Davo916

Some things to Consider as You Pass Teir 5

9 comments in this topic

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
614 posts
9,321 battles

I'm no unicum and won't pretend to have all the answers. Still, there are a few things I wish someone had pointed out to me when I first started playing this game. Hopefully a few of you out there will read this and avoid making some simple mistakes.

* Captains *

You are going to want your first 19 skill point captain as soon as possible. Once you have the first captain earning elite commander xp you can use it to help the next captain level up faster. There is no fee to use the elite commander xp on any captain like there is using elite ship xp, and all commander xp earned by a 19-point captain goes to the elite commander xp pool. While there are certainly other factors that contribute to how you train your captains, the basic strategy is to move your captain to new ships as you move through the tiers. Some other factors will be ship type, nation, ship parameters, and special captains (John Doe, Isoroku Yamamoto). Special captains have “enhanced attack skills” such as John Doe’s -75% time to switch shells on the 1-point skill Expert Loader. You want to use those enhanced skills to your advantage. It's also wise to consult the WG wiwki (or ship comrade) to help plan the use of your points. Make a plan for a 19 point captain build and don't be afraid to leave points undistributed until you have enough to spend them correctly. This will save you time, money, and a headache down the road.

wiki:   http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

ship comrade:    http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc 

*Ships*

If you are tier 5 and above you should already be considering these things on your own, but let’s go over this anyway. What ship type are you best in? Not what type you enjoy the most, but where you are most effective. It’s not always the same. Rate yourself in different types early and again later in the higher tiers. For example; I rated myself DD-BB-CV-CL to around tier 7-8, then DD-BB-CA-CV. As you progress through the tiers, progress on a ship line that will be the most effective for you. If you are not effective in a cruiser, for example, don’t focus your time trying to grind cruisers. It will only lead to disappointment and regret. I’m not saying you should abandon the cruiser from my example, just don’t focus on it. You might find yourself more effective in that cruiser line in the higher tiers and in different battle modes.

Just for the record:

DD = Destroyer

CL = Light Cruiser      (<200mm = CL)

CA = Heavy Cruiser   (technically it's armored cruiser, but the big difference between cruisers in game is gun size not armor) (>200mm = CA)

BB = Battleship

CV = Carrier

*Nations*

As you know, not all ship types are created equal. Each nations ship build is different and therefore requires different play styles. German BB’s are much better at close range with all those secondary weapons, but a US BB can get more shells on target at range. As you pass tier 4, The differences between nations becomes more obvious. So you won’t only need to find a ship type that fits your style, but a nation that builds ships to your liking. I won’t go into all the differences, play them for yourself.

*Testing Preferences*

There is no underused tool more effective to test your preferences than the Public Test server. Before each game update, WG runs 2 rounds of public testing to make sure the changes go smoothly. It is a great way to check out the changes before they hit the live server, but even more valuable is the ability to play the higher tier ships without doing all the work. PT usually starts you with tier 6 ships (sometimes tier 8) and the research costs are so low you can go from tier 6 to tier 10 in only a few battles. All test accounts are Premium for the duration of the test making XP even easier to stack. They start you off with 30k doubloons (with each 1st round of test) so you can pay for captain retraining, port slots, and so much more without hesitation. They also start you with 500 million coin. Buy whatever ship you can research! Wargaming makes it very easy to try out high tier ships before doing all the hard work to own them. I still play the tests to see upcoming features such as ship introductions and new battle modes, but it’s not ALL about testing. To reward your help in testing updates pre-launch you will always find combat missions in the test server that have awards applied to your live server account. You don’t get them right away but you do get them.

*Battle Modes*

By now you should be fairly familiar with Co-op and Random battle modes; playing against bots or other live players. You will also find Operations, Ranked, Clan, Arms Race, and Training Room under this tab. I won’t go into great detail about these modes, just offer a few things to consider. Clan battles are always popular and tend to cause many new players to rush towards a tier 10 ship. Having a tier 10 ship for clan battles is better than using the “rental” tier 10’s available after playing in tier 8. That doesn’t mean you will acquire the skillset to be an asset to your team by rushing through the tech tree. You’ll also screw yourself out of other fun play by rushing through. Certain scenario operations require certain tier ships of certain nations and sometimes even certain ship class. If you want to be able to play each scenario, you’re going to need a few ships ranging from tier 6 through tier 8. If you want to have options for the scenarios, you’re going to need several ships in that range. By clicking the down arrow next to the Operation of the Week you can see all the scenarios and what ship requirements each one has. Ranked battles require different tier ships be used based on the rank you reach. At present, you need a tier 8 up to rank 15, then tier 10 up to rank 1, and if you still want to play you’ll need a tier 5. No nation or class requirements on ranked battles. This season of “ranked sprint” is tier 6. Arms Race battles require tier 9 or 10 be used. As you can see, if you want to play different battle modes you will need to avoid selling each tier as you progress past tier 5 in a mad rush for tier 10. It’s a good idea to pay attention to ship attributes and consider which ships you’ll want to keep.

*Coin Management*

Remember to consider the cost of your ships on the way up. I don’t mean just the price you pay after research to own the ship, but the service cost and upgrades as well. If you grind your way up to a shiny new tier 10 and sell all your other ships along the way, you may just find yourself unable to play more than a few battles. You can have a good winning game and still lose coin due to the high servicing cost of tier 10 ships. Without premium camo you will need other ships to earn enough coin to pay for those tier 10 battles. When upgrading modules look at the stats and consider if you need to buy it or not. For example, some hull upgrades do not improve your ship but need to be researched to reach the next hull or even the next tier ship. While you may need to research this hull, you do not need to purchase or mount it. Don’t buy the ship upgrades (not talking about modules) until you know what upgrades the ship will need and if you’re going to keep it. Upgrades can be sold or you can pay doubloons to demount. Either way, it’s a loss. Some ships are a hard grind so a couple upgrades may help, but if you’re going to sell it anyway you might just want to save the coin. Speaking of upgrades, don’t mount legendary upgrades unless you are certain that you want that upgrade on that ship. I’m not talking about the legendary upgrades for tier 10 ships, but the kind you can win in a container and use on specific ship types. Save any of these you get. You will want them available when you get to tier 10.  

JFSOC.davo916.gif

Edited by Davo916
links added
  • Cool 5

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
614 posts
9,321 battles

image.thumb.png.64b276e95a6297c7c99dc812f0da184e.png

With Directives like this, it pays to have multiple nation lines running.

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
On 12/25/2018 at 5:59 PM, Davo916 said:

Just for the record:

DD = Destroyer

CL = Light Cruiser      (<200mm = CL)

CA = Heavy Cruiser   (technically it's armored cruiser, but the big difference between cruisers in game is gun size not armor) (>200mm = CA)

BB = Battleship

CV = Carrier

This is slightly incorrect. The light cruiser and heavy cruiser (using the old Armored Cruiser abbr) came from the London Naval Treaty (LNT), which only affected the US, UK (including Commonwealth nations), Japan, France and Italy. Japan left the Second London Naval Treaty in 1936 and Italy declined to sign LNT2. The Washington Naval Treaty (WNT) was done after Versailles and before LNT & LNT2. Germany had to abide by the Versailles Treaty (VT), but to the best of my knowledge, Russia, Poland, Pan-Asia and Pan-American nations in WoWs were not under any type of Naval Treaties. The VT was way different than the WNT & LNTs.

Under the WNT/LNTs, total cruiser tonnages, both CL and CA could individually be up to 10k tons, were set based on the gun size. Cruisers with guns 155mm and smaller were colloquially called light cruisers and cruisers with guns larger than 155mm, but not more than 203mm, were colloquially called heavy cruisers. Light and Heavy cruiser were never official designations in the Naval Treaties. Ships with guns larger than 203mm were capital ships, like battlecruisers and battleships. Carriers were also considered capital ships. Destroyers, subs, auxiliary ships and the like were also covered by the treaties with limits on displacement and/or gun caliber and other factors. Some ships were exempted from the treaties for being laid down/built before the treaties went into effect, e.g. MN Surcouf and others.

From the Library of Congress:

Versailles Treaty Jan 20th, 1920 - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/us-treaties/bevans/m-ust000002-0043.pdf

Washington Naval Treaty Aug 17th, 1923 - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/us-treaties/bevans/m-ust000002-0351.pdf

London Naval Treaty Dec 31st, 1930 - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/us-treaties/bevans/m-ust000002-1055.pdf

Second London Naval Treaty Jul 29th, 1937 - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/us-treaties/bevans/m-ust000003-0257.pdf

After the Naval Treaties were abandoned by various parties (WNT/LNT 1936 and LNT2 1942), the restrictions on gun caliber, displacement, etc, were lifted which is why some Treaty countries made cruisers with guns larger than 203mm.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
614 posts
9,321 battles
On 1/14/2019 at 2:35 PM, Kizarvexis said:

This is slightly incorrect. The light cruiser and heavy cruiser (using the old Armored Cruiser abbr) came from the London Naval Treaty (LNT), which only affected the US, UK (including Commonwealth nations), Japan, France and Italy. Japan left the Second London Naval Treaty in 1936 and Italy declined to sign LNT2. The Washington Naval Treaty (WNT) was done after Versailles and before LNT & LNT2. Germany had to abide by the Versailles Treaty (VT), but to the best of my knowledge, Russia, Poland, Pan-Asia and Pan-American nations in WoWs were not under any type of Naval Treaties. The VT was way different than the WNT & LNTs.

Under the WNT/LNTs, total cruiser tonnages, both CL and CA could individually be up to 10k tons, were set based on the gun size. Cruisers with guns 155mm and smaller were colloquially called light cruisers and cruisers with guns larger than 155mm, but not more than 203mm, were colloquially called heavy cruisers. Light and Heavy cruiser were never official designations in the Naval Treaties. Ships with guns larger than 203mm were capital ships, like battlecruisers and battleships. Carriers were also considered capital ships. Destroyers, subs, auxiliary ships and the like were also covered by the treaties with limits on displacement and/or gun caliber and other factors. Some ships were exempted from the treaties for being laid down/built before the treaties went into effect, e.g. MN Surcouf and others.

From the Library of Congress:

Versailles Treaty Jan 20th, 1920 - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/us-treaties/bevans/m-ust000002-0043.pdf

Washington Naval Treaty Aug 17th, 1923 - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/us-treaties/bevans/m-ust000002-0351.pdf

London Naval Treaty Dec 31st, 1930 - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/us-treaties/bevans/m-ust000002-1055.pdf

Second London Naval Treaty Jul 29th, 1937 - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/us-treaties/bevans/m-ust000003-0257.pdf

After the Naval Treaties were abandoned by various parties (WNT/LNT 1936 and LNT2 1942), the restrictions on gun caliber, displacement, etc, were lifted which is why some Treaty countries made cruisers with guns larger than 203mm.

That's great and all but I'm referring to the game not international treaties. When reading about WOWS, specifically in this thread, this is what they mean. How confusing it would be to have a different set of abbreviations for each treaty or nation. People can hardly remember this set.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
39 minutes ago, Davo916 said:

That's great and all but I'm referring to the game not international treaties. When reading about WOWS, specifically in this thread, this is what they mean. How confusing it would be to have a different set of abbreviations for each treaty or nation. People can hardly remember this set.

I'm not saying have a different set of abbreviations for each nation, but to use what came out of the WNT & LNTs. The 155mm break is what is most used for CLs and CAs. The rest of it was to show why Russia and Germany didn't conform to that and why cruisers started seeing guns larger than 203mm among the Big 5.

DD

CL 155mm or less

CA 156mm or more

BB

CV

• Cool 1

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
614 posts
9,321 battles

My clan recently had a member shoot himself in the foot by not following this advice. He's a good player and a fun clanmate. Now his game is nearly unplayable. In his haste to have multiple T10 ships, he sold his lower tier ships every time he reached the next tier to help him afford upgrades and all that good stuff. Now he has 6 T10 ships and 1 premium Haida, and the only ship he can afford to service is the Haida. Sure, he could grind that Haida and start repurchasing some of the mid-tier ships to build a money making port, but he probably won't. He worked a long time getting himself into that hole, it'd be a lot of work to get back out.

Do yourself a favor and don't dig yourself a hole.

• Cool 2

[ECCHI]
Members
29 posts
3,827 battles

Pretty solid stuff Davo I hope newer players see this and take some it to heart.

• Cool 1

[-TAB-]
Members
5 posts
7,037 battles

Hey, thanks for this guide, I have questions...
I don't get the captain part. How can you move your captain to another ship without penalty (retrain). Without spending anything you have to retrain. 

I think I saw somewhere that you can move your premium ship captains but I think I had to do the same.

Or you mean that work hard to get your 19 point captain on 1 ship and after that train a 2nd captain that you can move up with the help of the free points that the 19 point captain earns?

[PVE]
Members
19,833 posts
11,995 battles
11 hours ago, madmx_warrior said:

Hey, thanks for this guide, I have questions...
I don't get the captain part. How can you move your captain to another ship without penalty (retrain). Without spending anything you have to retrain. 

I think I saw somewhere that you can move your premium ship captains but I think I had to do the same.

Or you mean that work hard to get your 19 point captain on 1 ship and after that train a 2nd captain that you can move up with the help of the free points that the 19 point captain earns?

Let's take your Aoba and Yubari and set up a example. Say you want to move your Furutaka Cmdr to your Aoba. Let's say that the Furutaka Cmdr is at 6pts.

It takes 7,500 Cmdr XP to retrain a 6pt Cmdr. So you move the Cmdr to the Aoba and pick the free retraining. You would need to earn 7,500 Cmdr XP with the Cmdr on the Aoba to be fully retrained. While you are retraining, the Cmdr's numerical skills are at 50% and the rest don't work. Once the retraining is done, all the skills are back to normal and the Cmdr would need to retrain to move to another ship, including back to the Furutaka. In fact as soon as you start the retraining, you have to retrain again to move to any other ship. So plan your Cmdrs on who will move up and to where. Start your training on the skills that the final ship will have, so you won't have to change skills later.

Now, you can move the Cmdr to Yubari after you start the retraining process and while on the Yubari, the Cmdr will have full use of the skills and all Cmdr XP gained will be applied to the Aoba retraining. If you get more than one IJN premium, you can move the Cmdr amongst all of them to get the first win bonuses on each one.

When you do retraining, you can spend 200,000 credits to cut the training XP in half. Doubloons fully retrains the Cmdr immediately, but that can get expensive.

Coming up in the April Fool's Space Battles next patch will have loaner ships and loaner 19 point Cmdrs for those ships. All the Cmdr XP a 19pt Cmdr earns is converted to Elite Cmdr XP that can be used for any Cmdr. Try and gather as much as you can.

Here's more detailed info in the wiki.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

• Cool 1