You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Which torps do you use for the Gearing?

12 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts

Do you like the "Fletcher" or "Gearing" torps for the Gearing? I've played the ship a lot and am still mixed about this.

Benefits of Gearing torps:

Long range, can often blind fire and hit ships minutes later.
Can stay out of radar range and torp with impunity.

Cons:

Can often blind fire and hit your own ships minutes later.
Slow reload.

Benefits of Fletcher torps

Faster reload.
Harder hitting.
Short range helps prevent "friendly" fire incidents.

Cons:

Hard to stay out of radar range in the early game.

[ADD]
Members
29 posts
11,087 battles

I haven’t done well with the Gearing torps so I just switched back to Fletcher fish.  Now, to UU or not, that’s the question.

Merry Christmas, all.

• Cool 1

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
806 posts
7,007 battles

16km torpedoes

They can be blind-fired, be fired safely outside of radar range, and have an amusing tendency of scoring collateral damage on unsuspecting ships. I once had my torpedoes sail right past a Montana I was aiming for and dev-strike an Atago that was just leaving the spawn. She wasn't even last spotted on the mini-map at all before the torpedoes struck. The longer range makes them safer and more versatile.

The down-time in torpedo reload can be filled by spamming guns from smoke (or hard cover), spotting, capping, or other DD stuff, etc. Hence I specialize the Gearing for guns with the torpedoes as an afterthought.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,300 posts
17,441 battles

Gearing torps with TA. But I'm a notoriously bad DD player, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,093 posts
13,750 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

Gearing torps with TA. But I'm a notoriously bad DD player, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Now Lert it's Christmas you little furry Assassin, TELL THE TRUTH!!!! :Smile_veryhappy:

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,046 posts
9,180 battles

I use Fletcher torps. They reload faster and hit harder. 

[PVE]
Members
4,975 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Do you like the "Fletcher" or "Gearing" torps for the Gearing? I've played the ship a lot and am still mixed about this.

Benefits of Gearing torps:

Long range, can often blind fire and hit ships minutes later.
Can stay out of radar range and torp with impunity. 

Cons:

Can often blind fire and hit your own ships minutes later.
Slow reload.

Benefits of Fletcher torps

Faster reload.
Harder hitting.
Short range helps prevent "friendly" fire incidents.

Cons:

Hard to stay out of radar range in the early game.

Depends on if you are using the legendary upgrade or not...I am & instead of running as a gunboat DD I run as a stealth DD...w/upgrade only the Kagero & Harekaze (& possibly Yueyang...don't have it yet so can't compare but heard it has pretty good detection) have better detection than you...& if you put Halsey on & get a double strike (even w/out the legendary) your detection beats all...w/both it's just pure chuckles on the very rare times it happens...5.1km detection...YAY).

As a gunboat DD I'd suggest the Fletcher torps as you're gonna be in short range most of the time anyway but for a spotting DD the long range ones are perfect for (as you stated) chasing those radar cruisers out of their hidey holes if not just straight out deleting them...but you have to give up faster reload of both guns & torps for it. As a stealth DD ideally you will never fire your guns & just spot targets for the team while sending fishies to harass & the longer range ones allow you to do it w/out risking being detected to do it...but using the boosted speed ones w/the lower range still gives you room (albeit only a little) to stay stealthy while harassing even the 12.8 km Russian radar.

Gearing used to be the ultimate gunboat DD (regardless of it's floaty shells because you could safely close in w/out much worry about any other DD rifles...excepting Khab) but the power creep has left it kinda lacking against quite a few others (all things being equal in pilot skills) now so the stealth option is there w/the upgrade but you may get a few comments about running your Gearing in a stealthy manner due to "expectations".

Of course w/good situational awareness (aka knowing where the radar is before going too far forward) the legendary upgrade & the Fletcher torps can make for the ultimate murder machine w/the faster reload allowing for much more potential damage/match...but it requires having some insight as to when radar has been used before closing in on the radar ships to torp them safely.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[LANCE]
Members
709 posts
5,399 battles

I use the 16km torps with the torp “speed boost” skill. This cuts them down to 13.5km but they go at 71kts. Allows you to stay out of even Russian radar range.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,168 posts
3,967 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

I have enough salt for everybody!