You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
thehelmsman

Ultimate Frontier

32 comments in this topic

[GC]
Alpha Tester
806 posts
3,768 battles

Does anyone else absolutely dread this Op coming around in the rotation? Because I do. Ever since they overhauled it, it's STUPIDLY overtuned and unforgiving, especially if you don't get an ideal team comp for it.

--Helms

• Cool 3

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,588 battles

With random teams UF winning can be very difficult. I have gotten 5 star victories with random teams but not very often.

While this is my least favorite op I don't dread it. Loosing in Aegis or Killer Whale is far more aggravating to me.

As far as the question "should the bots be nerfed a little?" We all have an opinion on that but WG seems to like it the way it is.

[LTPTG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

Tough but still possible to win, the big issue I have with it is that we need to save all three costal forts to get five stars. So there is a need for fast ships in this operation. 

[GC]
Alpha Tester
806 posts
3,768 battles

I don't even care for 5 stars with a random team. I'd just like to WIN more than once every 5 or 6 rounds.

--Helms

• Cool 1

[LSNB]
Members
1,453 posts
4,063 battles

I have only gotten at most 4 stars wirh random teams with me driving my Haguro/Myoko. Saving the forts and killing the Dallas's in time are a challenge.

Last operation, two New Orleans and a Jervis who were clearly new to the operation managed to drive the two US DDs into the bottom of the map, which prompted them to chase the latter. A while later, the New Orleans got blapped by the New York. We got zero stars that match.

Edited by destawaits

[PRDEF]
Members
117 posts
7,538 battles

Managed a 3-star and a 4-star result with random teams tonight.  Lost a star both times for the forts.  IMO, WG needs to buff the forts' AA and hit points.

[LSNB]
Members
1,453 posts
4,063 battles
1 minute ago, thehelmsman said:

I don't even care for 5 stars with a random team. I'd just like to WIN more than once every 5 or 6 rounds.

--Helms

I would like that too; after all, operations rewards are quite nice.

[LTPTG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

For this operation lot of team work has to be in the works. I'm glad I have an ideal ship for this, the Scharnhorst. It's fast firing guns and the fact lots of tier 5 battleships and a lot of Cruisers and destroyers make it quite decent.

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

Go to the "Channels" tab, click "Operations" and find a division. I'm seeing alot of players forming divisions for Cherry Blossom or Dynamo. Forget Ultimate FU.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, alex08060 said:

For this operation lot of team work has to be in the works. I'm glad I have an ideal ship for this, the Scharnhorst. It's fast firing guns and the fact lots of tier 5 battleships and a lot of Cruisers and destroyers make it quite decent.

The Scharnhorst is a very good BB for this operation.  From my experience, it's best to have 2 BBs.  And for one of them to be a fast one, to go up into the northeast corner to deal with the  cruiser or 2 that show up.  The other BB can be a slower one and hang around the forts and the repair base.

The funky thing about this operation to me is that it'd be a good operation for Axis ships only, given that the bots are all USN ships.  But there are no Axis radar ships, and radar is useful at the very start to spot that pair of DDs.  Maybe not an absolute requirement, but useful.  And it's also worth pointing out that it seems like the best cruisers to bring are American or British CLs,  for their RoF (plus the radar on some of them).  On the flip side, the existing Axis cruisers are 2 CAs (the Yorck and Myoko) and the CL Abruzzi.  

It might be interesting to try to do this operation with Axis ships only.

[INTEL]
Members
12,341 posts
34,241 battles
2 hours ago, Wolcott said:

Go to the "Channels" tab, click "Operations" and find a division. I'm seeing alot of players forming divisions for Cherry Blossom or Dynamo. Forget Ultimate FU.

Even better, find the Hoperations server on Discord or PM me and I will send you a link. We have a dedicated Operations server, with scores of players, usually on weekends 2-3 full operations divisions going, and most of us veterans are experienced and know what to expect. 

• Cool 1

[1-]
Members
108 posts
3,644 battles

Holy crap this op is broken! It wouldn't be so bad if the bots weren't cheating. I was just in one with a DD, and figured I'd try to sneak up behind the CV to take it out early. On my way there, the bot CV sends bombers straight at me when I get about 15km from where he's hiding, AWAY from everything else on the map, spots me, and I get nuked almost instantly by the dallas in one salvo. I think I'm done playing this one.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,031 posts
7,286 battles

Bots always know where you are.  Bots are super accurate and set fires ALL the time.  Very tough to get a win in this op.

[CVMMP]
Members
293 posts
896 battles

This operations isn't even hard. Its more on people have no idea how the game works let alone know what to do in operations or simply just idgaf and ruin others day. 

bot cheating? Bot are very preditable and you know what were they up to. If you lose against bot phoenix then thats on you. 

Edited by New_Horizontal
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 2

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,588 battles
5 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

--Helms

Me too. While I do not record the results of each match I can safely say wins are rare, maybe less than 20% with random teams.

[4HIM]
Members
2,908 posts
11,219 battles
4 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Bots are super accurate and set fires ALL the time. 

Yep.  Bots in Ultimate F.U. have a 1,000,000,000% chance of starting a fire.  They point their guns in the general direction of the grid square you're in and your ship gets multiple perma-fires.  Several times post game I've looked at the damage I've taken.  The number of shell hits was the same as the number of fires I took.  And let's not even talk about the Yuro level torpedo beats the bots can do.

Did manage a 3 star win in it the other day.  I did die (due to fires, what a shock) but managed to blunt the rush to the repair base.  But quite frankly, I was surprised it was a win.  Typically the bots kill all the forts and destroy the base with about a minute remaining.  But Ultimate F.U. and Hermes (due to being so nation restricted) are my least favorite Ops.  Though Ultimate F.U. wins that contest by a country mile.  

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
1,133 posts
9,438 battles
8 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

--Helms

See below\/

7 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

Honestly, randoms are usually less frustrating than this one.

--Helms

I look forward to this op. Yes, it can fall apart in seconds, but It is nevertheless one of my favorites. Even with a good team, a 5-star is not guaranteed. That makes it a challenge. Have I spit invective's at my keyboard when this op falls apart? Yes indeed I have. It sure makes a 5-star victory sweet though.

5 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Even better, find the Hoperations server on Discord or PM me and I will send you a link. We have a dedicated Operations server, with scores of players, usually on weekends 2-3 full operations divisions going, and most of us veterans are experienced and know what to expect. 

Be sure to invite iDuckman! He loves(to cuss about) this op!

[4HIM]
Members
2,908 posts
11,219 battles
5 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Even better, find the Hoperations server on Discord

The times I've gone over there it looked like the server was empty.  I'll have to try again.  I kind of enjoy the Dynamo Op and would like to play it more.  Great way to grind those DD's.  Need more XP on Minsk and Icarus.  

[PVE]
Members
430 posts
16,970 battles

Ultimate Frontier is a mess! I praise the WOWS dev team for there work in most of the other Scenarios in Operations , Cherry Blossom, Dynamo,Aegis , ect.. are all fun to play and you can get a win if you have a few ok players on your team, that can not be said about UF . you should not have to go on Discord or round up a division of players to get a win in Operations at least in the "normal mode" as is the only mode working at this time .

Play Dynamo then, play UF that's a huge ratcheting up of the skill level or Cherry Blossom or Aegis ....UF is just not consistent in the skill level of the other Ops .

Please tone down UF and make it enjoyable as the other Ops and activate the "normal/hard option

[P-V-E]
Members
1,449 posts

finally got 5 starts last night after siting on 4 stars since it came out, then was changed, it was with a random team too.

[INTEL]
Members
2,783 posts
15,307 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

The times I've gone over there it looked like the server was empty.  I'll have to try again.  I kind of enjoy the Dynamo Op and would like to play it more.  Great way to grind those DD's.  Need more XP on Minsk and Icarus.  

It's going to depend on the time of day.  It's early evening CST before people start trickling in.  Late evening is best.

[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,395 battles

First battle in it since it came back around - 5 Star

With people who know what they are doing, it's not that bad.