Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ZARDOZ_II

Discontinue "Retraining"

35 comments in this topic

[4HIM]
Members
2,908 posts
11,210 battles

Played a battle in the T-61 to knock off the snowflake.  After battle I looked at the credits screen.  I notice the commander XP bar is red.  I find out that, for some unknown reason he's in 'retraining' for the T-22.  Is there a way to discontinue this 'retraining' for a ship I have no need to use this captain for?  I have no idea how this captain got reassigned to the T-22.  

[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts

Hmmmmm,

Well...

You can reassign the Captain to another ship and retrain him on that one.

Other than that, you can pay the 500 Doubloons to complete his Retraining immediately or pay the credits to have it completed in 50% of the time.

However, short of assigning a 19 point captain to your T-61, I don't know of anyway to get a Captain into that ship without going through Retraining and paying the blood money to have it completed immediately.

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,869 battles
Spoiler

The only way for that captain to get in that ship is for you to have put him there! If not that then someone with access to your account put him there.

• Meh 1

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles
29 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Hmmmmm,

Well...

You can reassign the Captain to another ship and retrain him on that one.

Other than that, you can pay the 500 Doubloons to complete his Retraining immediately or pay the credits to have it completed in 50% of the time.

However, short of assigning a 19 point captain to your T-61, I don't know of anyway to get a Captain into that ship without going through Retraining and paying the blood money to have it completed immediately.

Not entirely true.  If you have Elite Commander XP, you can use that to finish the retraining.  You can also use Free XP but I think that takes more due to it having to be converted to Elite Commander XP at a lesser exchange rate first.  Now what I usually do is just stack every +Commander XP camo and signal flag I can on the boat and you can usually knock retraining out in one game, maybe two if you have a real clunker in the first one.  If your commander has 12 or more points, you might need to add a game to both of those numbers.  In short, I never pay anything for retraining because it's easy to knock it out in a game or two.

And one more thing OP, like CAPTMUDDXX said, you had to have put him in that ship at some point or someone with access to your account did.  It doesn't just happen.

[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts
5 minutes ago, _HatTrick_ said:

Not entirely true.  If you have Elite Commander XP, you can use that to finish the retraining.  You can also use Free XP but I think that takes more due to it having to be converted to Elite Commander XP at a lesser exchange rate first.  Now what I usually do is just stack every +Commander XP camo and signal flag I can on the boat and you can usually knock retraining out in one game, maybe two if you have a real clunker in the first one.  If your commander has 12 or more points, you might need to add a game to both of those numbers.  In short, I never pay anything for retraining because it's easy to knock it out in a game or two.

And one more thing OP, like CAPTMUDDXX said, you had to have put him in that ship at some point or someone with access to your account did.  It doesn't just happen.

Not that I doubt you, but I am just wondering where in the Retraining screen you apply the Elite Commander XP to finish retraining.  I have about 200k Elite commander xp at the moment as well.

Retrain.jpg

[WOLF2]
Members
255 posts
6,483 battles
4 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Not that I doubt you, but I am just wondering where in the Retraining screen you apply the Elite Commander XP to finish retraining.  I have about 200k Elite commander xp at the moment as well.

Retrain.jpg

Choose Basic Training, and then there will be an option to use your Elite Captain XP underneath the Captain's portrait to retrain him.

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,762 battles
5 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Retrain.jpg

I use “Naval Academy” for 200k silver, then after that, click the + button next to your commander’s XP total in the upper right of the screen. This lets you use Elite Commander XP to complete the other half of the training time.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,261 posts
21,667 battles
3 minutes ago, n00bot said:

I use “Naval Academy” for 200k silver, then after that, click the + button next to your commander’s XP total in the upper right of the screen. This lets you use Elite Commander XP to complete the other half of the training time.

This ^^^ It let's you use Elite Capt XP and/or Free XP

[SBS]
Members
5,225 posts

The only thing you could try is moving that captain to the reserve (although I don't think will conceal the retraining, I think it will only pause it).  If you don't want your captain trained for the T22 you'll want to reassign him to a more suitable tech tree ship (there is no reason to assign him to your T-61 or any premium ship).

[4HIM]
Members
2,908 posts
11,210 battles
31 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The only way for that captain to get in that ship is for you to have put him there! If not that then someone with access to your account put him there.

Yes, I know I put him there.  For the life of me I don't remember why.  

I just wish there was a way to curtail the 'retraining' given I don't need this captain there.  

But captain points are the bane of my existence.  Still after all this time nowhere near a single 19 point captain.  

• Cool 1

[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts
21 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Thanks.  Learn something new everyday.

If you use Elite Commander XP to accelerate the retraining go towards your advancement as well then or just complete the retraining(leaving your commander where it was advancement XP wise)?  It would seem to be a waste of Elite commander XP if it only completes the retraining.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,276 posts
12,699 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Played a battle in the T-61 to knock off the snowflake.  After battle I looked at the credits screen.  I notice the commander XP bar is red.  I find out that, for some unknown reason he's in 'retraining' for the T-22.  Is there a way to discontinue this 'retraining' for a ship I have no need to use this captain for?  I have no idea how this captain got reassigned to the T-22.  

4 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I just wish there was a way to curtail the 'retraining' given I don't need this captain there.  

But captain points are the bane of my existence.  Still after all this time nowhere near a single 19 point captain.  

The next question that has to be asked is this: where did you mean to put him?

After that: what is his usefulness in the T-61?

First put him where you meant to have him. Then if he is any use in the T-61, put him there to work off the retraining penalty. This is the great thing about premium ships; they ignore the fact that he hasn't finished retraining yet, and all his skills work at full efficiency. After that, it's back to the ship you meant to have him in, and it will be as if he never left.

In order to get that 19 pointer, you need to be disciplined. Pick the line in which you have the most premiums that can best be used with a single captain. Then rotate him through all of them, in Randoms and Ops, over and over and over again, using commander XP flags for first win bonuses at the very least (although Cmdr XP is mostly calculated off of Base XP, the XP the ship wins is added to this and every little bit helps). Beyond that, there is no advice or help to be given except the need to motivate yourself into a state of bloody-minded persistence. There is a reason it's called a grind.

(Remember, at the end of the Battle of the Somme, it was not the British Army that picked up its stuff and retreated several miles in early 1917.)

The other thing to do is make the most of all the Halloween, Space and other strange battle modes that offer temporary 19 point captains. I managed to get my captain XP stocks from 200K to about 700K doing that (although I was mostly grinding Musashi FXP; the captain XP was a welcome secondary effect, given that the super-draconic flags boost both significantly), and would have got them higher if I hadn't simultaneously had to concentrate on the RN event and other things. 

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles
28 minutes ago, n00bot said:

It's not even necessary to spend the 200k credits.  Just select basic training then when the skill chart comes up, that + sign will be under his portrait.  Click it and it gives you the option to use Elite/Free XP.  

There's absolutely no reason to spend any doubloons or credits on retraining captains unless you really need it done fast like you need the guy for clan battles in 5 minutes or something.  Unlike World of Tanks, your "crew" consists of basically one person so that's all you have to worry about.  Also unlike World of Tanks, getting your "crew" back to max performance after using the free option for retraining is quick and painless.  In WoT, if you opted for free retraining, your crew all got reset to 70% and IIRC most of their crew skills wouldn't work until they reached 100% again.  Unlike Warships, in Tanks, the amount of xp needed to max out crews was not linear.  The closer they got to 100%, the more xp it took to get to the next percentage point.  It was horrible. Oh yeah, there were no +crew xp consumables (that I remember) to help with the process.  The best you could hope for was that they would put crew retraining on sale for a weekend and you could knock a bunch of them out at a discount.  This game is such a departure from that torturous experience that I am surprised they haven't made it more difficult over the years.

[FORM]
Members
1,356 posts
10,026 battles
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

I have no idea how this captain got reassigned to the T-22.  

Well, that part is the mystery...

I used several no rank commanders on ships that I kept in dock just for something like this, and even played Co-Op on some of the crummier ones ;)

[ARGSY]
Members
18,276 posts
12,699 battles
1 minute ago, TheArc said:

Well, that part is the mystery...

I used several no rank commanders on ships that I kept in dock just for something like this, and even played Co-Op on some of the crummier ones ;)

Hell, I'm playing with a couple of substandard ones right now for two reasons:

1) I am trying to save up my Elite Commander XP.

2) I have been trying to spam Tier 5+ wins in order to get dailies for Dreadnought, and with limited play time available I haven't wanted to waste time running the captains through the Varyag (currently my only Soviet premium) to finish their retraining. (I have seriously considered getting the Murmansk for this reason; she's fairly cheap, and I'm used to playing the Omaha so the play-style won't be a major readjustment & she can do Dailies tasks.)

However, I finally unlocked Dreadnought last night (Merry Christmas to me), so I'm no longer afraid to spam lower tiers for a while or even risk losses in Randoms.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
25 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

How can that be?  I don’t have that many more games than you.  But I have 5 19 Point German captains alone.   Another 3 or 4 US and then at least one for France and Russia also.

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,762 battles
30 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Do you move your captains up the line or put new captains in every new ship? I moved my captains up using retraining and usually have at least 15-16 points by Tier 10.

Also, Clan Battles is a great way to get Commander XP (and/or Free XP).  Stack all your bonus signals, play Clan Battles, and watch the massive XP pile up. Some unicums can get 500,000 Commander XP in a night this way.

Edited by n00bot

[LUCK]
Members
1,798 posts
28,415 battles
12 minutes ago, _HatTrick_ said:

It's not even necessary to spend the 200k credits.  Just select basic training then when the skill chart comes up, that + sign will be under his portrait.  Click it and it gives you the option to use Elite/Free XP.  

Not good advice. 200k credits is nothing in comparison to halving the required Elite/Free XP.

If a player has a premium account 200k credits is partial profit from one battle. So no biggie there.

If a player doesn't have a premium account the rate at which they accumulate all Free/EliteXP/Credits is lower however credits are the easiest to obtain.

The short of it is halving retraining costs always makes sense/cents.

• Cool 1

[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts
21 minutes ago, _HatTrick_ said:

But does that advance the Captain as well as retrain him or just retrain him.  Seems a waste of Elite XP if it just retrains him.

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles
9 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Not good advice. 200k credits is nothing in comparison to halving the required Elite/Free XP.

If a player has a premium account 200k credits is partial profit from one battle. So no biggie there.

If a player doesn't have a premium account the rate at which they accumulate all Free/EliteXP/Credits is lower however credits are the easiest to obtain.

The short of it is halving retraining costs always makes sense/cents.

Uh, I never told anyone to use their Elite Commander XP on retraining.  I only told them it was possible.

8 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

But does that advance the Captain as well as retrain him or just retrain him.  Seems a waste of Elite XP if it just retrains him.

I am not sure about that.  I think if you need 25000 xp to finish retraining that the 25000 will go towards advancement after retraining is finished but I'd have to double check that.  In any case, yeah, it is kind of a waste and as I told the person I quoted above, I never said to do it.  I only said it COULD be done.

What I did say is there's no reason to pay credits or doubloons for retraining.  Simply slap as many camo/signals on your ship that boost commander xp and go out and play a game or two.  Your retraining will almost always get completed in a couple games or sometimes a single game (I got 41k commander xp in a single game once and I know people that have gotten more than that.)  200k credits may seem like a pittance to you guys that have been playing uninterrupted for 3 years but I have only recently returned after being away for almost 3 years and I have a lot of lines I'm trying to work up.  200k credits for retraining adds up so I choose not to pay it :Smile_coin:

[INTEL]
Members
1,687 posts
14,600 battles
27 minutes ago, _HatTrick_ said:

There's absolutely no reason to spend any doubloons or credits on retraining captains unless you really need it done fast like you need the guy for clan battles in 5 minutes or something.  Unlike World of Tanks, your "crew" consists of basically one person so that's all you have to worry about.  Also unlike World of Tanks, getting your "crew" back to max performance after using the free option for retraining is quick and painless.  In WoT, if you opted for free retraining, your crew all got reset to 70% and IIRC most of their crew skills wouldn't work until they reached 100% again.  Unlike Warships, in Tanks, the amount of xp needed to max out crews was not linear.  The closer they got to 100%, the more xp it took to get to the next percentage point.  It was horrible. Oh yeah, there were no +crew xp consumables (that I remember) to help with the process.  The best you could hope for was that they would put crew retraining on sale for a weekend and you could knock a bunch of them out at a discount.  This game is such a departure from that torturous experience that I am surprised they haven't made it more difficult over the years.

Correct, its not necessary, but its generally the better choice. Credits generate far faster than FXP/ECXP. 200k credit profit games are far more common than 25k xp games even using xp boosters for the average player.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

Wargaming has to make money on the game somehow and, as we all know, they make it from people who like convenience. You can buy Doubloons in order to have the convenience of instantly retraining a Commander or you can wait until the retraining period is up. You also can spend credits to halve retraining time and retrain instantly for elite captain XP.

Or, if you just want to knock off a snowflake, you can just play a Coop match, where it doesn't matter if the Commander is trained or not.

[LOU1]
Members
4,094 posts
11,410 battles
1 hour ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Retrain.jpg

In the Commander screen you will see the amount of XP needed to complete training under the Commander's picture.  You click the plus next to the numbers and that allows you to add Elite XP.  I always retrain that way.  50% with 200k silver and the rest with Elite XP.

[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts
1 minute ago, ExploratorOne said:

In the Commander screen you will see the amount of XP needed to complete training under the Commander's picture.  You click the plus next to the numbers and that allows you to add Elite XP.  I always retrain that way.  50% with 200k silver and the rest with Elite XP.

Yes, thank you.  Does using the Elite XP this way just retrain your commander or does it advance their level as well?

Sign in to follow this