a premium companion to the Cleveland, Boise would be far closer to what you are after. The skills taken by their captains have a lot in common.

Atlanta is in a category of her own.

Those who have recommended that you grind up at least to the New Orleans in the US Heavy line to see (approximately) what Indianapolis is like are correct.

I won Indianapolis in the event in the middle of 2018 and intended to use her for retraining captains between New Orleans and Des Moines. Shortly after that, I went on a grinding binge, got my first 19 point captain, and rendered the purpose for which I had won her obsolete. LOL. I still take her out from time to time, but most of my effort lately has gone into advancing tech-tree lines and so she languishes. Had I not won her, I probably would not have paid money for her.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu