You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SanguinaryDan

Help! Can you fix a wallet noob?

51 comments in this topic

[III-W]
Members
21 posts
362 battles

I know I've done it all wrong.  I bought some Premiums, magically received large amounts of Free XP and Silver from WG, bought more gold and then preceded to buy further up some tech tree lines to ships that looked cool, all without having any real clue as to how to play the game.  I've probably only played fewer than a dozen actual games.  Now I've got all this stuff from crates that I've no idea how to access, let alone use.  

I don't want to be a liability to my team.  I want to play the game and play it well.  I tried YouTube, but 99.99% seems to be people playing Tier X or just showing how fantastic they are at the game.  And WG's videos really don't do much more than show off game features and new things to buy.

Where do I start?  Hell, HOW do I start?  Am I better off learning with Battleships or Cruisers?  Is there specific nation that gives you the most exposure to different systems?

I'm certain this is the sort of post old hands despise the most.  And I'm just as certain it's been asked and answered a million times.  Regardless, any and all help is highly appreciated.  Not to mention will probably stop me from being a useless drag in every game.  So, thanks in advance.

• Cool 4

[-SOL-]
Members
17 posts
8,138 battles

People in general absolutely love to give their opinion/feedback -- especially on the internet.  That said, you should get some great advice in this thread (ignore the sarcastic replies).

1)  Play the game some more - start low tier and grind up a tree to T5 or T6

As you get higher, it gets more complicated, and how you need to play a ship type (dd, cruiser, bb) changes

2) Play a ship type you think you will enjoy, it makes the grinding less "not fun"

3) BB's tend to be most forgiving   (it's where I started, then learned the joy of the DD)

4) Learn WASD hacks -- learn to adjust speed and direction, tends to make those torp strikes occur less often

5) Use the mini-map, watch what others are doing - so you can kill them, support them, learn from them (what to do and not to do)  It takes practice

Look up Lord Zath, believe the has some good video's and if you send him a replay or two, think he provides useful feedback.

Hope you have fun, and a great holiday season!!!!

Edited by ZSU_23_4
grammar
  • Cool 2

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles

Play co-op. Don't play a ship in randoms until at least you have your ship fully upgraded in modules and so forth.

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
3,146 posts
8,265 battles
10 minutes ago, SanguinaryDan said:

I know I've done it all wrong.  I bought some Premiums, magically received large amounts of Free XP and Silver from WG, bought more gold and then preceded to buy further up some tech tree lines to ships that looked cool, all without having any real clue as to how to play the game.  I've probably only played fewer than a dozen actual games.  Now I've got all this stuff from crates that I've no idea how to access, let alone use.  

I don't want to be a liability to my team.  I want to play the game and play it well.  I tried YouTube, but 99.99% seems to be people playing Tier X or just showing how fantastic they are at the game.  And WG's videos really don't do much more than show off game features and new things to buy.

Where do I start?  Hell, HOW do I start?  Am I better off learning with Battleships or Cruisers?  Is there specific nation that gives you the most exposure to different systems?

I'm certain this is the sort of post old hands despise the most.  And I'm just as certain it's been asked and answered a million times.  Regardless, any and all help is highly appreciated.  Not to mention will probably stop me from being a useless drag in every game.  So, thanks in advance.

Leave the Premies in port, pick a tech tree line you like, hopefully one that matches your premiums, and start the grind.

I mean that sincerely and helpfully. Experience counts.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,596 posts
17,309 battles

For Randoms, start at tech tree Tier 1 and work your way up the tech trees.  Do not take a Premium into Randoms until you have a grasp of the tech tree equivalent at lest one tier below.  For example, don't take a Tirp (T8) into Randoms until you've at least learned the ropes in the Gneis (T7).

Feel free to run any Premium in Co-op.  It's really hard to screw a team in Co-op.  Just watch out for losing silver, because as the tiers get higher, it's much harder to recover costs in Co-op.  The only caution here is the tactics you learn in Co-op don't (in general) work in Random.  So be careful running high tier Premiums in Co-op and when you reach competence in Random as described above, take the Premium into Random with the same tactics as Co-op.

• Cool 1

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles

I would also try to play an equal number of games in Battleships, Cruisers, and Destroyers. Knowing the in's and out's of each class will will help you learn how to counter them as well. For your higher tier premiums, stick to COOP for a while and work on things like aiming. As a battleship driver if you are not hitting the target at 28% or better than you need to work on your aim. Resist the urge to progress as rapidly as possible, try and play each ship for at least 50 battles minimum before moving up to the next tier. Check out sites like World Of Warships today and it will give you statistical breakdowns for you so you can identify areas of your game that you need to improve in. 

• Cool 1

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,651 battles
32 minutes ago, SanguinaryDan said:

Over 17,000+ battles here...   some quick comments

• Play coop to get to know a new ship.   Say 5-10 games should be fine.   THEN go to Randoms.    you do not learn good traits playing a lot of co op.  Because bots do not pick on your mistakes
  • Find ships you enjoy playing and focus on that game style.   If you like BBs, do you like them fast?  certain guns?   Secondaries?    Once you find a ship and say "This is fun, figure out what you like about it"
  • Salt is normal just remember its a random game random skill.    A lot of the community is very nice, don't let bad ones get to you
  • DO NOT play tier 8 for a while until you get to know the tier 5-7 area.   you will get to tier X.  Tier X people know how to punish you

Common noob mistakes

• Dont sit in smoke as a DD unless you got hydro
  • USE the minimap be a tactician (there is an option to show last known positions on your minimap USE IT)
  • Learn all radar ranges, and hydro ranges this will save your butt
  • Dont sail in straight lines for long periods of time especially as a BB
  • Dont sail broadside  - if you must turn around find your bigest targets(bbs), once he fires you typically have 30 seconds to turn around.    learn to time it unless you can get unspotted
  • LEARN your amno types - Lots of ships have different calibers, penn values.    If you love a ship then research a bit on what it can shoot.    It will seem like to much info at first, but if you stick with 1 ship you can learn traits and move on
  • if you are unsure on a broadside where to shoot,  or unsure where you can do a citadel hit, you either shoot bow/stern or what I do is shoot above the upper belt/deck line.   Even as a DD AP you can get some good damage there
  • If you understand armor and AP shell use..  KNOW your ship armor.  So you can properly angle.   Sometimes I dont always angle I will go broadside just knowing certain ships will shoot completely through me.   Crazy as it sounds
  • Disengage is ok you dont have to just die.  your ship gets points as you live.   Its good for the team

You already did the BEST thing - you asked on a forum or other players.   this is critical.   My opinion ...  WG doesn't list a lot of stats that are important.  People like iChase, Notser, Stuntman9630 will help you learn on youtube.    Watch them once you feel you are missing something.     in the end HAVE FUN!!!!!   Really important. 

1001848343.png

Edited by deresistance
  • Cool 5

[BISC]
Supertester, Beta Testers
223 posts
3,220 battles
25 minutes ago, SanguinaryDan said:

I think we'd sooner you asked than to not and just go out and make mistakes. 

Yeah, some of us can get pretty salty, but I've yet to see someone spout off outright flames when someone puts up a thread like this.

As far a YouTube vids go, Zoup's Help vids work well, as well as WG's how it works section. 

I'd throw links, but I'm on my phone at work right now.

Beta Testers
1,045 posts
4,698 battles

I would definitely suggest you play cruisers most to begin with, as they teach you the mechanics(ammo type, angling, citadels, fires, floods, all the consumables and the list goes on), and they are the bulk of a team's composition. Lines I would suggest are the IJN cruiser line or the German cruiser line. Play random battles, as co-op is misleading. Real players do NOT play like those bots(sadly) and you make a lot less credits and xp.

Edited by BattlecruiserOperational

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
16,578 battles
37 minutes ago, SanguinaryDan said:

Welcome to the game! I don't think anyone here would despise a new player asking essentially, "how can I become a better player?" In fact, kudos to you for doing so.

There really is a lot to learn about this game. 

Forgive me copying/pasting, but here is something from a post I made a little over a year ago.

-----

1. Claims that the game is broken or that a ship is terrible because you are not doing well will generally not be well received. Such posts, if I can generalize on behalf of this forum, are usually viewed with a jaundiced eye, the impression that because one person is having a hard time everything should change to better suit them difficult to be patient and understanding with. This comes from having seen such posts many, many, many times. As an alternative, a simple declaration of "I need help with X" because I do not understand it or am not doing well with it" will generally receive helpful hints and suggestions. Trolling is frowned upon. Posts designed to be incendiary or divisive will often result in your being labeled as a troll. This can make it difficult for you to receive constructive feedback on your non-troll posts. Avoid being a troll.

2. Understand that this is a game of surprising complexity that is covered in a veneer of arcade-game simplicity. Some players will never scratch beneath that veneer. Your being here suggests that you want to delve a little deeper into the game. You will find a lot of people here willing to help you do that. But please try to avoid falling prey to the temptation to write a "this game is bad because" post in the style mentioned in #1 (above) while you are learning about the game.

3. Youtube is your friend. Type "WoWS how to (insert your ship name here)" and you will likely find multiple different videos from various contributors, each with something you might find valuable.

4. Information is your ally. You can find a great deal of information at: The World of Warships Wiki. Take some time and get familiar with the ships you are playing. And learn about the ships you are playing against. Just got your butt handed to you by something you did not expect or see coming? Don't rage about it on the forums, learn about how it happened and how to prevent falling prey to it again.

5. Be Patient. This cannot be overstated. There is a lot to learn, appreciate, and enjoy in this game. Trying to learn and experience it all in a hurry is almost certain to be a frustrating and demoralizing experience. Take your time. Play lots of games in low-tier ships. Don't rush into higher-tier play until you really have a grasp on what your current tier has to teach you. There is no great reward for reaching Tier 10. Sure, the ships are better. But if you rush to get there you will not understand the fundamentals of playing at that tier, and you will be playing against players with many thousands of games under their belt and a deep understanding of how the game works to rely on. Learn all the fundamentals you can before you approach high-tier play. You are much more likely to enjoy this game long term with this approach. 

-----

Another way to improve your game is to find a clan with players willing to help show you the ropes. Playing the game with clan mates using voice-comms (Discord, Mumble, Teamspeak, etc.) can be a great way to learn. You can ask questions and get feedback in real time. Or you can use the Training Room, alone or with friends, to get a feel for a new ship in a forgiving environment.

If you have specific questions, the forums can be a good place to seek advice.

I hope you continue to enjoy the game for a very long time.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 2

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,773 battles

Whiskey, Flamu and Zoup all regularly make videos on lower tier ships. All 3 have helpful strategies on how to play, fit and captain build for each ship. Pick a line, watch the videos for ship 1 and progress. Rinse and repeat at each tier. I did that with the Russian Cruiser line and found it very helpful. Still a potato but far less of a weight on my team than before.

[TMDA]
[TMDA]
Members
290 posts
4,729 battles

As a long time noob and finally gotten a bit more serious in the game and making a ton of mistakes, this all great advice I wish I would have done in the beginning.  Another avenue is to watch some streams from other players on twitch.  You will learn some good tactics there. Start low on the tech tree and work your way up. Read the forums and play different classes of ships and nation's. Read the reviews on here and watch the YouTube videos reviews on ships you are interested in.  You will make mistakes, people will get salty on you especially if you jump into a premium ship at the higher tiers.  Take it with a grain of salt though, it is a game. Most of all have fun!!

Members
175 posts
9,928 battles

To help you learn, read the LittleWhiteMouse ship reviews. Not only do they help you understand the ship capabilities, they also go into good detail about how to set up your modules and upgrades,  but she also tells you why, which is lacking from a lot of the YouTube videos. She also tells you how to set up your Captain for that particular ship. Good lock, and have fun!!!

[NWNG]
Members
3,070 posts
4,925 battles

OH MY GOSH!!! A WALLET WARRIOR ASKING FOR HELP!?! IT"S A MIRACLE!............

Jokes aside, one of the first things you should do, is go back to tier 1, and play 10 battles there (Good idea to do 10 battles for each tier 1 ship), random or Co-op, doesn't matter. Then move on to tier 2. Play about 15-20 battles per tier 2 tech-tree ship (unless you're going to do what I did, and focus strictly on a single line and ignore all other ships, in which case, move as quickly as you can to the line you wish to play the most of... just know doing so you disadvantage yourself by not knowing the ins-and-outs of other ship types, do not recommend). Play each tier slowly, even if you find the ships in that tier lackluster. Who knows, you may even find some ships you enjoy playing, that you wouldn't have other wise.

Tier 5-7 is where the real learning begins though, especially tier 7 in which it sees a lot of tier 8 ships, which means lots of radar.

Also watch youtube videos of people playing. I don't know all the people who stream, but off the top of my head: Flamu, and ichase, and Lord_Zath (though Lord_Zath, streams replays sent to him by other players.) I also recommend sending Lord_Zath some of your replays, and if he streams them, he'll give you pointers on what you did wrong, or what you could have done differently.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,632 posts
14,427 battles

Also for the basics, iChaseGaming has created (insert huge number here) videos on the basics of the game, different ship types, mechanics, etc.  Look for some of the older ones as a start ... here's an example for you.  And no one dislikes a new player asking questions.  Welcome aboard!

• Cool 1

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,830 posts
19,834 battles
2 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

https://www.youtube.com/lord_zath

@Lord_Zath reviews replays submitted by average players and commentates on them during a live twitch stream most Saturdays, then posts the videos to Youtube.  Lots of great insight to be found.

o/

Yep I don't discriminate...  send in replay, get feedback.  I stream on twitch.tv/lord_zath most Saturdays (Sunday backup day) 1-3pm CST.

• Cool 3

[LANCE]
Members
719 posts
5,436 battles

As others have said, check out YouTube posters. Notser has a “help with aiming” video which is a very good one, iChase has a lot of info on lots of the ships as well as some training videos, NoZoupForYou also, Lord_Zath has some great videos and for chuckles and laughs TheMightyJingles does some funny/good vids.

Also check out Flambass .. although he does a lot of high tier ships he does have some lower tiers. Flamu is a great player too but for me his ship builds often only work if you’re already a good player ... some may disagree.

LittleWhiteMouse has an amazing review of all premiums on this forum. Search this out for help with setting up your premiums.

Remember, the most important thing is just have fun playing. If you’re not having fun, give it a rest for an hour or so. We all lose and make mistakes (I do this more than I’d like but it’s a learning experience). It’s often good when you die to watch the rest of the game. You watch other players by clicking you right mouse button which will switch you between players. You’ll see good strategies and some bad but it’s all learning!

Enjoy yourself mate, visit the forums regularly to ask questions and read some great posts and laugh at some others!

Good luck and again, have fun!!

Edited by Bravo4zero
Stupid autocorrect!!

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,305 posts
11,775 battles

IMO pick a line or 2 that interest you and that you have premium ships for. Start from the bottom of the line and only free xp modules. Use your premium ships to retrain commanders to the next ship as you go up the line. 

Members
310 posts
6,861 battles
1 hour ago, ZSU_23_4 said:

People in general absolutely love to give their opinion/feedback -- especially on the internet.  That said, you should get some great advice in this thread (ignore the sarcastic replies).

1)  Play the game some more - start low tier and grind up a tree to T5 or T6

As you get higher, it gets more complicated, and how you need to play a ship type (dd, cruiser, bb) changes

2) Play a ship type you think you will enjoy, it makes the grinding less "not fun"

3) BB's tend to be most forgiving   (it's where I started, then learned the joy of the DD)

4) Learn WASD hacks -- learn to adjust speed and direction, tends to make those torp strikes occur less often

5) Use the mini-map, watch what others are doing - so you can kill them, support them, learn from them (what to do and not to do)  It takes practice

Look up Lord Zath, believe the has some good video's and if you send him a replay or two, think he provides useful feedback.

Hope you have fun, and a great holiday season!!!!

This is good advice. Co-op is the best place to start. Work your way from T-1 to T4. Work through your levels (1-15) Learn how to aim, switching from HE to AP. Don't worry about camo, flags and captain skills until you've learned the basics. If you get proficient with the basics, then adding the rest will only enhance your game. If you want to learn about the ships you will be playing, check out videos, by NoZoupForYou, Notser, UrPeaceKeeper and iChaseGaming. The Mighty Jingles and SeaRaptor also have great videos on what to do and what not to do. Finally, when you are able learn to access and use the Training Room to test the limits of your ship without the stress of battle.

Edited by WestPac_CG22
changed the word are to also

[SIM]
Members
4,665 posts
7,770 battles

You learn the game by playing the game. Pick a line and start grinding it honestly, or pick a lower tier (V or less) premium and begin playing it exclusively. Don’t bounce around ship classes, pick one and stick with it for now. 

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
883 posts
3,858 battles
1 hour ago, SanguinaryDan said:

I tried YouTube, but 99.99% seems to be people playing Tier X or just showing how fantastic they are at the game.

I agree, you can only get so much help from a YouTube video.  People really need hands on advice during battle.  Someone chatting you where to go, what to do, what not to do, in real time.  Even if someone after a battle told you, "Here is where you went wrong.." that would be great.  I think some Clans help their members,  may want to see what is out there and if the strings that come attached are worth it.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,632 posts
14,427 battles
1 hour ago, SanguinaryDan said:

Where do I start?  Hell, HOW do I start?

Dan, I just remembered another very basic thing I'm not sure the game really tells you about (or much about).  Setting up ... before you even begin play.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
225 posts
7,584 battles

Welcome aboard!

I'd echo the advice about not sticking around in co-op too much - the bots are pretty predictable and you can learn some bad habits pretty quick there. As you play, you will discover what playtstyle suits you best (sniper, brawler, scout, flanker...etc. etc) and some ships really excel at their chosen task. I'd pick some goals and then hang out in tier 6 for a while.