16 comments in this topic

[REEF]
Members
53 posts
8,055 battles

Please explain to me the logic behind your matchmaker?

We continue to see very skewed matches when 1 side will have heavy radar and the other has none. What logic drives the match maker - is it skill set, stats, what is the deciding factor? Please just explain it in a way that makes sense because as it stands now - Most of the player I have spoken to agree.

Edited by Quickiemart
typo
  • Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles

It's a lot more simple.  MM does not care what consumables are mounted or the overall upgrade progress of any regular tech tree ship.  It just matches up the same number of ships by tier and type, with a soft limit of 4 DDs per team.  It's that simple.

As for claiming that 99.9% of players agreeing that it's broken, just stop.  That's either an outright lie or ridiculously over the top hyperbole.  I don't think that there's a single bloody thing in this game where you could get 99% of the players in agreement.

And BTW, the word is "skewed".

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,187 posts
14,135 battles
35 minutes ago, Crucis said:

It's a lot more simple.  MM does not care what consumables are mounted or the overall upgrade progress of any regular tech tree ship.  It just matches up the same number of ships by tier and type, with a soft limit of 4 DDs per team.  It's that simple.

As for claiming that 99.9% of players agreeing that it's broken, just stop.  That's either an outright lie or ridiculously over the top hyperbole.  I don't think that there's a single bloody thing in this game where you could get 99% of the players in agreement.

I've been in games that had more than 4 DD's per side. Not many, but have had them. I've had games that we're stacked. However, most of the time, random truly is random. Tier and class are generally matched. It is what it is, I love playing the game. So I shall keep playing :Smile_honoring:

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
6 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I've been in games that had more than 4 DD's per side. Not many, but have had them. I've had games that we're stacked. However, most of the time, random truly is random. Tier and class are generally matched. It is what it is, I love playing the game. So I shall keep playing :Smile_honoring:

Ahab, note that I said "soft limit", not "hard limit".  If MM can't form a team with only 4 DDs per team in a certain amount of time, it will add more.  Also note that the soft limit of 4 is a recent thing.  It used to be a soft limit of 5.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,970 battles
1 hour ago, Quickiemart said:

What logic drives the match maker

A rather simple one, you can summarize it in one sentence:

All ships are equal.

Yep, that‘s it. MM treats a 80% WR Kronshtadt equal to a 15% Seattle. It treats a 120k avg damage Gremy like a 12k avg damage T-22.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
21 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Ahab, note that I said "soft limit", not "hard limit".  If MM can't form a team with only 4 DDs per team in a certain amount of time, it will add more.  Also note that the soft limit of 4 is a recent thing.  It used to be a soft limit of 5.

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,940 battles

Doesn't MM make some effort to balance radar too? I know I used to see games where one side had 3 radar ships and the other none which I haven't seen in a long time. This was before the US cruiser split. Not sure if it balances "has radar" or "could have radar" though.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,187 posts
14,135 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

A rather simple one, you can summarize it in one sentence:

All ships are equal.

Yep, that‘s it. MM treats a 80% WR Kronshtadt equal to a 15% Seattle. It treats a 120k avg damage Gremy like a 12k avg damage T-22.

yes, very well said

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,970 battles
44 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Doesn't MM make some effort to balance radar too? I know I used to see games where one side had 3 radar ships and the other none which I haven't seen in a long time. This was before the US cruiser split. Not sure if it balances "has radar" or "could have radar" though.

At some point it used to balance by nation as well, when less nations were in the game. So say that the four DDs were two Bensons and two Kagerous with none being in a div, both teams would get one Benson and one Kagerou each. This would lessen the amount of games where radar would be stacked, but for some reason WG removed this feature at some point. I assume because too many nations entered the MM pool, and it didn‘t serve any purpose with that.

Members
126 posts
11,193 battles
On 12/26/2018 at 12:07 PM, Crucis said:

You expanded the working to Match Maker well where anybody who read this thread could understand the logic MM used to form each team...... But then you just couldn't stand it any longer, and your true personality came out (North end of a South bound donkey) with your  "Just stop" comment, and correcting  the OP on the use of the word "Skewed"..... Not sure if the OP edited out the 99% but it now reads, Most of the players he talks too.. not 99% . So you might want to take a step back and go wash up some ....Cause I can smell you all the way over here...

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
4 minutes ago, icuOklaCity said:

You expanded the working to Match Maker well where anybody who read this thread could understand the logic MM used to form each team...... But then you just couldn't stand it any longer, and your true personality came out (North end of a South bound donkey) with your  "Just stop" comment, and correcting  the OP on the use of the word "Skewed"..... Not sure if the OP edited out the 99% but it now reads, Most of the players he talks too.. not 99% . So you might want to take a step back and go wash up some ....Cause I can smell you all the way over here...

Oh, stuff it.

When some poster throws out that much bull feces, I'm going to call them on it.

As for calling out someone on a mis-spelled word, DEAL WITH IT!!!  Defending those who are in error over those who point out those errors only shows your true personality.  

As for "most of the players he talks to" agreeing with him, what's that, maybe a couple dozen players?  Puh-leeze.  Nothing but a textbook case of anecdotal evidence.

Members
126 posts
11,193 battles

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension skills more, because at no point did I say I agreed or disagreed with the OP point of views of Match Maker.. And since you continue to be a pumpis "donkey" , the correct spelling is Please not "Puh-leeze" Not only did you spell the word wrong , You actually tried to use Ebonics to make yourself look smart....LOL  Cause that turned out to be a big FAIL...

Members
11 posts
16,590 battles

I play mostly t7 and t6 ships and CA's at that. I just played a battle with 8 t9's, 3 t7's and 1 t8. I experience this type of battle all too often.  I don't know how to play battles I'm so heavily out gunned in. I've tried different strategies and all have failed. Usually I end up getting killed in the first five minutes or sooner and my play has no impact on the outcome of the battle that I can see. It only takes a volley or two from an enemy ship and I'm dead. Any suggestions how to improve my performance is greatly appreciated.

Members
126 posts
11,193 battles
4 hours ago, 2phatcookie said:

I play mostly t7 and t6 ships and CA's at that. I just played a battle with 8 t9's, 3 t7's and 1 t8. I experience this type of battle all too often.  I don't know how to play battles I'm so heavily out gunned in. I've tried different strategies and all have failed. Usually I end up getting killed in the first five minutes or sooner and my play has no impact on the outcome of the battle that I can see. It only takes a volley or two from an enemy ship and I'm dead. Any suggestions how to improve my performance is greatly appreciated.

With that last tweak of Match Maker which was supposed to change/help/stop T8's from always being low Teir in T10 matches. It did change a few things like I now get a T9 match from time to time where you have T7, T8, T9 which T8  ships can handle. But when I'm in a T10 match in a T8 now, it seems like there are only one or two  T8 per team.  T10 makes up most of the other ship on both teams. I think a lot of the T9 ships are getting put into T9 high matches, which then limits them is some of the T10 matches. Which is why now when you get put into a T10 match in a T8 you seem to be very lonely in your tier with everybody else in T10 . Just my thought on how the new changes to Match Maker is working...

with shorter range torps then their detection range, and rapid-fire guns. Making you have to play them as Gunboats. But that all changes at T9 with the Fletcher which is still a great gun boat but now can be played as a torp boat if wanted. Then you get the Gearing which is IMO the best do everything DD in the game, Very good as a gunboat, great as a torp boat. Thir are a few that out gun it and none that out torp it   

[VIKNG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
22 posts
6,824 battles
On 1/1/2019 at 12:15 AM, icuOklaCity said:

With that last tweak of Match Maker which was supposed to change/help/stop T8's from always being low Teir in T10 matches. It did change a few things like I now get a T9 match from time to time where you have T7, T8, T9 which T8  ships can handle. But when I'm in a T10 match in a T8 now, it seems like there are only one or two  T8 per team.  T10 makes up most of the other ship on both teams. I think a lot of the T9 ships are getting put into T9 high matches, which then limits them is some of the T10 matches. Which is why now when you get put into a T10 match in a T8 you seem to be very lonely in your tier with everybody else in T10 . Just my thought on how the new changes to Match Maker is working...

with shorter range torps then their detection range, and rapid-fire guns. Making you have to play them as Gunboats. But that all changes at T9 with the Fletcher which is still a great gun boat but now can be played as a torp boat if wanted. Then you get the Gearing which is IMO the best do everything DD in the game, Very good as a gunboat, great as a torp boat. Thir are a few that out gun it and none that out torp it   

As of today ( 1/2/2019 ) I'm still seeing many battles with my tier 8's that have mostly tier 10's in them. At first the tweak seemed to be working fine but lately it does not seem to be working at all . I don't know if the tweak was pulled back as I have not seen any updates that were to fix it again. I can only hope that the MM is fixed, back to what it was, very soon.  It's just getting very difficult to play 8's in a 10 battle. Well at least for me as a average, maybe even sub-average, player.