Memexify

Moving WoW to another drive

8 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
345 battles

my SSD is starting to run out of space so i want to move WoW to the second drive since it takes up 60 GB.

how do i do it exactly? do i just copy the game folder to the other drive and delete it?

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,843 posts
4,871 battles

I copy it to my 4tb portable hd when I did a yearly full default wipe of my computer. And then move it back onto my computer again and it works fine. heck you can even play it from your 2nd drive

• Cool 1

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
764 posts
11,562 battles

Or... you could just download it again.

Members
3,306 posts
6,696 battles

No program demands a particular drive unless theres a reason for it. WOW just needs upon install told which drive its to be installed on. The install will tell the files where they are to point at. If the installed files are not on a SSD but installed on a hybrid or plain hard drive then there may be some slowness because of the access is not faster.  It may only occur during the initial spawn only.  

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
646 posts

just copy the games\worldofwarships  directory to the target drive 

If the launcher complains just fix the location it is looking for.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,341 posts
13,879 battles
1 hour ago, MajorRenegade said:

I copy it to my 4tb portable hd when I did a yearly full default wipe of my computer. And then move it back onto my computer again and it works fine. heck you can even play it from your 2nd drive

If there is one thing the programmers at WG did right was to not rename  and use generic DLL's that are already on every damn Windows install so you can just move it anywhere you want, just point the shortcuts to the new location.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,572 posts
3,808 battles

I suppose you could just copy paste the whole folder if your computer will let you. You will have to tell the WG center where it is, or the launcher if you still use that. Reinstalling is also an option.

60GB is way too big though. You either have a ton of replays that should be deleted, or a bunch of update files that can go.

If you just installed the game (within the last week), this size is normal. It will shortly shrink on it's own to about 30GB. If that's fine, then you can leave it where it is, and you should have much more space shortly.

• Cool 1