You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SternBonk

help with the BLACK

10 comments in this topic

[PEEDZ]
Members
978 posts
7,824 battles

I know that the black is basically a fletcher with radar and LOL torps.

now seeing that the upcoming ranked season will be tier 9, was wondering if buying the black would be a good choice.

Also looking for captain builds that people have used on the BLACK. i have level 19 captains on US DDs. I assume most go gunboat build since the torps are most useful when being rushed or YOLOing

[SIDE]
Members
4,015 posts

I’d think musashi, Jutland, Chung, Missouri, Roon and maybe French cruiser be top picks. Maybe fletcher, Lion and JB for second string.

I don’t have Black and don’t know how it’s stacks up. A guy in my clan has one and always manages to do well in the chaos of a random environment. Again, not sure if that translates into anything in a more focused and highly competitive ranked match.

Edited by thebigblue

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,715 posts
12,289 battles

USN DD Gunboat builds died ages ago with patch 6.3.

Go torpedo reload and learn how to use slow long range torps.

[PEEDZ]
Members
978 posts
7,824 battles
17 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

I’d think musashi, Jutland, Chung, Missouri, Roon and maybe French cruiser be top picks. Maybe fletcher, Lion and JB for second string.

I don’t have Black and don’t know how it’s stacks up. A guy in my clan has one and always manages to do well in the chaos of a random environment. Again, not sure if that translates into anything in a more focused and highly competitive ranked match.

Oh yeah. I forgot I had the jutland since whenever I play the jutland or Daring I am literally on the worst teams in randoms possible

[SBS]
Members
5,237 posts

Take what I'm about to say with a gain of salt because I'm not a competitive player and I don't have the Black.  The Black seems to be good because of the handful of really good players that have it, not the ship itself.  That said, there is use for a radar DD in competitive.  Its a tough role to play as you have to put yourself in a fairly vulnerable position to make good use of the radar.  Unless you have experience in that role already its probably not going to be worth the steel.    

Members
246 posts
6,093 battles

It has radar, smoke, and good dpm up close. The torpedoes are good for area denial, and they get a surprising number of hits (With torp accel), especially when you’re defending instead of chasing. 

There are a lot of other DDs in tier 9 that are good for knife fighting, so Black’s advantages aren’t overwhelming, but she’s a nasty customer. 

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,557 posts
33,721 battles

Black can be nasty, but ignore the current ship's stats as it reflects the players (mostly strong) that owned it up to know.

The ship is good, as it is a Fletcher. Torps are very slow so they are not your primary weapon (as they may be if you want in Fletcher).

Consider that you have smoke, but you give up speed boost for radar, if you want to go that way (which you would, else why not just stay with Fletcher).

In short, the ship is good but not OP. The drivers are.

Edited by alexf24

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,147 posts
20,659 battles

I just find it ironic YY got nerfed mainly due to the salt a good YY driver could dispense with radar in ranked.  Now, we are going to see the same with the DD that started the meta.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,289 posts
22,304 battles
40 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

I just find it ironic YY got nerfed mainly due to the salt a good YY driver could dispense with radar in ranked.  Now, we are going to see the same with the DD that started the meta.

Yueyang had to drop smoke to get radar.  Black doesn't :Smile_trollface:

Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles

There has never been a season of ranked when US DDs haven’t been top picks.

Black is tier for tier, the best US DD, possible exception of Kidd.