You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

The Transpacific Voyage of HIJMS I-400

4 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
25,238 posts
22,261 battles

Years ago I had a link to an interesting site of an account by a USN officer regarding I-400:

"In 1945 I returned from World War II as Executive Officer and Navigator of the U.S. Navy prize crew in one of these aircraft-carrying giants: H.I.J.M.S. I-400.  Sailing her from Sasebo, Occupied Japan, to Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, seemed a fitting finale to my career in the Submarine Service."

The original link died but it seems to have been archived.  Some of the original images of the old site are gone but there's still enough there.  Here is the archived site.

It's a good read, covers quite a bit of I-400.  There's also other things that are covered.

• Cool 2

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,503 posts
11,213 battles

Thanks for sharing. Its far too bad the united states begrudginged the Soviet Union of the wonders of the feats of the Japanese. I believe the concept of SSGs and SSBNs were manifested from the likes of I-400.

• Meh 1

[WOLF3]
Members
25,238 posts
22,261 battles
1 hour ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

Thanks for the read, I've heard of this write-up before but never read it myself.

There were threads in the past around here that were talking about the Oxygen Torpedoes and I wanted to use info from that site.  But again, the original site died.

"It was far safer to go into combat armed with that mighty Japanese oxygen torpedo, though, than with our Bureau of Ordnance's poorly designed and inadequately tested Mark 14s and 18s, which sank at least two of our own submarines through lack of an anti-circular-run mechanism."

Or the interesting: 

"Within a few days I was startled to notice that when I discussed submarine tactics and ASW countermeasures with the Japanese officers we'd unconsciously started to use the terms us and them to refer to Submarines and Surface Ships, not to Americans and Japanese.  I was surprised how quickly close bonds of mutual professional interest developed from our shared experiences in a demanding, hazardous calling."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1