Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kongo_Pride

Sprint Season 3 -- Graf Spee

10 comments in this topic

[CUTER]
Members
832 posts
25,101 battles

Hello fellow captains,

Just wanted to share some thoughts regarding this sprint.  I usually play battleships or destroyers.  I even started the season in this trend running a few games in battleships (5) Mutsu, Arizona, and Warspite.  I was able to rank out in a single afternoon after 24 games and a 62.5 percent win rate.  I only lost one star in the nine losses, saving the star eight times.  The Graf Spee carried me this season, it was fun to play, and quite honestly has the perfect tool set for ranked play, save one area of concern.

The strengths were overwhelming, good Hydro, punchy guns, and a very nice base health pool.  Throw in a heal and 8km torpedoes and the Graf Spee is quite the catch.

Spee's areas of concern are a lack of AA and a fast rate of fire to deal with destroyers.  Since CVs are few the AA concern is minimal.  Conversely, I only had one match in 24 that did not have a destroyer.  

Therefore, I prioritized the cruisers in game first and was consistently rewarded with citadel hits on them.  This then freed my destroyers to push in and be aggressive.

Overall Graf Spee was a solid choice.  I even took Survivability Expert for the extra health, pushing me over 40k (I know most would question this choice).  The ship is strong and can take punishment.  With all the battleship guns that already overran all the other t6 battleships, I opted for a faster rate of fire and decent torps to gain the edge.

What ships have you found successful this season?

Note:  Only two of my matches were done in a division.

Edited by Kongo_Pride
  • Cool 2

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,081 posts
5,740 battles

I saw a lot of GS played.   Warspite was my go to.   I mixed in a few poorly played T-61 games.  Warspite was just too strong with the Super Heal on full steroid upgrade with the consumable speed booster signal.    Even played badly this ship has about 3 lives..   As in most of these ranked sprint matches really only thing I feared was well played  DDs.    

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
4,040 posts
6,190 battles

Glad to see people having success in her. The sad part is that Graf was the biggest victim of the BB AP change, with too few barrels to make alot of difference.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,188 posts
14,164 battles
25 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Hello fellow captains,

Just wanted to share some thoughts regarding this sprint.  I usually play battleships or destroyers.  I even started the season in this trend running a few games in battleships (5) Mutsu, Arizona, and Warspite.  I was able to rank out in a single afternoon after 24 games and a 62.5 percent win rate.  I only lost one star in the nine losses, saving the star eight times.  The Graf Spee carried me this season, it was fun to play, and quite honestly has the perfect tool set for ranked play, save one area of concern.

The strengths were overwhelming, good Hydro, punchy guns, and a very nice base health pool.  Throw in a heal and 8km torpedoes and the Graf Spee is quite the catch.

Spee's areas of concern are a lack of AA and a fast rate of fire to deal with destroyers.  Since CVs are few the AA concern is minimal.  Conversely, I only had one match in 24 that did not have a destroyer.  

Therefore, I prioritized the cruisers in game first and was consistently rewarded with citadel hits on them.  This then freed my destroyers to push in and be aggressive.

Overall Graf Spee was a solid choice.  I even took Survivability Expert for the extra health, pushing me over 40k (I know most would question this choice).  The ship is strong and can take punishment.  With all the battleship guns that already overran all the other t6 battleships, I opted for a faster rate of fire and decent torps to gain the edge.

What ships have you found successful this season?

Note:  Only two of my matches were done in a division.

The Germans made good ships no doubt about it.

I split between the Farragut and the New Mexico

• Cool 1

[SFBG]
Members
1,664 posts
9,407 battles

Started out with a string of 6 frustrating losses in Mutsu, and then Dunkerque.

First thing I noticed was some really poor DD play, so against my better judgement, (I'm not a DD main) i jumped in to my T-61 with a 19 point captain.

First game out, 71,000 in damage and 4 kills, all while coaching a CA player in chat on how to play the Perth. (it was his first game in the ship)

6 games later, I am at rank 5, before calling it a night.  Looking forward to more fun in this thing...

• Cool 1

[SDIWO]
Members
1,218 posts
6,635 battles

I ranked out in 28 battles. Started out with T-61 but didn't do well. The torpedo reload boost gimmick works a lot better when there are more targets to pick from, too often I'd get into a gunfight and the T-61 guns just aren't that great.

Warspite worked for awhile after that. Great heal and great guns.

Then I settled on De Grasse for awhile. Had a lot of success with it but around rank 3 I felt like I was hitting a ceiling in her because I could have great games but I had a few where I did well in a loss but just couldn't do enough to save my star.

Finally settled on Monaghan. Put my Gearing 19 pointer on the A hull and it was great. Could easily win most duels against another DD. Decent concealment of 6.3KM. From my T-61 experience stealth torping wasn't that big of a factor so the short range torps weren't as much of an issue, especially since with the low number of ships you could sneak up and ambush folks.

I did give Graf Spee a brief try but the slow speed just hurt a lot for me. Once you got out of position or in a bad spot I just felt like I didn't have the get up and go to save myself.

• Cool 1

Members
335 posts
6,385 battles

Took me 23 battles to reach rank 1.

1 in the Duca Daosta

3 in the P. E. Fried

19 in the T-61

I had success in battleships last sprint so I thought the PEF would be good, but I couldn't carry teams in it.  I don't mean to sound like a pretentious jerk but the DD play was horrendous on my teams.  So I used my T61 and did amazing in it.  I used the Duca while my T61 was stuck in battle, and it worked well.  I chased down destroyers and nuked them, good stuff, fun season.  I love this sprint

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this