You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Which destroyer line to play with?

35 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I am playing now with japanese destroyers but I am not strongly convinced about artillery and I lose most of the times when I am playing against other destroyers engaged in artillery duels, so I want to try another destroyer line as well. Which one would you recommend me?

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
704 posts
6,081 battles

USA is a good, well balanced overall line. German if you want hydro access as well with decent guns. Destroyer dueling is a struggle.. I still don'tfeel like I have it all figured out. The Japanese ones are stealth torpedo focused, which is great if you can land a hit (the torps are highly visible compared to other nations). There is a branch of higher tier gun focused ones if you do decide you like Japanese... ending with the terrifying Harugamo.

[ICBM]
Members
676 posts
7,937 battles

For IJN dds, you want to use your guns with hit-and-run tactics. Usually you outspot your opponents so time your shot so that you can get under cover or smoked up before they can return fire. With the IJN HE buffs, you can get some nice alpha strikes then fade away before the other dd can get you. 

If you want DDs that can gunfight, I'd recommend USN or RU dds. USN are good for knife fighting and generally have high dpm. RU can outgun any other DD at medium to long distance.

[RG]
[RG]
Members
2,893 posts
6,887 battles

Pan Asians are a solid line up to T10. YY got neutered. Otherwise it’s easily the most versatile line, with no stinkers at any other tier. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,826 posts
11,227 battles

Unless the target is weak, like, near one shot weak, guns are best used from smoke on spotted targets for most IJN DD's, they are not going to win gun duels on an equal setting against any remotely competent DD of another nation. There are exactly 3 exceptions - Akizuki, Kitakazi, Harugumo (pretty sure I have the right names) These are the true gunboat line, and will melt just about any opposing DD. 

Go PA or Germany - better torps sooner, along with ability to stealth torp, and decent guns. Mix of RU and USN DD's, 1 or 2 UK (not sure if of any in game), but solid ships in PA, and Germany is just a good all rounder - with the option to mega troll with 15 cm gun options in places to do cruiser levels of damage. 

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
3,930 posts

Ze Jurmanz.

Also, seen some well spec’d Aigle’s do very inappropriate things to almost any dd they come across. Plus no grind. Just FYI.

Edited by thebigblue

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles

USN is the default answer, but if trigger discipline crimps your fun then you were born to drive stalinboats. After Gnevny they become a lot of fun and Leningrad is an amazingly good premium trainer boat. The downside is you struggle to do ‘traditional’ DD things like sneak into a cap and scare reds away long enough to secure it. Any other DD that enters will spot you first. You have to adjust to a play focused on picking off solitary reds or using speed to flank the enemy or protect unguarded flanks. 

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,180 posts

The greatest # of kills I have seen in the game in one match come from the Harugumo (IJN T10). Six in one match followed three games later by 5 with different player.

[PHASE]
Members
6,256 posts
19,790 battles
1 hour ago, Ericson38 said:

The greatest # of kills I have seen in the game in one match come from the Harugumo (IJN T10). Six in one match followed three games later by 5 with different player.

that ship is so dirty its like spending a week in Amsterdam then cooling down in Bangkok for a few days without showering.

• Funny 2

[WOLFC]
Members
2,631 posts
14,379 battles
5 minutes ago, Abides said:

that ship is so dirty its like spending a week in Amsterdam then cooling down in Bangkok for a few days without showering.

Don't forget the stopovers in Panama and the Philippines on the way over ... ah, rememberances of my military days.

• Cool 1

[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts
3 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

I am playing now with japanese destroyers but I am not strongly convinced about artillery and I lose most of the times when I am playing against other destroyers engaged in artillery duels, so I want to try another destroyer line as well. Which one would you recommend me?

The only IJN DDs you want to get into gun fights with, imo, are the Akizuki, the Kitakaze, and the Harugumo.  The HSF Harekaze can do okay in a gun duel if you pick your opponent well.  Stay away from fair fights.

The IJN guns overall have recently been buffed, but it doesn't make them gun boats by any stretch of the imagination.  It just makes their guns slightly less meh.

two cents 2.jpg

[SBS]
Members
5,194 posts
Just now, Abides said:

Its funny, the only reason people think that is because they have such low expectations for DDs.  If it were a cruisers people would be screaming for buffs, and WG would oblige.

• Meh 1

Beta Testers
587 posts
1,640 battles
4 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

Japanese DDs are almost all exclusively torpedo boats.  Their guns are usually somewhere in the neighborhood of laughable to barely adequate.  There are a couple of exceptions but generally speaking, if you get in a knife fight with another DD that you cannot disengage from, you need to take advantage of your small profile and bob and weave your way close enough to launch torps.  Either that or pop smoke, turn 90 degrees and run for it.  Japanese DDs will almost always lose a gun fight and that is by design.

If you're looking for something with better guns, basically any of the other lines would fit that bill but with almost all of them that's going to mean worse torpedo capability (gotta give some to get some.)  I have every DD line to at least tier 6 (except German) and honestly I like them all.  I would say though if you're looking for a kind of jack of all trades nation for DDs, go with the US boats.  They have good guns for damage and DPM but they do have some issues with poor ballistics on longer shots.  If you want to go all in on being a gun boat, there is only one choice for you Comrade and that is Soviet.  Pan Asia are good all around boats but they use deepwater torpedoes which only hit cruiser size and larger ships so they are worthless in fighting other DDs.  They are still a good line though.  Germans are fun to play but their playstyle changes kind of radically as you go up in tiers.  UK is probably my favorite just because I love that acceleration hack they have.  it makes dodging incoming fire SO much easier.  Like the US, they have good guns but poor ballistics but up close they will chew up enemy DDs pretty well.  

I think that's all of them and that's just a quick overview but hopefully it will give you a little guidance on where to invest your time.

[RMRGD]
Members
452 posts
21,651 battles

I honestly would suggest the german line of DDs.   The hydro will defend you against torps, the smoke is short so you dont become a smoke camper.  Smoke camper = death.  Guns are pretty solid.   The big perk is torps reload very fast.  Meaning you get more practice.     Once you get tier 7+ you start shooting torps where you think the ships go not what they are actually doing.  since BBs stop sailing in straight lines.    The USN is also good line but I feel people tend to camp in the smoke a lot more often since it last so long. 

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,757 battles

Destroyer dueling is often a bad idea no matter what line it is.  Your job as a DD is not DPM. The only time I willingly engage in DD-vs-DD is when the other boat is already low on health, or when I have nearby friends to outnumber them.  If you play this way, you don’t need a gun buff. You need buddies and good decision making. If you end up with the US or German lines and try to push red DD’s 1v1, I wouldn’t congratulate yourself for killing a red DD if your health pool is at 1/3 after the battle. I’d rather have a “weak” IJN DD plus one friend in any ship and come away with 3/4 health. Your brain will make a much bigger difference than a DD’s DPM.

Edited by n00bot

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts

The USN line was a bit difficult for me until I got to the Benson. After that there was the Fletcher, which many prefer over the Gearing in tier X matches. However, I really like the Gearing and it's probably my favorite ship in the game. You can spec it out as a gunboat or a stealth long-range torpedo boat or as a generalist. With the new Legendary module its stealth is only exceed by one ship in the game, and that only by a tiny amount. At tier X, the survival skill makes it a bit more "tanky" than other DDs too, which really helps in a gunfight or when radared early on.  I can't count how many matches I've continued to play with less than a hundred hitpoints of health, after which Adrenaline Rush allowed me to become a quick-reloading stealth torpedo boat.

Edited by Snargfargle

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,137 posts

Just stick with the IJN until you get to Akizuki. Then cue up the shark music from Jaws, and harvest the tears of new Benson players who think you are just another torp boat.

[AK]
Members
298 posts
9,593 battles

If you stick with the japanese dd line, you can eventually grind all the way to the Shimakaze. 15 torpedoes with 20km range. True the reload is 2 1/2 minutes, but what can you do?

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,151 posts
7,357 battles

Pure Gun boat go Russian.  US, starts as gun boats then aquires good torps late tier and does both well.  German good all around but excellent at nothing in particular, best AP of any gun boats.  Pan Asian, gun boats which later get great fast deep water torps.  British, meh gun boats until T8+ with IFHE.  Japanese torp boats except the alternate DD line T8+ are good gun boast if you use IFHE.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,774 posts
25,255 battles

All of them has their merits and faults.

The second IJN DD line has awesome gunboats. The downside is a single torpedo launcher with terrible reload times and they are clumsy.

The USN DD are a kind of Jack of all traits. Shell balistic is terrible at a range of more then 9km, but the RoF and Torpedos are good.. They got a kind of powercreeped by other lines.

KM DD have better shell balistics then the USN and the best torpedos reload. But the torpedo damage is low. Their biggest advantage is hydro, coming with T6. The Z-52 is one of the best cap contester, dual AB-X turrets and 5.9km hydro. With the premium hydro mod you have nearly 2 1/2 minutes duration. Their HE is meh, AP is good.

The VMF have two very different lines. The gunboat line top tiers are more like small cruisers without a citadel. Extrem fast, good guns but worst concealment of all. They also have heals as a alternative to smoke. You should use the speed mod that give you a longer working time for the engine speed consumables. 

The "torpedoboat" line has one of the most versantile DD at T10. While there are many that say the Groz isn't as good as the Khab, some (like Lert and me) enjoy the ship. Good guns, ok consealment, good torpedos, ok speed, heal. Just good in all stats without being excellent in one. Comfortable to play if you like a more conservative DD.

The RN is a bit.. strange. Up to T7 mostly terrible. Many even consider the T8 as the highlight of the line. Playerbase is split about the Daring. A DD with lots of potential but feels less confortable then the lower tiers. They have the worst smoke in game, it's more like a last resort if you need to get away then use it offensiv. Torpedos can be fired single, top tier has hydro and heal. 

The Pan Asian are a mix from many nations. Their gimmick is deepwater torpedos. While you cannot hit a DD, they do a high damage to all other ships. They are hard to spot. The top tiers are a Fletcher clone and the Allen M. Sumner class. The last one is comparable to the Gearing. You can use radar instead of smoke. They have the same guns like the USN. The Yueyang was a bit of overperforming and got a slight nerf in one of the last patches.

Hope it helps you a bit. Depending what they want to test on the next time PTS come online, you may have a chance to unlock the higher tier DD's easy and take them out to a testdrive. 

[DAS]
Members
929 posts
7,364 battles
2 hours ago, _HatTrick_ said:

Japanese DDs are almost all exclusively torpedo boats.  Their guns are usually somewhere in the neighborhood of laughable to barely adequate.  There are a couple of exceptions but generally speaking, if you get in a knife fight with another DD that you cannot disengage from, you need to take advantage of your small profile and bob and weave your way close enough to launch torps.  Either that or pop smoke, turn 90 degrees and run for it.  Japanese DDs will almost always lose a gun fight and that is by design.

On paper you aren't wrong, but it all comes down to the captain. I almost get more kills with my guns than torpedoes when I play my IJN DDs. I sometimes feel there are too many DD captains that think they aren't supposed to use their guns.