Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Camo68

USS Black - Setup questions

15 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
3,676 posts
21,161 battles

Just got the black and looking at the best setup from experienced players.

Thinking a pretty standard build as per below but just looking to see if there are any little game play differences / Hints & tips etc.  Like does anyone run Torp Acceleration and how does it go ...

image.jpeg.4d3709e6883ea6248a9dbe3bc3db934e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.12b539ce40277b22d580595e61c04b88.jpeg

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,216 posts
13,788 battles

I think I might be tempted to run SI, not something I usually like on USN DDs but an extra radar charge seems nice.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
977 posts
8,628 battles

Just picked mine up too. Only 6 games in and putting up very average numbers. 

You’re running exactly what I am, but I have SI as opposed to BFT. Although I’m rethinking that as well. The extra 10% DPM is definitely felt when trying to gun down DDs in smoke while radar is still up. 

Ill be interested to see what other people are running. 

Members
9,126 posts
10,600 battles

I didn't take SI, as I use either my Fletcher or Gearing captain in mine, and I didn't take TA, because 48 knots is honestly, at t-9 and 10, not much different than 43, and I wanted to keep that 13.7km range to surprise butttorp the unwary.

[SYN]
Members
3,676 posts
21,161 battles
5 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I didn't take SI, as I use either my Fletcher or Gearing captain in mine, and I didn't take TA, because 48 knots is honestly, at t-9 and 10, not much different than 43, and I wanted to keep that 13.7km range to surprise butttorp the unwary.

Hey Krim, question about your tag.  Shouldn't it be 'Pilot' ships?

Members
9,126 posts
10,600 battles
29 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

Hey Krim, question about your tag.  Shouldn't it be 'Pilot' ships?

Newp, I'm not taking them into port or trying to dock them. :P

[-GPS-]
Members
2,894 posts
33,875 battles
14 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I confess that I had no idea Black torps have 13.7 km range.

What is their detection distance while waddling along?

Members
9,126 posts
10,600 battles
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I confess that I had no idea Black torps have 13.7 km range.

What is their detection distance while waddling along?

.9km. Much surprise butttorping to be had, here.  : D

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,669 posts
7,770 battles

Is IFHE worth it on the Black? Or are the guns too small for it to make a difference at Tier IX?

Beta Testers
91 posts
6,300 battles
12 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Is IFHE worth it on the Black? Or are the guns too small for it to make a difference at Tier IX?

You can do significant damage to cruisers with IFHE, but the Black is mainly a DD hunter, so it would be best to stick with RPF

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,329 posts
13,167 battles

Black is an interesting beast.  She has amazing levels of tools to fight DDs but is rather weak against BBs and CAs compared to her peers due to her torp armament's speed.

If I were going to set up a Black specific build it would be this:  http://bit.ly/2LHIUUW  Note Ovechkin as captain.  That is the best captain for US DDs to utilize for the increase HP from SE.  If you dont have Ovechkin, a regular captain would be nearly as good.

To sum up the build I spec heavily into guns.  The torps 96 second base reload is fast enough for a weapon that is for area denial.  The gun build synergizes well with punishing DDs during your radar.  SI is selected as the ship has that crazy strong combo of radar and smoke.  You can drop smoke for team mates then scout and radar targets for the team.  SI gives you the staying power to hang in the long fights needed to carry battles over caps.  The extra smoke IMO also lets you play more aggressive with smoke which typically adds more over all damage over the course of the game than BFT and TAE only knocks off less than 10 seconds on the torps.  

Normally I am a proponent of BFT over DE.  In this case I tend to side with DE to help shore up a specific weakness to CA and BBs with increase chance of fire damage.  BFT would not however be a bad choice.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
977 posts
8,628 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Black is an interesting beast.  She has amazing levels of tools to fight DDs but is rather weak against BBs and CAs compared to her peers due to her torp armament's speed.

If I were going to set up a Black specific build it would be this:  http://bit.ly/2LHIUUW  Note Ovechkin as captain.  That is the best captain for US DDs to utilize for the increase HP from SE.  If you dont have Ovechkin, a regular captain would be nearly as good.

To sum up the build I spec heavily into guns.  The torps 96 second base reload is fast enough for a weapon that is for area denial.  The gun build synergizes well with punishing DDs during your radar.  SI is selected as the ship has that crazy strong combo of radar and smoke.  You can drop smoke for team mates then scout and radar targets for the team.  SI gives you the staying power to hang in the long fights needed to carry battles over caps.  The extra smoke IMO also lets you play more aggressive with smoke which typically adds more over all damage over the course of the game than BFT and TAE only knocks off less than 10 seconds on the torps.  

Normally I am a proponent of BFT over DE.  In this case I tend to side with DE to help shore up a specific weakness to CA and BBs with increase chance of fire damage.  BFT would not however be a bad choice.

Solid setup and logic. 

kb.png.50c5394f3902c3c1d91375b7af2cf23b.png

This is the build that I usually run on the Kidd and I think would synergize well with the Black also. Max rate of fire with BFT, and Vigilance helps me a lot in avoiding torps while in smoke, which I'm noticing in the Black you attract a lot of. In place of that, you could instead choose Adrenaline Rush and Prev. Maint, or DE. 

Edited by Falls_USMC
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

KuroshioKai, for what it's worth, I think that people don't recognize the value of using AP with USN DDs against BBs and cruisers, particularly at longer ranges where the shell trajectories are rather high.  And as a result of that, those same people tend to start looking to DE and IFHE to buff their HE shells, when they could be getting surprisingly more damage with AP.  Yes, they won't have a chance to start fires with HE, and sometimes that can be particularly important (such as just after you've noticed a BB use his DC party and he's ripe for a nice long BBQ).  But if you're just trying to produce damage, AP can be quite good.  Sure, if the target starts angling, then it's time to switch to HE.  But often, BBs will ignore the minor damage from a pew-pewing USN DD.

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,329 posts
13,167 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

KuroshioKai, for what it's worth, I think that people don't recognize the value of using AP with USN DDs against BBs and cruisers, particularly at longer ranges where the shell trajectories are rather high.  And as a result of that, those same people tend to start looking to DE and IFHE to buff their HE shells, when they could be getting surprisingly more damage with AP.  Yes, they won't have a chance to start fires with HE, and sometimes that can be particularly important (such as just after you've noticed a BB use his DC party and he's ripe for a nice long BBQ).  But if you're just trying to produce damage, AP can be quite good.  Sure, if the target starts angling, then it's time to switch to HE.  But often, BBs will ignore the minor damage from a pew-pewing USN DD.

Thats usually why I prefer BFT to DE.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this