Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
panther4deuce

did you ever wonder

27 comments in this topic

[DJLSC]
Members
19 posts
1,887 battles

Did you ever wonder what is going on with the RNG. The reason i ask this, is because this morning i was playing and could not hit the anything. I was firing at ships which were essentially point blank range and could not hit them. The rounds were either flying over them or falling short. The ships were less than 5 Km away from my ship. I finally quite in disgust. I played tonight and was hitting constantly at all ranges. I sometimes wonder if the RNG is set up to screw you over part of the time and pad your score at other times.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Beta Testers
633 posts
4,652 battles

with every RNG scenario theres a absolute minimum value and an absolute maximum value, think of them as rolling a  20 sided die in DnD, if you roll a 20... boom 3 citadel dev strike on something.... roll a 1 and you miss everything plus your engine explodes killing the chef, the gunners and the ships mascot.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,854 posts
7,630 battles
46 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Did you ever wonder... why people put vague titles despite having plenty of room to make it more descriptive?

Here I thought that people

can't speak in especially long

strings of words at a time

• Funny 1

Members
38 posts
2,678 battles

RNG just be like that, I'm afraid. 

I think the best way to circumvent it would be to play ships that aren't as reliant on RNG, such as battleships and cruisers with high sigma values.

Edited by 6thGuardArmy

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles

When one type does nothing, it's time to change to the other type. Definition of an idiot right?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[TBW]
Members
9,825 posts
16,590 battles
1 hour ago, panther4deuce said:

Did you ever wonder what is going on with the RNG. The reason i ask this, is because this morning i was playing and could not hit the anything. I was firing at ships which were essentially point blank range and could not hit them. The rounds were either flying over them or falling short. The ships were less than 5 Km away from my ship. I finally quite in disgust. I played tonight and was hitting constantly at all ranges. I sometimes wonder if the RNG is set up to screw you over part of the time and pad your score at other times.

Make sure you are targeted at that ship, if you are targeting another ship and shoot at not the one targeted it does exactly what you just stated.

[A-D-F]
Members
2,035 posts
7,286 battles

I love the RNG.  One salvo dev strikes a cruiser and the next just soaks the deck crew on your new target.  This very thing happened to me tonight in my PEF.  Two shots went long, two went short, two went left and two went right.  It made the QE I was shooting at look like a ride at the local waterpark.  :Smile_teethhappy:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

If dispersion is a problem, you are not close enough and/or not aiming properly. Also, remember to fit the proper modules that lower dispersion. Remember, too, that some ships, like German BBs, just have bad dispersion. This is why you need to get in close and brawl, as they were designed to. 

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,869 battles

It has been my observation that when I aim well I hit what I fire at and vice versa. Also when I hit what I fired at some hits do nothing, some a little and few the target disappears!  

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

If you find yourself missing the everything, try shooting the largest possible target, like a BB or CV. If it doesn't help, you might review your aiming or try the spotter plane. I personally dislike the plane, but it works for some people.

[CVA16]
Members
5,018 posts
14,982 battles
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

If dispersion is a problem, you are not close enough and/or not aiming properly.

The OP stated some of his shots were at less than 5K. Pretty much point-blank for most ships. I have often experienced the capricious nature of RNG where some games I can't hit anything and the next I can hardly miss, in the same ship. Where that charging DD is either completely immune to my shells or one salvo deleted. Normally RNG varies salvo to salvo (or within a salvo) but sometimes it is "consistent" through a whole game. Guess that is why they call it Random. Mikasa was my first experience at how random RNG could be. I went up the French BB line so I am used to not having any shells land near where I am actually aiming.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
39 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

The OP stated some of his shots were at less than 5K. Pretty much point-blank for most ships. I have often experienced the capricious nature of RNG where some games I can't hit anything and the next I can hardly miss, in the same ship. Where that charging DD is either completely immune to my shells or one salvo deleted. Normally RNG varies salvo to salvo (or within a salvo) but sometimes it is "consistent" through a whole game. Guess that is why they call it Random. Mikasa was my first experience at how random RNG could be. I went up the French BB line so I am used to not having any shells land near where I am actually aiming.

At short distances you run into the problem of different impact points for different turrets. The shells will only converge a certain distance from the ship.  WWII-era fighters with guns in the wings also had this issue as there was only a fixed distance where the bullet impact of the wing-mounted guns converged. You see this to a lesser degree in double rifles, which are usually set to converge at 100 yards.

Five+Guns+I%2527ll+Never+Own+-+4-bore+do 

The above is a 4-bore rifle. Each bullet weighs over a quarter pound and is 1 inch (25 mm) in diameter.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFG]
Members
8,631 posts
7,063 battles
11 hours ago, panther4deuce said:

Nassau or Kawachi?

Edited by DrHolmes52

[IRNBN]
Members
3,146 posts
8,338 battles
10 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Here I thought that people

can't speak in especially long

strings of words at a time

As per the CV Rebork, we can't be expected to multi-task or do two things at once. :Smile_teethhappy:

[CVA16]
Members
5,018 posts
14,982 battles
28 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

At short distances you run into the problem of different impact points for different turrets. The shells will only converge a certain distance from the ship.

In game they often don't converge at all. It is amazing (and frustrating) to watch your salvo head out in wildly different directions. Or in the same "wrong" direction (all diving into the sea short for example).

35 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The above is a 4-bore rifle. Each bullet weighs over a quarter pound and is 1 inch (25 mm) in diameter.

Guessing that thing left a big shoulder bruise. Probably didn't want to fire it often. Exactly what were you supposed to shoot with it? What is the small metal piece in front of the bullet? Firing cap?

[WOLFG]
Members
8,631 posts
7,063 battles
10 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Exactly what were you supposed to shoot with it?

BIG game.  Elephants and the like.

When people first started going to Africa to hunt, they found their rifles used to hunt deer only made the larger species angry.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
31 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Guessing that thing left a big shoulder bruise. Probably didn't want to fire it often. Exactly what were you supposed to shoot with it? What is the small metal piece in front of the bullet? Firing cap?

4 bores were "stopping" rifles, designed to impart enough momentum to stop a charging cape buffalo dead in its tracks. They were mainly used by the "white hunters" and their guides as a defensive weapon on safari. They could deliver up to 8000 foot-pounds of energy. For comparison, a .30-06 delivers about 2800 foot-pounds of energy. 

That small piece of metal, I believe, is .22 long rifle cartridge for size comparison.

Edited by Snargfargle

[CVA16]
Members
5,018 posts
14,982 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

They could deliver up to 8000 foot-pounds of energy.

Just thinking that some portion of that 8000fp is delivered to the shooter.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
21 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Just thinking that some portion of that 8000fp is delivered to the shooter.

All if it according to Newton's third law. It's just that the force is spread over a larger area and when standing the force is attenuated a bit by the shooter rocking back. You really don't want to shoot these things from a prone position. 

Members
5,128 posts
9,485 battles

You are low and learning the ships don't have great hitting capability to keep it from a quick press of the button then massive damage.  If you want that type of game - WoWs is not for you.  It will get better with more learning, better ships/guns, and captain skills.

[CVA16]
Members
5,018 posts
14,982 battles
35 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

All if it according to Newton's third law. It's just that the force is spread over a larger area and when standing the force is attenuated a bit by the shooter rocking back.

Always thought it was also somewhat attenuated by the  acceleration time down the barrel vs the full force, small area, instantaneous impact to the target.

[TDRB]
Members
4,455 posts
12,611 battles
13 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Did you ever wonder... why people put vague titles despite having plenty of room to make it more descriptive?

No, I understand why.

Sign in to follow this