Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

Caustic Behavior

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,221
[SQUAD]
Members
2,122 posts
12,208 battles

Why?

I post a simple question over in the PT forum and get a "Boring"... do people not have lives that they hang out in forums and down vote posts. What is the point of allowing people to rank posts as boring or bad? It juts comes across as bully behavior to me.

How about we remove the down votes from the forum. They serve no constructive purpose.





( cue typical responses.... now)

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 13
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
506
[P-V-E]
Members
1,448 posts

more than a few forums have removed everything bar the up-vote/positive vote function, to avoid toxicity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,221
[SQUAD]
Members
2,122 posts
12,208 battles

It is not that votes are at all important... it is the need for other to be mean, derogatory and other wise make negative comments that do not further the conversation, but seek to shut it down, ridicule the poster and generally spread hate.
I find these people have a need to be this way, and they seek out opportunities to act this way.  It adds nothing to the conversation and often derails a productive conversation into a "he said/she said" aguement.
Removing the down votes, removes the opportunity to act  this way and would in no way detract from the forums.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,299
[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
9 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

How about we remove the down votes from the forum. They serve no constructive purpose.

Why? Its a way to say that you agree with something. When someone rates your coment as bad they are saying they dont agree with what you said. Why it need to be, "either you agree or stay quiet"?

 

We are here to debate about the game, you agree with some ideas/comments you disagree about others. Those emotes are a easy/fast way to point that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,412
[KWF]
Members
4,015 posts
6,155 battles
7 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

It is not that votes are at all important... it is the need for other to be mean, derogatory and other wise make negative comments that do not further the conversation, but seek to shut it down, ridicule the poster and generally spread hate.
I find these people have a need to be this way, and they seek out opportunities to act this way.  It adds nothing to the conversation and often derails a productive conversation into a "he said/she said" aguement.
Removing the down votes, removes the opportunity to act  this way and would in no way detract from the forums.

But isn't this to a certain extent the function of forums? For people to discuss and disagree? Now, whether someone can be polite enough or decent enough to hold a rational discussion is a totally different matter.

I don't see why down votes are this bad to be honest. Yes they may lead to a snowball effect but they are often a quick, simple and efficient way to express your dislike for someone's opinion which you consider has no basis on reality or logic.

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
506
[P-V-E]
Members
1,448 posts
Just now, Xlap said:

Why? Its a way to say that you agree with something. When someone rates your coment as bad they are saying they dont agree with what you said. Why it need to be, "either you agree or stay quiet"?

 

We are here to debate about the game, you agree with some ideas/comments you disagree about others. Those emotes are a easy/fast way to point that. 

the trouble is, there are some sad people who automatically down-vote because of who the poster is, or they have had a past disagreement etc etc.

 

if you don't agree with something, take the time to post why to further the conversation, rather than take the lazy, thoughtless and inaccurate route of down-voting/negativity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
301
[WOLFD]
Members
407 posts
3,202 battles

I sorta see both sides. It presents a quick way to disagree with a post, however I also think that if you disagree it's much more constructive to explain why. When I was very, very new here I made an innocent post asking why people would hide stats. got a ton of down votes and had no idea why until a couple people took the time to explain that stat shaming is a real thing on here. If someone takes the time to express an opinion, take the time to explain why you disagree with that opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,417
[KYARU]
Members
3,879 posts
21,980 battles

 This post was boring to read and I had to rate it as such.

  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,299
[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
4 minutes ago, b101uk said:

the trouble is, there are some sad people who automatically down-vote because of who the poster is, or they have had a past disagreement etc etc.

There will always be some guys that are negative just because they can. Both in game and in real life. Just ignore them. 

4 minutes ago, b101uk said:

if you don't agree with something, take the time to post why to further the conversation, rather than take the lazy, thoughtless and inaccurate route of down-voting/negativity.

Sometimes there is no need to say anything. A simple emote solves "the problem". Other times, some other guy already said what you think, there is no need to wright the same thing again. Just use emotes to say, i agree with this, i disagree with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,221
[SQUAD]
Members
2,122 posts
12,208 battles
5 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

mple and efficient way to express your dislike for someone's opinion which you consider has no basis on reality or logic.

Why does anyone need to know?  What positive purpose does it serve? Does the poster benefit from people telling them that they suck, or are boring or they made you angry with an emoticon? I see the only positive aspect is that people who like to toss negativity around get their jollies... other than that, it is a waste and is an overall negative on the entire forum.

If someone has an argument to make, they should make it. If they can't take the time to express them selves with more than a grunt, why should anyone have to listen to them.

What we are doing here, is having a discussion, which is a good thing. We are expressing complex thoughts in a way that does not insult or denigrate each other.  It serves the purpose of using critical thinking to engage in the sharing of attitudes and opinions. What generally happens is that someone comes in and starts making personal judgement s on the other posters and poof...

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,221
[SQUAD]
Members
2,122 posts
12,208 battles
Just now, Preteen said:

 This post was boring to read and I had to rate it as such.

No.. no you didn't... you could have just moved on and let us converse without throwing in the negativity bomb... see how that works... it is almost under the "if you don;t have something nice or constructive to say, don't".

... but then your addition to the thread is a perfect example of the trend.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,221
[SQUAD]
Members
2,122 posts
12,208 battles
2 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Sometimes there is no need to say anything.

EXACTLY!!

... just as there is no need to toss in a negative emote... the same rule applies!

 

  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,756
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,715 posts
12,268 battles

How good does Caustic Behavior work on slow shower drains? Mine keeps having problems. Is it safe on PVC sewer pipes?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,412
[KWF]
Members
4,015 posts
6,155 battles
8 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Why does anyone need to know?  What positive purpose does it serve? Does the poster benefit from people telling them that they suck, or are boring or they made you angry with an emoticon? I see the only positive aspect is that people who like to toss negativity around get their jollies... other than that, it is a waste and is an overall negative on the entire forum.

If someone has an argument to make, they should make it. If they can't take the time to express them selves with more than a grunt, why should anyone have to listen to them.

What we are doing here, is having a discussion, which is a good thing. We are expressing complex thoughts in a way that does not insult or denigrate each other.  It serves the purpose of using critical thinking to engage in the sharing of attitudes and opinions. What generally happens is that someone comes in and starts making personal judgement s on the other posters and poof...

I can only judge people based on their presence on the forums. You could be the best person IRL with whom I would have a hell of a time hanging with out. But here your opinion represents you.

Regarding expressing arguments and getting into discussions, sometimes less is better. You could end up in a circlejerk with nobody relenting; much more negative than getting a downvote. Check every DD/BB/HE/CV/Radar thread you want and you will witness it first hand. In that case it is a personal failing, the weakness to respect and have a proper dialogue with another person. But I would rather downvote someone whose opinion I consider illogical and who makes absolutely no sense to me than start a personal beef with him/her.

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,848
[WOLFG]
Members
27,103 posts
7,217 battles
4 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

If someone has an argument to make, they should make it. If they can't take the time to express them selves with more than a grunt, why should anyone have to listen to them.

You know, I often ask that of the people that express blatant factionism, and all I get is the same tired misinterpreted cause/effect answers. Same with the "game is rigged because I think so" posts.

If they can't be bothered to post anything but the same tired diatribes, slights, and veiled (or not) insults, then I can't be bothered to type out the same arguments that I've already expressed countless times. But a downvote is convenient enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,417
[KYARU]
Members
3,879 posts
21,980 battles
9 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

No.. no you didn't... you could have just moved on and let us converse without throwing in the negativity bomb... see how that works... it is almost under the "if you don;t have something nice or constructive to say, don't".

... but then your addition to the thread is a perfect example of the trend.

 Why do you feel the need to reply to me with such negativity? If you don't have something nice to say just move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,299
[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
6 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

EXACTLY!!

 ... just as there is no need to toss in a negative emote... the same rule applies!



Not really. As i was saying, you dont need to say anything because you can you a emote to express your opinion. 

 

LUL, do you really care all that much about a negative emote? Oh boy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,237
[TWFT]
Members
1,285 posts
35,818 battles

If you post "the sky is blue"  you will get:

50% calling you a noob and to "gut gud"

10% arguing with you on the color

10% saying the Alaska will be here next week

15% Giving yo advice on how to change your setting to make the sky gray

10% saying "Buh bie"

10% Calling if a Russian hack

and the rest complaining that all the percentages add up to 105%

oh and Lert will tell you that you need to chill.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,221
[SQUAD]
Members
2,122 posts
12,208 battles
26 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Not really. As i was saying, you dont need to say anything because you can you a emote to express your opinion. 

 

LUL, do you really care all that much about a negative emote? Oh boy... 

I care that people feel the need to be nasty and caustic.  It is not healthy for the forum or for them... the forum might have hope of changing... the caustic ones.. not so much chance for them... so remove one of the ways they get their jollies by judging others to be stupid or boring...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,633
[TBW]
Members
9,770 posts
16,559 battles
1 hour ago, b101uk said:

more than a few forums have removed everything bar the up-vote/positive vote function, to avoid toxicity.

Which also avoids reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,299
[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
10 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

I care that people feel the need to be nasty and caustic.  It is not healthy for the forum or for them... the forum might have hope of changing... the caustic ones.. not so much chance for them... so remove one of the ways they get their jollies by judging others to be stupid or boring...

  

We alrady have mods that can ban "toxic players". You dont need to remove a tool that we all use, just because a few guys use it on a bad way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×