Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

I'd forgotten how fun this ship was

8 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,454 posts

As soon as I could afford the Gearing, I sold my Fletcher to pay for it. Now, I like the Gearing, very much so. The Gearing is stealthy (+ with the legendary module), tanky (+ with the survivability skill), and has those amazing long-range torpedoes that can really reach out and touch the enemy team.

However, I'd heard that next ranked season was going to be tier IX, and I had none. Therefore, I re-purchased the Fletcher.

I'd forgotten just how fun and powerful the Fletcher could be.  Now, the Gearing can use the Fletcher's torps. However, its reload is still somewhat long. The Fletcher, at 5.8 km detection and 80-second reload is a good torpedo boat. In the last game I played, I even beat a Gearing 1v1 in a gun battle, though he made the mistake of trying to torpedo me while I was hammering him with shells or he surely would have sunk me. I like the Fletcher's ability to dodge torpedoes and turn around in caps too. I'd also forgotten how nimble it is compared to the Gearing.

Now, I just have to play it a bunch to get its commander up to a 19-pointer so that I can get it ready for next ranked season.

shot-18_12.26_15_31.06-0822.jpg.0007f68202771b3531d419042f4474b1.jpg

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,656 posts
14,584 battles

Nice. 

I couldn’t decide if the Fletcher and Gearing were gunboat s or torp boats - I think I had more success as a primary torp boat, because more recently introduced dedicated gunboats would still beat me, but her torps are excellent. 

So, I play mine like torp boats who can gun, and contest caps without going balls deep.

seemed to work for me. 

Members
949 posts
10,819 battles

I've always wanted the Fletch!  I have Benson unlocked,  not interested in much more grinding.  Fletcher is still one of the main DDs I look out for, for whatever reason they are harder to deal with than most Gearing.  

Now's my chance: ever since getting Shima (too early for my skills) I have hated Gearing and almost nothing makes me happier than dunking on a Gearing, especially while in my Shima which I still love! 

Back in the day, there was only Gearing to counter me, and they did, and it evidently damaged me for life...

[IRNBN]
Members
3,146 posts
8,338 battles
45 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

As soon as I could afford the Gearing, I sold my Fletcher to pay for it. Now, I like the Gearing, very much so. The Gearing is stealthy (+ with the legendary module), tanky (+ with the survivability skill), and has those amazing long-range torpedoes that can really reach out and touch the enemy team.

However, I'd heard that next ranked season was going to be tier IX, and I had none. Therefore, I re-purchased the Fletcher.

I'd forgotten just how fun and powerful the Fletcher could be.  Now, the Gearing can use the Fletcher's torps. However, its reload is still somewhat long. The Fletcher, at 5.8 km detection and 80-second reload is a good torpedo boat. In the last game I played, I even beat a Gearing 1v1 in a gun battle, though he made the mistake of trying to torpedo me while I was hammering him with shells or he surely would have sunk me. I like the Fletcher's ability to dodge torpedoes and turn around in caps too. I'd also forgotten how nimble it is compared to the Gearing.

Now, I just have to play it a bunch to get its commander up to a 19-pointer so that I can get it ready for next ranked season.

shot-18_12.26_15_31.06-0822.jpg.0007f68202771b3531d419042f4474b1.jpg

Totally agree. I kept my Fletch when I got the Gearing, and they're still my 2 fave DD's.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
13,548 posts
23,672 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Nice. 

I couldn’t decide if the Fletcher and Gearing were gunboat s or torp boats - I think I had more success as a primary torp boat, because more recently introduced dedicated gunboats would still beat me, but her torps are excellent. 

So, I play mine like torp boats who can gun, and contest caps without going balls deep.

seemed to work for me. 

Torpedo boats?

At least for me; I can’t brawl worth spit, (basically why I rarely bother taking SE,) but  I’m reasonably good with torpedoes. Long range is fine, made things miserable for a RN and USN battleship pair who were nose-tanking in a recent Asashio game, but my preferred attack is a point-blank, stalking, terrain ambush.

Sign in to follow this