You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

Ranked T6 thoughts - Aoba!, Anshan..., Pensa, Dallas

21 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,555 posts
3,311 battles

Okay so, a PSA: seems like t6 ranked is completely determined by caps and dds. If yours don't survive, your chances of winning are virtually zero. Yes, any ship except the CV is less valuable than a DD, and that's how I play and win streak after streak. 
(Not quite the same for other seasons of ranked) 

--

Below follow more debatable opinions. 

Firstly, Aoba and the IJN cruiser buff: personally, WOW. this makes Aoba amazing and the most comfy non-BB choice. I've been able to get in close, put the hurt on DDs, while farming bbs with fire over a rock, put an occasional torp into something. She deals with other cruisers fine too. On Aoba, your turret traverse is okay, so I take AA-range mod, can't do that in Myoko. 

In contrast, Anshan, like I've always felt, has been randomly carried for my win rate. I don't feel like Anshan really contributes much. T61 seems to be strong, as expected. 

Dallas was a lot more frustrating than expected, different/hard to aim. Damage was ok. Reload was slow. Needed IFHE and CE, have only 3pt capt. (Have captains for Helena, Omaha and Cleveland, don't have any more). 

So moved to Pensa, hmm. Also frustrating, but in a different way. The pen and aim felt good, but the turrets are REALLY slow and she takes damage everywhere. Unlike Aoba where its easy to make a turn and kite. 

Graf Spee seemed good too. 

Ofc. BBs lol: Mutsu was really strong and good to use. Prefer it over Arizona. 

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,104 battles

Mutsu is unironically really decent as you overmatch virtually everything, so pen issues are not very much of an issue. Arizona/New Mexico has always been bad in t6 ranked due to no overmatch on battleships, as well as being overmatched everywhere; Fuso gets away with it through having MONSTROUS DPM.

All the cruisers kind of suck aside from De Grasse and La Gal. Just too slow to be useful otherwise. Game winning plays happen very quickly and you need to be in the right position at the right time, and to be able to actively threaten destroyers...

...which as you pointed out, are the game winners of this season. I played literally nothing but Aigle, and had a first person account of what happens when you knock out a destroyer early. The only time I was ever in danger this season was from two Farraguts working together against me, and being hunted by a De Grasse, all the other cruisers were just fodder waiting to be shot, to be quite honest. They never had enough impact to stop me or other destroyers from winning caps. Farragut, T-61, and Anshan are all good picks.

French meme machine actually worked really well, though.

vi37D9l.jpg?1

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
580 posts
16,760 battles
50 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I don't feel like Anshan really contributes much. T61 seems to be strong, as expected.

Sadly, T61 has better concealment, MUCH better torps, faster turrets, and comes with hydro. Anshan is a victim of premium power creep and a forgotten child of the mid-tier RU DD buffs. At least she has much better HE shell performance than T61.

Shinonome is a better contender for top tier DD: 3x3 torps, 2 more guns, same concealment, cruiser level HE firepower. It's not uncommon to strip 3000-4000 hp off a DD in a single salvo using those 127mm guns.

53 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

I told you so! :cap_like:

[HYPE]
Members
128 posts
43,279 battles
1 hour ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

Mutsu is unironically really decent as you overmatch virtually everything, so pen issues are not very much of an issue. Arizona/New Mexico has always been bad in t6 ranked due to no overmatch on battleships, as well as being overmatched everywhere; Fuso gets away with it through having MONSTROUS DPM.

All the cruisers kind of suck aside from De Grasse and La Gal. Just too slow to be useful otherwise. Game winning plays happen very quickly and you need to be in the right position at the right time, and to be able to actively threaten destroyers...

...which as you pointed out, are the game winners of this season. I played literally nothing but Aigle, and had a first person account of what happens when you knock out a destroyer early. The only time I was ever in danger this season was from two Farraguts working together against me, and being hunted by a De Grasse, all the other cruisers were just fodder waiting to be shot, to be quite honest. They never had enough impact to stop me or other destroyers from winning caps. Farragut, T-61, and Anshan are all good picks.

French meme machine actually worked really well, though.

vi37D9l.jpg?1

absolutely agree what Mr. -K-  said.

5v5 t6 ranked food chain: aigle and farragut (ifhe gunboat build) > T61> all T6 BB > all ifhe cl and RN cl > all 203mm CA. 

if you are a S, play aigle. if you are a M, go play aoba and pepsicola :)

here is the proof

23_12_2018_18_11_06[1].png

Edited by ihsasum

[HYPE]
Members
128 posts
43,279 battles

i however, use a different approach. i basically treat aigle as a t6 atlanta/woocester. I find a good piece of rock and camp there for the rest of the game, shooting everything that are spotted. if nothing spotted, i reverse out of the rock a bit with speed booast on, blind fire and lure them to shoot back. Then i hide behind the island again, shoot them for 20 sec and repeat the process until they are all died.

[RKLES]
Members
12,222 posts
13,863 battles

Icarus  is actually really good Anti DD hunter if used right. It’s guns pack a punch, compact sized hull to render return Fire difficult to hit you, decent speed, nice acceleration, has Hydro, 7km torpedoes, 6km detection range, and smoke that while a little short in duration still is great to use since it can be used often.

[HYPE]
Members
128 posts
43,279 battles

fire power of aigle 
12.5rpm x 1.1 (BFT)x 5 (guns) x 2000 (HE shells listed dmg) x 0.33 (net HE dmg modifer) x 0.4 (assuming you have 40% hit ratio) x 0.9 (10% of your shells will land on the mainbelt and turret armour)
= 16335
fire power of baltimore
6rpm x 9 (guns) x 2800 (HE shells listed dmg) x 0.33 (net HE dmg modifer) x 0.35 (assuming you have 35% hit ratio) x 0.9 (10% of your shells will land on the mainbelt and turret armour)
= 15717

intead of playing aigle like a DD, play it like a gunboat, your team will have an extra t8 heavy cruiser.

[HYPE]
Members
128 posts
43,279 battles

exactly. firepower is everything in 5v5 t6 ranked. you kill them fast, you kill them before they kill you.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,581 posts
3,808 battles
3 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Okay so, a PSA: seems like t6 ranked is completely determined by caps and dds. If yours don't survive, your chances of winning are virtually zero. Yes, any ship except the CV is less valuable than a DD, and that's how I play and win streak after streak. 
(Not quite the same for other seasons of ranked) 

--

Below follow more debatable opinions. 

Firstly, Aoba and the IJN cruiser buff: personally, WOW. this makes Aoba amazing and the most comfy non-BB choice. I've been able to get in close, put the hurt on DDs, while farming bbs with fire over a rock, put an occasional torp into something. She deals with other cruisers fine too. On Aoba, your turret traverse is okay, so I take AA-range mod, can't do that in Myoko. 

In contrast, Anshan, like I've always felt, has been randomly carried for my win rate. I don't feel like Anshan really contributes much. T61 seems to be strong, as expected. 

Dallas was a lot more frustrating than expected, different/hard to aim. Damage was ok. Reload was slow. Needed IFHE and CE, have only 3pt capt. (Have captains for Helena, Omaha and Cleveland, don't have any more). 

So moved to Pensa, hmm. Also frustrating, but in a different way. The pen and aim felt good, but the turrets are REALLY slow and she takes damage everywhere. Unlike Aoba where its easy to make a turn and kite. 

Graf Spee seemed good too. 

Dallas really needs both CE and IFHE, but with those it's a little monster. Fragile, but the DPM is very good. The Helena is even better for its tier.

Pepsi really got nerfed when it down tiered. The turret traverse is abysmal, really makes it hard to play. The concealment could be better as well. It was a decent ship after they buffed it, but it was basically reverted, and now is back to it's terrible state.

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
580 posts
16,760 battles
1 hour ago, ihsasum said:

fire power of aigle 
12.5rpm x 1.1 (BFT)x 5 (guns) x 2000 (HE shells listed dmg) x 0.33 (net HE dmg modifer) x 0.4 (assuming you have 40% hit ratio) x 0.9 (10% of your shells will land on the mainbelt and turret armour)
= 16335
fire power of baltimore
6rpm x 9 (guns) x 2800 (HE shells listed dmg) x 0.33 (net HE dmg modifer) x 0.35 (assuming you have 35% hit ratio) x 0.9 (10% of your shells will land on the mainbelt and turret armour)
= 15717

intead of playing aigle like a DD, play it like a gunboat, your team will have an extra t8 heavy cruiser.

You didn't mention that Aigle has terrible ballistics at 700m/s. Most of your shells tend to be superstructure or deck hits, which may affect actual damage output.

Also, who is contesting caps while you farm damage?

Members
6,277 posts
19,822 battles

exactly. firepower is everything in 5v5 t6 ranked. you kill them fast, you kill them before they kill you.

fire power of aigle 
= 16335
fire power of baltimore
= 15717

so it appears that the Aigle is still bugged with IFHE, losing 3% fire chance?

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
797 posts
11,976 battles

Someone mentioned Mutsu up thread. One thing to remember if you have one and take it out, a lot of people either forget or don't realize that it has torps. Comes in very handy if you can get close enough to the enemy BB's or any CA that doesn't have torps.

[PEED2]
Members
159 posts
10,022 battles

Ranked out in 22 games, all with the T-61. I feel like there was nothing that could contest caps better than the 61 with hydro mod on. The hydro lasts very long and at 4km range allows you to be immune to torpedoes(basically) and also push forward to hydro other dds in smoke. Everything on it is solid, guns, torps, health, just no real weakness. I guess you could say 6.1km stealth isn’t so great but I found it totally workable. I still feel in competitive mode where there is no radar, playing dd allows the most control of the game. I saw some great bb and ca play, but really everything depends on the dds capping/spotting/ disputing caps. Just my two cents. 

• Cool 1

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,104 battles
3 hours ago, AbyssAngkor said:

You didn't mention that Aigle has terrible ballistics at 700m/s. Most of your shells tend to be superstructure or deck hits, which may affect actual damage output.

I personally played it in the caps as well, before transitioning over to damage farming. Blitz in, attempt to club the destroyer, then play however the situation requires. 6.8 isn't the best concealment, but Aigle can cover ground very quickly, and you're able to catch most DDs bow in at the start, and force them to smoke, and only a Farragut really wants to gunfight an Aigle at T6. This is also why I said you want fast cruisers to keep up with your DDs and help them against enemy DDs, this strategy only really had issues when there were multiple DDs going to the same cap, or De Grasse/La Gal pushed up to help. Most of the games I won was after the enemy DD(s) were forced to smoke and/or leave the cap, or outright killed.

I've also lived and breathed American 127mms for years, so Aigle's shells aren't too tricky to handle. The shells being so floaty is actually really handy at lobbing shells over cover. IFHE Farragut is also good at this, but with considerably worse fire chance.

[FAE]
Members
2,555 posts
3,311 battles

Actually, I found that Aoba was doing good in the "get in close and help kill DD's" department. Not that scared of being deleted by Bbs either. I like her. 

The CLs are kinda flimsy, though I'm sure they can put out better DPM vs dds. Not dying at a glance though is the biggest grace of the Aoba.  yum boba. 

see if that changes as we get closer to rank1. (But the ranks are so short that its unlikely that player quality will change so significantly that i'll need a new ship) 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles

cruisers: aoba la galisso or de grasse,nothing more.

BBs:WV,mutsu or warspite,anything else is asking to get stomped

DD:t-61 or ashan if you don't have one.

CV:ryujo.

[HYPE]
Members
128 posts
43,279 battles

Ranked point gain per capture point: 9pt per 10 seconds =54 pts per min. 
In a 1 cap vs 2 cap scenario:
Both team started at 300 pts. so enemies will cap out 700/54= 12.96 min
which means 
aigle can dish out this amount of dmg at the same time:
211,702 Mutsu has the largest HP pool in T6:
58400 x 1x (16.8% (heal percent per heal with heal flag) x 5 (number of heals))
=107,456 HP 
So, before they can cap out in a 1v2 cap scenario:
you can kill more than 2 full hp mutsu ALONE in aigle, that is you only shoot HE, land 0 torps. get 0 fire and your teamates are all BOTS with 0 aim.
By killing 1 full hp mutsu, your team gains 40 pts, your enemies lose 60 pts. so killing 2 full hp mutsu reduce the point differeces by 200.
So in a 1 vs 2 cap scenario, the enemies gain only a few by having an extra cap and in conclusion:
killing is more important than capping. 
killing fast is more important than capping fast.
not dying is more important than capping. 
not losing a huge % of your hp is more important than capping.

• Cool 1

[HYPE]
Members
128 posts
43,279 battles
13 hours ago, AbyssAngkor said:

when you do the maths above, you will find that its perfectly ok for you to sit back at a rock and farm. you only need to cap when your teamates melt faster than your killing speed and your enemies have all caps.

[COMET]
Members
5 posts
9,950 battles

Best ship this season of Ranked Sprint is the  Farragut.  That is if you have a similar play style to mine.

I wasted quite a few games on ships like the T-61 and the Shinonome that were recommended, but switched to

the Farragut and never looked back.  If My team didn't win I was top XP.  Every time.

YMMV

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!