You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Lookin' out my front door

17 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

Got a bit of snow last night. Four-foot drifts at the front door. Took me all morning to dig the Chevy truck out. Still can't get it out of the drive until  the city plows the roads, which I doubt that they are going to do. Usually a farmer with a front loader takes pity on us and comes by though. Power was out all night and just came back on. Furnace won't run without power so I spent the night in front of the fireplace. Ho-ray to the linemen, the unsung heroes, for braving the blizzard!

IMG_0683.thumb.JPG.028b0ef11dbdcbc0e304426141b0c995.JPG

• Cool 6

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
14 minutes ago, AquaSquirrel said:

If you don't mind me asking what part of the country are you from?

Western Plains.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,567 posts
18,077 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Got a bit of snow last night.

Started out snowing for about 4 inches and then turned to rain. We now have about 4 inches of unflavored Mr. Misty out there, it will be hell if it freezes before the roads are all clear.

Now go out in that and have some fun.

CAM00039.thumb.jpg.bdc30b5eb35b57216038abf17e53d927.jpg

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,402 posts
4,198 battles

It's coming my today, fortunately will be warm enough to be rain. Will be a mess, but better than ice.

We have a wood stove, so no power doesn't affect the heat. Although we do have a generator because 3 days without water (well) is not workable. I hear you on the plowing. The road is usually plowed by a combination of farmer with big tractor, me with little tractor, and sometimes guys with plow trucks.

Life in the very little city, right?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,119 posts
14,728 battles

The gale warnings are up around Lake Superior and we are looking at as much as 15 inches here today and tonight. I am retired so can look out the window and say, no way no how am I going out in this. When I still worked I had to cross a bridge between Duluth and Superior with 153 feet of clearance to the water of St Louis bay and it can be hell on windy days.

bayfront800snap.jpg

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
28 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Life in the very little city, right?

The town calls itself a city but at 400 people I think that's just wishful thinking. I'd buy a small tractor but I'd only use it once in several years. Last year we didn't get any snow at all. I never even got out the snowblower. I'd get it out now but I'd have to shovel 50 feet of four-foot-deep snow just to get to the shop, and the little snowblower is only rated for eight inches.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,402 posts
4,198 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

The gale warnings are up around Lake Superior and we are looking at as much as 15 inches here today and tonight. I am retired so can look out the window and say, no way no how am I going out in this. When I still worked I had to cross a bridge between Duluth and Superior with 153 feet of clearance to the water of St Louis bay and it can be hell on windy days.

bayfront800snap.jpg

High bridges are no fun in nasty weather. I've been over the Mackinac Bridge in high winds, little dicey for sure. I've also been stuck when they closed it because the weather was too bad. Sometimes I wonder why I live in MI.

[TDG]
Members
1,851 posts
13,914 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

High bridges are no fun in nasty weather. I've been over the Mackinac Bridge in high winds, little dicey for sure. I've also been stuck when they closed it because the weather was too bad. Sometimes I wonder why I live in MI.

Agree with you there.

I walk Big Mac each Labor Day that I am home.  We had one year where the wind had the Bridge moving enough that walking a straight line was a challenge.

[WOLFG]
Members
10,579 posts
9,844 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Ho-ray to the linemen, the unsung heroes, for braving the blizzard!

I know a number of them.  The work is :etc_swear: sometimes, but when the work is :etc_swear: the pay is good.

They do bust it during storms though.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

Was out shoveling snow from 6 PM to 8 PM just to get to the Tacoma, which is a better off-roader than the Chevy. Got out of the drive and took a trip to see if the post Office was cleared off yet. Shouldn't have bothered, it has drifts all around it and you can't get within 30 feet of the door. There are 4WD trucks stuck sideways on main street. Obviously they didn't deliver mail today and they probably won't tomorrow either. Got stuck coming back into the shop drive and had to spend another half hour shoveling so that I could get my truck off the road. I've got chains but I'm hoping I won't have to chain up as its a hassle. Usually I drive into the shop to chain up but I've got four-foot drifts in front of the door and I can't even get in there. I'ts probably fortunate that I didn't know this snow was coming or I'd have put the trucks in the garage and shop, where they would be stuck.

This probably is the heaviest snow I've seen since we got 30 inches when I was teaching college in the Portland, Oregon area. We got 15 inches a couple of years ago in May and it took out 1800 power poles in the county. In a way that was fortunate as the county has all new power poles and we weren't without power for more than a few hours this storm. Hard to tell how much actual snow we got as it drifted so much but I'd guess at least a foot and a half. The National Weather Service says we got one and a half inches. The National Weather Service doesn't know its <bleep> from a hole in the ground.

Lookin' out my back door.

IMG_0684.thumb.JPG.a1f0c6abb405ef6bd477755331bbe799.JPG

Edited by Snargfargle

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,119 posts
14,728 battles
3 hours ago, Klaatu_Nicto said:

How Seattle buses get downhill in snow.

That is a problem anywhere when they get wet wet snow like the Pacific NW gets, even places that see lots of snow. The best thing to do when you get that kind of snow is to just stay home.