DarkStormy

Gift card ripoff

16 comments in this topic

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,116 battles

So my son bought me a couple of $20 WOWS gift cards. Great I'm thinking I'll put that $40 towards buying the admirals bundle, and get a year of premium plus a little extra.

plug in the codes and find out that you don't get a credit balance, you get $40 worth of doubloons, about 9000,  not even a discount, a total ripoff IMO.

So just a little FYI.

its like this company is run by [edited] without any business sense.

• Meh 1

[PHASE]
Members
6,258 posts
19,807 battles

while I get your frustration, I would reach out to WG and see if they will help you out. its probably their in fine print, which I never read so I get where you could be miffed. Send WG a ticket, they might make it good, worth a shot.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
4,015 posts
6,155 battles

You can buy the year of premium ingame as well. As for the gift cards, check the small print whether the way the 40$ will be is specified.

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,116 battles
59 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

You can buy the year of premium ingame as well. As for the gift cards, check the small print whether the way the 40$ will be is specified.

i didn't buy the cards, they where a gift, and I didn't even get the cards as Gamestop didn't have them, all I got was the codes

iv'e never seen a company change the medium of a gift card, Amazon doesn't change $40 in GC to 40 ama bucks that are worth less than the USD that they where bought with and can only be used for a few things.

you cant buy the Admirals bundle with doubloons.

Every other company that I know of gives you a credit balance for the amount of the cards.

This is a cheesy rip off, no doubt about it, $40 would have bought a hell of a lot more than what I got, enjoy that  $40 WG it will be the last real money you ever get from me.

Oh and good job moving this thread in an obscure area where no will see it, wouldn't want the scam exposed.

Edited by DarkStormy
spelling

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,841 posts
4,869 battles
2 hours ago, DarkStormy said:

So my son bought me a couple of $20 WOWS gift cards. Great I'm thinking I'll put that $40 towards buying the admirals bundle, and get a year of premium plus a little extra.

plug in the codes and find out that you don't get a credit balance, you get $40 worth of doubloons, about 9000,  not even a discount, a total ripoff IMO.

So just a little FYI.

those cards are only redeemable for doubloons. It been that way since World of tanks started over 8 years ago. When World of warships came out, they got their own version of the gift card too. you can whine all you want, it not going to change the fact that they can't be used for anything else

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,116 battles
1 minute ago, MajorRenegade said:

those cards are only redeemable for doubloons. It been that way since World of tanks started over 8 years ago. When World of warships came out, they got their own version of the gift card too. you can whine all you want, it not going to change the fact that they can't be used for anything else

Ya because family members know what a doubloon is, [and no other company does anything this sleazy]

No whining, they got me, hope it was worth it because that will be the last $ they ever get from me.

Free to play from now on.

[HINON]
Members
12,804 posts

WG isnt doing anything sleazy. For 1 off bundles at discounts they only allow refundable payment methods which these cards are not. Some players try to get around the 1 bundle limit by opening multiple browsers and try simultaneous purchases. With a refundable payment method the duplicate transactions get refunded back to the method of payment.  If the player was using a nonrefundable method WG has no way to return those funds. So in short, it is limited because some players have tried to exploit the system which limits it for all of us, not because WG is trying to be mean.

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,116 battles
5 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

WG isnt doing anything sleazy. For 1 off bundles at discounts they only allow refundable payment methods which these cards are not. Some players try to get around the 1 bundle limit by opening multiple browsers and try simultaneous purchases. With a refundable payment method the duplicate transactions get refunded back to the method of payment.  If the player was using a nonrefundable method WG has no way to return those funds. So in short, it is limited because some players have tried to exploit the system which limits it for all of us, not because WG is trying to be mean.

non sense, A GC is the same as a CC, if you go to Amazon and plug in a GC you have a credit balance, return an item bought and receive a credit balance. 

[HINON]
Members
12,804 posts
4 minutes ago, DarkStormy said:

non sense, A GC is the same as a CC, if you go to Amazon and plug in a GC you have a credit balance, return an item bought and receive a credit balance. 

Gift cards are not the same as credit cards just look at the terms and conditions and you will see key differences. 

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,116 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

Gift cards are not the same as credit cards just look at the terms and conditions and you will see key differences. 

They [GC] are a means of holding a credit balance nothing more, nothing less, changing the medium of exchange is a sleaze ball tactic. 

like I said, good for them, enjoy the $40, its the last you will get from me.

I started out as a free to play, player and now i will go back to being one.

Fool me once......

[HINON]
Members
12,804 posts
Just now, DarkStormy said:

They [GC] are a means of holding a credit balance nothing more, nothing less, changing the medium of exchange is a sleaze ball tactic. 

Fool me once......

Dude, refundable gift cards etc equals money laundering opportunities which is why they are nonrefundable. Just ask any retail workers about all the dumb scams people try to pull with this stuff.

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,841 posts
4,869 battles
59 minutes ago, DarkStormy said:

Fool me once......

no problem, players like us keep the game free to play for you. your welcome

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,116 battles

So unlike every other company on earth WG  couldn't figure out how to stop fraud and abuse, and chose to take a easy (and sleazy) way out.

Got it:cap_like:

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,116 battles
24 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

no problem, players like us keep the game free to play for you. your welcome

Cool thank you, spend extra for me!

Community Department
3,294 posts
1,296 battles
3 hours ago, DarkStormy said:

So just a little FYI.

The only way to affect any financial issues is to contact support with all info you have. 
Sorry, but highly likely this current situation may not have positive solution.  Please stay constructive in the future.
Thank you for your feedback. We'll take it into account in the future activities. 
Locked.