You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VVoony

Is it just me? pens with 0 damage for days (Prinz Eitel Friedrich)

38 comments in this topic

[CAPGO]
Members
743 posts
7,171 battles

37 shells in contact with 19.5k damage. Okay.. let's do some assessment.

x8 penetrations, and x16 over pens for 19k damage and you'd think this is like rare cases where you are unlucky and hit the modules on the enemy ships, but no..

This is happening one game after another. 

Over pens can happen if my aim was slightly off but.. 37 hits and for 19k damage is absurd..

Something is broken about the guns on PEF.

K-20181225-600528.thumb.jpg.94806c0fc4f58896e9a19893fa8b056d.jpg

Edited by VVoony
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,260 posts
13,838 battles

While this is frustrating you are damaging modules which each have their own unseen hit point pool.

[CAPGO]
Members
743 posts
7,171 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

While this is frustrating you are damaging modules which each have their own unseen hit point pool.

I understand how damage mechanics work, but I can hardly trust the hit box when 80% of the shell that I aimed at the broadside hit modules on the enemy ships.

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
723 posts
3,801 battles

I thought it was just me imagining things, but the PEF has an insane amount of over-pens on my end compared to f.ex. Bayern and others. Even pens seem to just do very little damage, like 10% each. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of bug at times, lol. Maybe everything we shoot at are treated as DD hits? :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

[CAP]
Members
246 posts
13,485 battles
21 minutes ago, VVoony said:

I understand how damage mechanics work, but I can hardly trust the hit box when 80% of the shell that I aimed at the broadside hit modules on the enemy ships.

yeah, mods with 0 HP left on them.  I've seen the same.  I think it is a general issue with high pen AP though.  I've gotten many volleys in other ships where I get 2 pens, 2 bounce... 0 damage.  I know the pen damage rule was pulled from the patch but we need some sort of fix that doesn't boost DD (low cal guns) while letting BB 400mm AP pen for some damage (even less than current "good pens").

[SIM]
Members
4,661 posts
7,770 battles

I’ve chalked this phenomenon up to her anemic guns being able to punch through torpedo bulges, but not the armor plate underneath. 

[CAPGO]
Members
743 posts
7,171 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I’ve chalked this phenomenon up to her anemic guns being able to punch through torpedo bulges, but not the armor plate underneath. 

Okay this actually makes sense.. so.. the problem is actually the weak penetration of PEF's guns..

[BNKR]
Members
1,574 posts
2,090 battles
4 minutes ago, VVoony said:

Okay this actually makes sense.. so.. the problem is actually the weak penetration of PEF's guns..

They do have poor penetration. Little White Mouse brought this up in her review. I've been using a disproportionate amount of high explosive with her.

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles

You have to pick targets (as in aim for superstructure if you are further away)  and get closer to go for those citadels :)  get into secondary range and the main guns  perform.  (Both those citadels were on BB's) and all main shells were AP.  The fire was from secondaries.

Long range damage is poor.

PFE1.thumb.jpg.204f457edc66b4fdb0a232e46a768d56.jpg

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
723 posts
3,801 battles

So me and @WildFred in a division, he had gotten ganked just earlier and watching me fire at a Lyon broadside close range and I got three good pens on the forward turrets and it did just above 3k dmg for three pens. We had a game earlier too where Fred was working on a Kongo and did f-all dmg. There is something really off here.

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles

I think it really depends on where you are aiming. I have been playing the OP a LOT in the PEF. My first few games I was getting 20-40k in damage and was really frustrated. As I learned how the guns work and where to aim my damage jumped to almost 200k per op. For lightly armored cruisers I actually aim just below the waterline. The PEF seems to have no issues pounding Fuso's Kongo's and Izi's but those are same or lower tiered battleships. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,225 posts
21,551 battles
19 hours ago, lewellenfawr said:

Damage output is underwhelming and inconsistent 

This. The damage you get for the hits with it is awful. Something seems broken with this thing and not broken as in OP.

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
1,593 posts
8,491 battles
19 hours ago, VVoony said:

37 shells in contact with 19.5k damage. Okay.. let's do some assessment.

x8 penetrations, and x16 over pens for 19k damage and you'd think this is like rare cases where you are unlucky and hit the modules on the enemy ships, but no..

This is happening one game after another. 

Over pens can happen if my aim was slightly off but.. 37 hits and for 19k damage is absurd..

Something is broken about the guns on PEF.

*SNIP*

I'm having the exact same issue. So much so I've just started firing HE. The AP is great..........at over-penning. 

Also, maybe it's just me, but the dispersion seems wildly everywhere. I'd even go as far to say it's guns are the most inaccurate I've seen on a BB. 

[PVE]
Members
11,225 posts
21,551 battles
18 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

18 hours ago, VVoony said:

I realized this early on and raised my aim up so I am shooting the upper belt and the damage is still pathetic. For 350MM guns they perform like crapola.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
723 posts
3,801 battles

It's just not on the overpenning, both me and WildFred got 10% dmg at times on regular pens. As said earlier, I had three midship good regular pens from close range and did 1k damage per shell. Then again at some very few times it may give normal damage on that. It's like some kind of conflicting damage mechanic going on.

[CAPGO]
Members
743 posts
7,171 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I realized this early on and raised my aim up so I am shooting the upper belt and the damage is still pathetic. For 350MM guns they perform like crapola.

Yea I am also shooting upper belt and never go for the main belt and notice the crap damage.

58 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

It's just not on the overpenning, both me and WildFred got 10% dmg at times on regular pens. As said earlier, I had three midship good regular pens from close range and did 1k damage per shell. Then again at some very few times it may give normal damage on that. It's like some kind of conflicting damage mechanic going on.

I can recall this too. I think I had few pens with only 10% (1k damage) damage too.

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles
5 minutes ago, VVoony said:

Yea I am also shooting upper belt and never go for the main belt and notice the crap damage.

I can recall this too. I think I had few pens with only 10% (1k damage) damage too.

Again most of my experiences with the PEF come from the Operation of the week but I found the PEF worked better at medium to longer range or all I got was overpens on cruisers. I also aimed just below the waterline on cruises so the shells hit the water just before the ship and I have noticed the PEF turns into a citadel machine against cruisers. I was getting 12-15 citadels an operation that way. Ares1967 is much better on the guns than I am and he was pulling 200k plus damage games every operation in the PEF. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
3 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Roma is the exact...same...way....

No.  Roma's problem is completely different.  There is absolutely zero problems in the power of her guns.

iEUAvm3.jpg

The problem with Roma's guns is that they are wildly inaccurate.

PEF's problem isn't accuracy, it's power.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CAPGO]
Members
743 posts
7,171 battles
3 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Again most of my experiences with the PEF come from the Operation of the week but I found the PEF worked better at medium to longer range or all I got was overpens on cruisers. I also aimed just below the waterline on cruises so the shells hit the water just before the ship and I have noticed the PEF turns into a citadel machine against cruisers. I was getting 12-15 citadels an operation that way. Ares1967 is much better on the guns than I am and he was pulling 200k plus damage games every operation in the PEF. 

2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Roma is the exact...same...way....

No I am not talking about Over-pens. I have Roma, I have Gascogne, I have french battleships. I know when I am going to get over-pens.

I am talking about weird damage mechanics on PEF where 80% of your pens result in zero damages. I know it happens when the shells hit the module, but the rate is way too high for PEF.

AND there were also penetration shells that gave me only 1k damage which seems to be the 10% of the damage like over-pens.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,160 posts
4,952 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

No.  Roma's problem is completely different.  There is absolutely zero problems in the power of her guns.

iEUAvm3.jpg

The problem with Roma's guns is that they are wildly inaccurate.

No the problem is the constant over-penetration, resulting in piss poor damage...which the PEF seems to share. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

No the problem is the constant over-penetration, resulting in piss poor damage...which the PEF seems to share. 

Waterline for general targets, but for BBs, Roma has zero problems.  But her real problem is hitting.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,160 posts
4,952 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Waterline for general targets, but for BBs, Roma has zero problems.  But her real problem is hitting.

I doubt that, even when Roma connects she just overpens everything. I've overpenned the plates on Yammies, and Republics, and GK's. It's the most....frustrating ship I own.