Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Best Japanese destroyers of every Tier?

17 comments in this topic

Members
296 posts
5,255 battles

I am playing with the japanese destroyers and I wanted to go through Tier X and keep the best destroyers to play with and improve them with skills and modules. Which japanese destroyers stand out from Tier II to Tier X?

Also if you have advice on how is the way to play them and be successful with torpedoes I would appreciate it.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,538 posts
19,383 battles

I don't particularly like DD play but I wanted to say I do love the Tachibana. It is such fun at tier 2, especially in co-op where I play. It can be bought with a port slot for 99 cents in the shop. It is the Tachibana Lima but they are identical except for the paint job. IMHO it is a dollar well spent just for the laughs it gives.

• Cool 3

[HYDRO]
Members
2,241 posts
4,197 battles

At the moment Kitakaze is very strong. Unparalleled firepower, actual speed compared to Akizuki, competitive stealth, follows the AP overpenetration rule in contrast to Harugumo, and to top it off she carries a sixtuple launcher which every 2-3 minutes turns you into a torpedo boat as well.

[INTEL]
Members
6,894 posts
27,628 battles

As a DD main the ones I like (tree) and kept are:

• Isokaze
  • Fubuki
  • Shiratsuyu
  • Akatsuki
  • Kagero
  • Yugumo
  • Shimakaze
  • Akizuki
  • Kitakaze
  • Harugumo

I also have premiums I like:

• Tachibana
  • Fujin/Kamikaze sisters
  • Shinonome

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,932 posts
9,049 battles

Minekaze, Fubuki, Akatsuki, Akizuki, Kitakaze, Haragumo.

If IJN did not get a spotting range nerf on torps tier 9 and lower so they had the same detection as other nations do - I'd say go to the Shimakaze (which was a tad over nerfed as well). Problem really is that the IJN torp boats now have torps spotted seconds sooner than other nations, with guns that do not back them up well at all, so their teeth have pretty much been taken out, other than Minekaze which has the same stealth, faster torp reload, and the same torp spotted range as other nations, giving her torps similar reaction times left as her cousins the Kami clones. That are frequently called OP while Minekaze is forgotten about. Joke is the Kami clone sare the only torpedo boats other than Minekaze that are actually balanced to torpedo boat well. With the other being that Minekaze is actually part of the gunboat line, which at tiers 6 and 7 is still trying to be a torpedo boat line, which, doesn't work well. Then you get to 8-10 where the gunboat line actually learns to gunboat and does it well, and the torp line because of the nerf and the amount of hydro, captains with Vig, the detection upgrade that spots things sooner - their torps are a joke when the top tier USN DD's, German DD's, and in particular PA DD's can actually better fill the torp boat role, while having better guns. 

[KAPPA]
Members
440 posts
5,116 battles

2: Tachibana Lima, because who wants to assign a permanant commander at T2?
3/4: No choices.
5: Fujin, if you can somehow get her. She's the prettiest Kamikaze sister.
6: Shinonome, who I don't have, but have heard good things about.
7: Not quite sure. Probably Shiratsuyu, though. I always found her good to me.
8: Asashio. Favorite T8 DD.
9: Kitakaze, as she just has nice guns.
10: Up to your tastes.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,980 posts
4,867 battles

T2 - Tachibana I suppose if you really want a T2 IJN DD. Who honestly cares about this tier?

T3 - meh

T4 - Isokaze, still pretty decent at clubbing newcomers

T5 - Kamikaze if you ever win the jackpot with Christmas crates or supercontainers. Otherwise meh

T6 - complete the campaign for Shinonome

T7 - Akatsuki is more well rounded than Shiratsuyu

T8 - You can't go wrong here. Kagero, Asashio, and Akizuki are all good ships if played well. It's up to your tastes.

T9 - Kitakaze and Yugumo are both good. Up to you

T10 - Harugumo.

[SYN]
Members
3,263 posts
15,179 battles

I have kept all the IJN DD lines but the high points are below:

T2 - Umikaze - 8km range on the torps

T4 - Isokaze

T5 - Kamikaze sisters if you can get one

T8 - Kagero & Asashio,

T9 - Yugumo - the best tech tree DD in the line

10 - Shimakaze - The original terror of all BB captains

As for tips and tricks I find Destroyer KuroshioKai has some excellent vids on tactics on youtube.        

Edited by Camo68

[PLPT]
Members
824 posts
7,912 battles

Tech Tree

Torpedo Boats:

• Minekaze can stealth torp at T5 which is unique, but I prefer Fubuki at T6 as a mid-tier torp boat.
  • Shiratsuyu is the first to get Torpedo Reload Booster, and T7 doesn’t always have radar. It’s the best balance of torps vs radar. Even though it’s in the “gunboat” line, it’s really a torpedo spammer.
  • Shimakaze of course! I run the 8k F3 torps for maximum lolz but they have a very high skill floor.

Gun Boats:

Well, all of them: Akizuki - Kitakaze - Harugumo.  Haru’s DPM is outright OP.  Take Vigilance on your captain, because getting torped in smoke is the main way you die. Start to angle against torps as soon as you are spotted or smoke up. Also, use the speed boost for extra maneuverability against torps, not for speed across the map.

Premium

My favorite premium in the whole game is the Harekaze. It can be played as a torpedo boat or hybrid, depending on how you configure it, and recent changes to IJN HE pen has buffed an already good ship.

Shininome is also great, and you can earn it through a campaign for free. It looks like a torpedo boat but the guns have great alpha. In Sprint Ranked, lots of T-61’s and Farraguts chased my Shino, assuming they could outgun this IJN DD.  They died from my HE blasts. Shoot, duck behind an island or smoke, wait for reload, repeat. It takes time because of the slow reload, but each volley can rip 1/4 to 1/3 health off a red DD.

Special shout-out to the T2 Tachibana. Best lolz per dollar ratio.

Edited by n00bot

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles
15 hours ago, n00bot said:

Shininome is also great, and you can earn it through a campaign for free. It looks like a torpedo boat but the guns have great alpha. In Sprint Ranked, lots of T-61’s and Farraguts chased my Shino, assuming they could outgun this IJN DD.  They died from my HE blasts. Shoot, duck behind an island or smoke, wait for reload, repeat. It takes time because of the slow reload, but each volley can rip 1/4 to 1/3 health off a red DD.

Have complaints about both the reload AND glacial turrets. Seems I have to wait forever sometimes to get my guns on target, fire a salvo, then wait for the reload. It takes great timing to have the guns lined up at the same time they are loaded while dodging. Seems I am always waiting for one or the other. So many "magic" moments where I am locked on, waiting for the reload, and just as the guns load and I click the mouse they drift off lock and I have to wait for relock.

Overall, still a good boat. But lots of frustrations. 

[WORX]
Members
2,561 posts
13,923 battles

Fubuki and Isokaze are the only torp boats that are good to have... All other DDs are not good at their specialized task.

The gun boats have an American DD feel, not my cup of tea.

Other then that. Your options are limited

Members
82 posts
594 battles

I'm still pretty much a newb here so take this for whatever it's worth.  I'm more of a gunboat guy so most of the early to mid tier IJN DD's are not among my favorites even tho I have had considerable success with a few of them.  That said, After the Clemson in the US line I really enjoyed the Isokaze. Once I had it fully upgraded Hatsuharu was good.  I'm doing the Akizuki now and while I really love the way it plays  my success has been limited.  Probably some of that is due to her just being wildly different from other IJN dd's so far.  Some also might be due to my being relentlessly down tiered against T 10s.  Only 8 games into it though and my gut feeling is that once I get a handle on her she will be one of my favorites.

[PLPT]
Members
824 posts
7,912 battles
8 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

So many "magic" moments where I am locked on, waiting for the reload, and just as the guns load and I click the mouse they drift off lock and I have to wait for relock.

It’s true, but I deal with this by letting off the rudder slightly just before the reload hits, allowing the guns to lock by the time reload hits. Holding rudder 100% is easy to predict anyway, and letting off the rudder slightly can actually help you dodge as well. We’ll say it has a moderate skill floor, but I find it workable.

[CVA16]
Members
2,795 posts
10,514 battles
1 hour ago, n00bot said:

It’s true, but I deal with this by letting off the rudder slightly just before the reload hits, allowing the guns to lock by the time reload hits.

But why do the guns remain locked through the entire loading process but break lock just as the circle turns green?:Smile_sceptic:

Found the same type of thing with islands for lots of ships. Its noticeable on the Shinonome because of the slow reload. Waiting, waiting, waiting for the circle to turn green. It finally does and, you click the left mouse and that little mountain symbol pops up right AFTER you fire to let you know your full salvo just hit rocks. WG must have a few sadistic programmers.

Members
46 posts
2,626 battles

I prefer gunboats, so that will definitely affect my rankings.  Take that for what it is.

Tier 2: Tachibana sisters

Tier 3: Wakatake (only choice)

Tier 4: Isokaze (only choice)

Tier 5: Kamikaze sisters

Tier 6: Shinonome

Tier 7: Akatsuki

Tier 8: Akizuki

Tier 9: Kitakaze

Tier 10: Harugumo

A torp detection buff could change the game if it were to ever happen.  For ships that really on their torps, they are much too easy to avoid.  I would almost say German or high tier American are better torp boats.  The exception is the monsters that are the Kami sisters.  They're terrifying.

In conclusion, IJN has great gunboats at tier 2, 8, 9, and 10.  Little monsters of torp boats at tier 5, and nothing better than underwhelming at tiers 3, 4, 6, and 7.

[HEROS]
Members
1,498 posts
12,737 battles

the IJN 127's HE damage just got buffed recently, so don't discount your guns.  you have a slower rate of fire and a sad turret traverse for the most part so you'll need to adjust your manuver appropriately to account for it.  But if you can be a strait shooter there's really nothing out there that should scare you.. quite the opposite.. YOUR the shark in the water!

IJN DD's are typically a bit slower then every one elses so plan ahead.

At this point the only IJN DD's I rally don't have are the tier X's.  I've had 'em and sold em back!  I just don't like them very much.  To over specialized with glaring difficult to deal with weaknesses.

Best overall IJN DD, HSF Harekaze 4-10 hull.  Lease number of HP in the tier, best guns in the tier, option to go no smoke, plenty of up grade slots.  Tiny and agile.  But you do have to KNOW how to drive IJN DD's.. one error at the wrong time and yer swimm'n with the fishes!

My favorite is the Torp boat line Yugumo at tier XI.  she's a monster.  

IJN DD's demand more player skill then other lines, but they reward those that learn quite nicely.  There are no really bad IJN DD's, but there are a LOT of bad IJN DD players.   Always remember the ship is just a tool.   It's YOU that makes it look good.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
638 posts
2,820 battles

I've only gotten up to tier 7 in the tech tree on each line, but I have kept very few of the low and mid-tier ships. The only IJN destroyers I still have, other than the premiums and the Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu I'm currently working on (and expect to keep at least one or possibly both) are Umikaze, Wakatake, and Hatsuharu. The others are a shadow of what they used to be.

--Helms

Sign in to follow this