You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BattleWoLFz

See if you are good at aiming!

26 comments in this topic

Members
3,252 posts
4,322 battles

Quick guess is that you hit his belt and he bounced most of your shots.  But that is assuming he is not turning to starboard to get more rifles on that Zao.

[WORX]
Members
9,713 posts
17,642 battles

IMO, I would say from where you're aiming. I would adjust it to one tick mark to the left and about half a tick mark up to where the bow touches the line.

If the target changes speed and cruiser do, where you are now must shots will hit the water or to much in front.

That is what I can see from his vantage point

Edited by Navalpride33

Members
2,633 posts
4,262 battles

A cruiser,  five second flight time?  A Buffalo at that.  No.  You might be able to clip the back-side of the ship but the meat of the Montana's shots will fall behind it.  Notch or two further right I'd say.

Course I am a tater,  so I am probably way off.

• Meh 1

[TORAS]
Members
125 posts
1,500 battles

at nearly 10km away, I'd aim those shots a bit higher. The main reason being that you have AP loaded and if he continues that heading, the angle will cause RNG to go stupid and still bounce some stuff BUT, the upper portions will suddenly have enough effective angle to not cause OVER PENETRATIONS. BECAUSE SCREW the OVER PEN mechanic. It's dumb as hell. 

But at this angle, you can mitigate it. 

You also have 26 seconds left on that reload, chances are he is going to turn and perhaps right at the friendly Zao which means you may get a nice wide open broad side shot by then. If so, you may need more lead. That would be my thoughts anyway. I'm a total scrub still so...

[--K--]
Members
6,634 posts
14,449 battles

I think you are aiming too low and too far back. He is way too angled (27 deg) to pen his belt. the shots will hit low, some in the water and some ricochet off the angled belt.

You need to try to get bow pens on him or maybe citadel him from the front through the bow. The marker on the minimap appears to be a hair off center, which that would be fine on a flat broadside, but not great on an angled ship that might be turning. On a shot like this where a citadel is not very likely, go for the sure pens.

Members
2,633 posts
4,262 battles
1 minute ago, Nurhaal said:

at nearly 10km away, I'd aim those shots a bit higher. The main reason being that you have AP loaded and if he continues that heading, the angle will cause RNG to go stupid and still bounce some stuff BUT, the upper portions will suddenly have enough effective angle to not cause OVER PENETRATIONS. BECAUSE SCREW the OVER PEN mechanic. It's dumb as hell. 

You also have 26 seconds left on that reload, chances are he is going to turn and perhaps right at the friendly Zao which means you may get a nice wide open broad side shot by then. If so, you may need more lead. That would be my thoughts anyway. I'm a total scrub still so...

Ahh,  good catch on the reload,  didn't notice that.

[RLGN]
Members
13,548 posts
23,672 battles

That relative bearing dial is what WG should have put in the game, not those silly lines on the minimap.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,442 posts

if he turned out, probably a dev strike.

as it appears, im going with 3 hits to the bow, 2 overpens and a bounce. would have aimed 2 ticks to left.

[RLGN]
Members
13,548 posts
23,672 battles
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

That looks like the static crosshair. I would change to dynamic. 

Three years and counting with the stock crosshair.

Members
3,725 posts

5 second travel time in a US cruiser being shot at by a Montana. Only a mega potato would not turn at all so is he going to turn in or turn out. 9km is too close to turn out so if he is smart he will turn in.

[FML]
Members
3,656 posts
14,584 battles
3 hours ago, Nurhaal said:

I assumed the 26 seconds mean the OP has just fired before taking the screenshot. So, shells are en route (but off screen). 

I see two things:

1) The cruiser is already in a turn to its left and can’t change that in time to eat a bunch of AP to its broadside - a bunch of overpens and misses, but a cit and a full pen at least. 

2) More likely, the cruiser is about to or is already turning in (to it’s right). Most shells miss or bounce but a chance one goes through the ship for solid damage, prolly full pen. But the shot seems a bit wide and low for that. 

When do do we get the answer?

Edit: My final guess to what happened - your team won massively. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[ARTIA]
Members
38 posts
4,027 battles
20 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I assumed the 26 seconds mean the OP has just fired before taking the screenshot. So, shells are en route (but off screen). 

I see two things:

1) The cruiser is already in a turn to its left and can’t change that in time to eat a bunch of AP to its broadside - a bunch of overpens and misses, but a cit and a full pen at least. 

2) More likely, the cruiser is about to or is already turning in (to it’s right). Most shells miss or bounce but a chance one goes through the ship for solid damage, prolly full pen. But the shot seems a bit wide and low for that. 

When do do we get the answer?

Edit: My final guess to what happened - your team won massively. 

Right away.

[ARTIA]
Members
38 posts
4,027 battles

OK, I am going to post the answer.

As some of you replied, yeah, I aimed low, the horizontal is just OK.

22222.thumb.jpg.15a60f59b1afdc23f23f6523461e1c62.jpg

But the shells just fell incredible low, which really confused me a bit. If I have another chance, this is where I would aim next.

33333333.thumb.jpg.d9626a6a4741683600c80d51175d7cd0.jpg

[ARTIA]
Members
38 posts
4,027 battles
On 12/27/2018 at 3:06 PM, StoneRhino said:

Quick guess is that you hit his belt and he bounced most of your shots.  But that is assuming he is not turning to starboard to get more rifles on that Zao.

Good catch on that Zao, I was not paying attention to the minimap at that time. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,618 posts
17,357 battles
On 12/27/2018 at 4:55 AM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Three years and counting with the stock crosshair.

Stock includes both a static and a dynamic.

[LSNB]
Members
1,463 posts
4,066 battles

Welp, I missed this post. Otherwise I would have advised you to aim a bit higher to avoid having most of the shells splash into the water. A citadel at this angle doesn't seem likely.

I'm still on my Iowa.

[RLGN]
Members
13,548 posts
23,672 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Stock includes both a static and a dynamic.

Whatever crosshair is there when you first start the game.

I tried the asterisk crosshair, and found the angle lines to be worthless.

If I tried the dynamic I honestly don’t recall; if I did, it apparently didn’t make a significant impression on me.

[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,881 battles

Ask yourself...is a denotation blow really what you need or consistent hits on a target? If consistency is what you are looking for try making sure you hit with as many as possible so aiming to low is not the trick aim water line or just above to ensure max hits landing. Then as the target squirms as he does some of the shots may land cits or not but at least you are landing instead of just splashing water around like a kid in a bathtub. In time you will refine your shots...

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,618 posts
17,357 battles
9 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If I tried the dynamic I honestly don’t recall; if I did, it apparently didn’t make a significant impression on me.

Use whatever works.  Same for the OP.  The best way to get good at aiming is to PLAY A LOT!  At first, you'll try the basic skills as shown in the videos....this is good and helps.  At first, it really is sort of a metric based approach to shooting.  How many tics...smoke trail...angle, etc.  But in the long term, it eventually becomes second nature...literally automatic.  

When it comes to dynamic versus fixed, over time it will not matter.  The human brain will automatically integrate the dynamic delta of the static cross hairs.  It will do this subconsciously...a player won't even know he's doing it...it is...literally...automatic.  The same is true for a dynamic cross hair, the brain will get use to that as well.

The reason I recommend dynamic to new players is because it has a better "metric-based" lead measurement.  It makes it easier to maintain lead when changing zoom.  But in the long run it doesn't matter because whatever method someone uses, their brain will  eventually "fill in the delta" automatically.  And it does this over thousands of games.

[1984]
Members
3,909 posts
18,842 battles
10 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The lines are for the spotter plane, and work incredibly well. I was with stock but changed to dynamic cause tier 10 you need to lead offscreen with stock, but miss those lines

[RLGN]
Members
13,548 posts
23,672 battles
33 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Use whatever works.  Same for the OP.  The best way to get good at aiming is to PLAY A LOT!  At first, you'll try the basic skills as shown in the videos....this is good and helps.  At first, it really is sort of a metric based approach to shooting.  How many tics...smoke trail...angle, etc.  But in the long term, it eventually becomes second nature...literally automatic.  

When it comes to dynamic versus fixed, over time it will not matter.  The human brain will automatically integrate the dynamic delta of the static cross hairs.  It will do this subconsciously...a player won't even know he's doing it...it is...literally...automatic.  The same is true for a dynamic cross hair, the brain will get use to that as well.

The reason I recommend dynamic to new players is because it has a better "metric-based" lead measurement.  It makes it easier to maintain lead when changing zoom.  But in the long run it doesn't matter because whatever method someone uses, their brain will  eventually "fill in the delta" automatically.  And it does this over thousands of games.

Pretty much. Had a lot of trouble an first misses at first, but when I finally saw a vid about aiming (iChase, I think,) and the flight time counter and tick marks clicked in my head, aiming and first hits became easier; now it is pretty much automatic.

[RLGN]
Members
13,548 posts
23,672 battles
13 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

The lines are for the spotter plane, and work incredibly well. I was with stock but changed to dynamic cause tier 10 you need to lead offscreen with stock, but miss those lines

lol

Off screen aiming.

Been a few destroyers and cruisers that got a bit of a shock when I ‘aimed’ at the twenty plus mark (which of course doesn’t actually exist,) and let fly some max range shots.