You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
reaper_swpz

Anyone else think Kron needs some help?

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,135 posts
7,142 battles

So I've been playing this ship for a bit and my conclusion is that it's pretty inferior to most ships its supposed to compete against:

• Enormous citadel
  • Guns that can miss a Yamato at 5km via overshooting
  • Guns that over penetrate everything
    • Works if you're at 18km vs CA and 14km+ against BB, of course this requires the range mod... and... dispersion.
  • Guns that cannot handle anything remotely angled because even if its got DM auto bounce angles, its dispersion will scatter the shot wide
  • Is food for destroyers as the 12" is also affected by the OP only damage on DD
    • You can literally lose to an IFHE Akizuki or Kitakaze, you won't hit them for anything meaningful and they'll kill you with a thousand cuts.
  • Is food for any fast firing cruiser because of bow on/slight angle and or simply put, they charge you and you over penetrate them nonstop while they either kill you with HE spam or their AP actually works because you have just enough armor to arm everything.

Is this ship actually good? I can't see how it can possibly be good as it's about as random as a German BB but without the armor or the HP to handle the punishment.

I'd settle to have more workable guns in exchange for a ROF nerf. Slinging shells out every 18.5 seconds seems pointless if most of those shells don't amount to anything.

Or maybe play it as a Zao and be a filthy HE spammer. That does have some promise, 24% fire chance and all...

Edited by reaper_swpz
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,714 posts
16,275 battles

You could have used the search function to bring up any of the last 15-20 threads on the subject instead of starting a new thread that adds nothing new to the discussion.  It's a ship with a high skill floor compared to the Missouri, Musashi or Jean Bart, all of which are easy to play out of the box.  Did you read any of the reviews before buying?  I don't recall any that said it was EZ mode - buyer beware was more like it.

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,304 posts
13,851 battles

Let's see,  it has a 55.73% WR with a 67k average damage. The OP has a 62% WR and a 93k average damage with it and he is asking for buffs.

• Funny 1

Members
1,135 posts
7,142 battles

You could say I'm joking but only partially, a reduction in ROF for better gun characteristics would be a justifiable trade off.  While I can make it work, I find the randomness to be even worse than an FDG or a GK which is silly in every sense of the word. German BB are known to pack sawed off shotguns and by randomness incarnate where as Glorious Soviet Engineering has pinpoint railguns and lasers.

Btw you're not supposed to look my stats up. Assuming I'm a potato makes it more fun.

[CAST]
Members
4,898 posts
3,416 battles

The thing with these guns is that they trade accuracy for *significantly* better shell velocity and penetration when compared to regular cruisers. In fact, it's best to think of her as a squishy agile battleship. This is unlike the upcoming Alaska that has much better accuracy, but who's AP is not really strong enough to citadel battleships at range like Kron does, and hence plays more like a traditional cruiser.

I read somewhere that Kron's AP has penetration akin to that of Bismarck's 15 inch shells, and given Kron can citadel battleships 15km away, I'm inclined to believe it.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,043 posts
7,683 battles

Honestly.....yes.  The Kronshtadt is in essence an under powered battleship balanced by the fact it has favorable cruiser match making.  I suppose in the overall scheme of things this technically makes the ship balanced, but I fundamentally disagree with this balancing philosophy.  Ships should be first and foremost balanced based on their gameplay, and once the novelty of being able to play a cruiser with 305mm guns wore off, it became increasingly apparent the current iteration of the Kronshtadt just doesn't work as a Tier 9 cruiser.  This is not to say the Kronshtadt needs flat buffs, otherwise it would be legitimately over powered.....but I do think it needs a rework.

Some shower thoughts on how to fix Kronshtadt 

1.  Nerf its reload, give it cruiser dispersion and make it a Tier 9/10 BB
2.  Nerf its reload and/or HP, give it cruiser dispersion and make it a Tier 10 cruiser*.
3.  Slightly nerf its HP and reload and make it a Tier 7 BB 

My 2nd option is probably the most controversial, but I honestly don't think it would make the Kronshtadt OP.  This season of clan battles has conclusively proven that despite having improved auto-bounce angles and shorter arming fuses, the Stalingrad is *still* utterly and totally hard countered by the Henri.  With out having access to 50mm plating the Kronshtadt would be countered just as hard by every non British Tier 10 cruiser.  The lack of 50mm plating, as well as the lack of improved AP ricochet angles and fuse times, strip away all the factors that make the Stalingrad too strong in randoms.  The Kronshtadt would be far more entertaining to play.....but given it would still be meh against DDs and hard countered by every single Tier 10 BB and non-British cruiser....it would end up being a relatively balanced, if competitively unviable, ship.    

Honestly....the Kronshtadt, and not the Stalingrad,  should have been the Tier 10 reward ship from the very start.    

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 2

[CAST]
Members
4,898 posts
3,416 battles

It should be noted that this 'cruiser' is in essence a battleship with access to both Defensive Fire and Radar. It also has a better rudder and turning circle than Tier 9 battleships. In exchange, while it's citadel is easy to protect, it's plating can be easily overmatched by 15+ inch shells and she will take steady HE and AP damage if focused down. Note: Yes, her citadel is squishy if showing broadside, but given Kronshtadt has pretty much the best firing angles in the game, there's no excuse to show so much side in this ship unless some fast stealthy battleship manages to flank your team.

As for her guns ... from what I've seen so far from playing her and watching vids, her shells are very spiky. Half the time, they wiff all over the place, and the other half, they dish out some truly batshit damage to everything. We're talking a 'cruiser' that can smash up battleships at range. With it's rate of fire and AP alpha, Kronshtadt would be *grossly* overpowered if her guns were more accurate. She already has a 2.05 sigma. What else do you want to give her?

[MWM]
Supertester
1,816 posts
6,017 battles

The thing is kinda crap.  Id rather take pretty much anything else.  For having such large guns its ap damage is atrociously random and weak.

schizophrenic ap and dispersion does not a fun cruiser make. 

Edited by Skraeling
  • Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

Yep.  As is, it's utterly unfun to play.   I've seen better accuracy from low tier BB's...    Some of the most godawful dispersion patterns I've ever seen.

None of the other gun characteristics matter a whit- if you cannot hit anything.

Junk.  Complete and total junk.

I want my 750k free xp back.   (you can't even sell it, because it's worth NOTHING!   literally 0 credits.   That should tell you all you need to know about it)

Sorry, WG, but this one was a fail.   If this is how all the "large cruisers" are going to be, I'm gonna have to pass.

[BLEP]
Members
193 posts
7,404 battles

My personal experience with the Kron is a) horrible teams, so I'll mostly ignore that, but more importantly b) I find that it really struggles against competent opponents, from both ends of the gun barrel. It's great at farming anyone unfortunate or dumb enough to broadside it, like a Montana that sat broadside driving in a straight line as a I chunked it for 20-30k a salvo, but against competent cruiser or BB players that don't just sit flat to you it really struggles. The dispersion makes the otherwise acceptable HE shells hit like wet paper towels since you're lucky to get two hits on an angled profile ship. The wide belly of Kron is lovely to farm with HE from other cruisers, and the long turns make it great torpedo bait as well.
IMO it's a ship made better by how eager most players are to die, rather than actually being as overwhelmingly good as its stats would suggest.

Edited by SolarDwagon
  • Cool 1