You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
iMiscreant

Looking for a T9/T10 Scharnhorst

14 comments in this topic

Members
70 posts

I mostly play T5-T7 CLs and have avoided BBs that often are fat and slow. But I want to expand my WoW horizon. Tried Normandie -it was OK. But I love Scharnhorst since I can play it like a cruiser. With a 19 point captain I can sometimes carry my team at T7/T8. But I suffer at T9 because the only way I have figured out to brawl without an early return to port is to ambush from behind an island, which is not always possible or requires more patience than is normal for me.

Is there a T9 or T10 BB that plays like Scharnhorst - fast, sneaky, agile, and happy to brawl?

Thanks for your advice.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,239 posts
22,261 battles

In Tier IX-X?

There are many fast sailing BBs.

There are numerous very brawl oriented BBs.

Only stealthy ones are Lion and Iowa-class, and they are not brawl oriented.

Tier IX-X BBs lose their agility of prior tiers.

Iowa-class, Izumo, FDG, Musashi, Lion, etc., all lose their agility compared to prior tiers.  Only Jean Bart has decent agility because she is a buffed up, Tier VIII put into Tier IX and she sails like Richelieu.  However, you still need to protect the citadel.  French 380mm turrets are also very easy to disable and destroy.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
70 posts

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I decided on Alsace because I had an 18 point captain in Normandie to transfer and did not have enough coal for Jean Bart.

I did mess up the commander training since it has been a while. My plan was to use some of 2.7 million elite commander XP I'm sitting on but after I selected the 50% training option when I tried to accelerate training  my only choice was to pay 500 doubloons -I'm on the cusp between frugal and cheap and this is way too expensive. So now I have to train the other half of my Alsace caption. Not really sure what 50% efficiency means until he is fully trained-for example, is concealment now half of what it will eventually be? Will I get 3.5 fires instead of 4?

[OPEC]
[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,322 battles
13 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Alsace would be a good option.

Good suggestion!  Alsace has speed and pretty good agility, but lower caliber guns (plenty of them).  She's probably my favorite T9 BB...

[BSL]
Members
1,142 posts
19,791 battles

Nope, Republique!  You're like me and want a cruiser BB, 20 sec reload can't be beat.  I love Alsace also (and actually bought her back), but a totally different animal than Republique.

Members
66 posts
10,055 battles

You can always give the 2 tier 10 Russian cruisers a shot.  The tier 9 premium Russian cruiser is also a valid candidate for your fast attacking battlecruiser play style.... 

[UN1]
Members
1,014 posts
3,340 battles
On 12/25/2018 at 9:40 AM, Player_9953674122 said:

I mostly play T5-T7 CLs and have avoided BBs that often are fat and slow. But I want to expand my WoW horizon. Tried Normandie -it was OK. But I love Scharnhorst since I can play it like a cruiser. With a 19 point captain I can sometimes carry my team at T7/T8. But I suffer at T9 because the only way I have figured out to brawl without an early return to port is to ambush from behind an island, which is not always possible or requires more patience than is normal for me.

Is there a T9 or T10 BB that plays like Scharnhorst - fast, sneaky, agile, and happy to brawl?

Thanks for your advice.

The Scharnhorst and Gneisenau are pretty unique in their brawling styles.  The closest I can think of is the Tirpitz at T8, and Alsace and Republique at T9 and T10. 

Given that, you may want to learn how to play these ships like battleships and not cruisers if you're going to get the most out of them.  A successful brawling strategy starts with you playing the long game like everyone else.  As the game progresses and combat distances decrease, then you can go into "Cruiser mode" and close distance and be a little bit more sneaky. 

Members
70 posts
5 hours ago, Ranari said:

The Scharnhorst and Gneisenau are pretty unique in their brawling styles.  The closest I can think of is the Tirpitz at T8, and Alsace and Republique at T9 and T10. 

Given that, you may want to learn how to play these ships like battleships and not cruisers if you're going to get the most out of them.  A successful brawling strategy starts with you playing the long game like everyone else.  As the game progresses and combat distances decrease, then you can go into "Cruiser mode" and close distance and be a little bit more sneaky. 

I'm still learning Alsace but my style of play seems to have developed three phases.

Early game: go full speed to a flank behind a DD or cruiser using concealment to get off the first volley. Engage speed boost, turn and kite until the other BBs catch up. Tank for leading ships and use first heal.

Mid game: mill around at distance like all the other BBs,   sometimes making devastating strikes on unsuspecting cruisers far away. This is the most difficult phase for me, taxing my patience.

End game: use boost to reposition and seek an opportunity to go into cruiser mode.

I thought T9 would be very difficult playing against better players but I manage to hold my own in the middle of the leader board. Have learned the hard way not to rush in too soon. Most important, having fun. I might even eventually work up to Republique although it seems that 12 guns is better than 8 guns.

[AAA]
Members
1,117 posts
12,392 battles
On 12/25/2018 at 11:13 AM, RipNuN2 said:

Alsace would be a good option.

+1

alsace is a beast. I’m not a bb player but I did/do well in French line