You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joyous_Vibes

What makes a unicom a unicom?

34 comments in this topic

Members
6,277 posts
19,819 battles

I know many clans share info that they have learned and can division up and have great stats but there is more to it. What makes a guy hit above 60% or 65% playing solo. More map awareness? More patient? Simply aims better?

I played with 07 for two games and we easily won (held my own btw) but knowing they were there I just had fun and didn't even pay attention to the score... each of the two games they had the two top spots and 4th...What do players like them do that separates them from the rest of us. 

Hoping to get into the mindset of these players and not hoping to start a stat shaming contest, it is Christmas Eve for crying out loud!

• Cool 4

Members
2,255 posts

Well, really it takes strategic thinking... A knowledge of a nations ships and the ship your playing's pros and con's. Map flows and good captain builds suited to your play style.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,344 posts
13,879 battles
6 minutes ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

1. Situational Awareness.

2. Skill to make use of that information.

3) An almost anal focus on only a few ships.

Also I thought it was spelled unicum.

[--K--]
Members
6,623 posts
14,409 battles

Map awareness and knowing what ships can hurt your team the most. 

Looking at the mini map and what the teams are doing and knowing when to push and when to kite, when to fire, when to go dark. 

Also having good personal skill in aiming and having a good knowledge of what moves the enemy players are going to make. 

Knowing how to angle. 

Knowing detection ranges and realizing where ships are spotting you from. 

Paying attention to what ships are spotted and figuring out where other ships are based on torp spreads and numbers of shells coming from otherwise unspotted ships. 

Man, way too many things to list easily. Package it all up and you get a unicum. 

Compare that to a dd player who believes he must cap regardless of support or the cruiser that feels he must provide close fire support to tgat dd who has decided to cap against all odds. 

To me the most important thing I have learned is to never throw my ship away in a bad trade. That's why contesting a cap against bad odds is stupid. You are more likely to lose the cap and get killed. losing the cap but staying alive is a much better outcome. 

Also, if you want good insight from a unicum player and what is good or bad, check out @Lord_Zaths YouTube channel. You can also submit your replays to him and find out things you are doing right and wrong yourself. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 2

Members
886 posts
14,046 battles

What it really boils down to is the Unicum knows what it takes to win.

The Unicum will do whatever it takes to make that happen, even sacrifice his/her own game if it gets the team a win.

• Cool 1

[WORST]
Members
141 posts
15,429 battles

Didn't know there was a guy that would look at replays and offer up advice from the Forums. I watch Unicums: (definitely going to try this out)

I played with a Unicum/Super Unicum Player. He had stat-tracker(he was padding a lot but was GREAT) but he was still amazing in all his ships. He was anal as heck... I think being anal makes you good but there are naturals. Being both anal and a natural whoa! 

I AM SO slow and frustrated in learning this game. On the flip side for the first time I get close to Unicum stats on a couple of my US Heavy Cruisers 6-9. If nothing else: Ambush Caps, Seal Club and try exploit the errors of others! 

I know a Unicum that refuses to discipline himself. Guy is a wrecking ball just gets too bored to stat-pad. So not all High Stat players are Numero Uno. I watched this guy get 31 Citadels in a CB Match in a Des Moines then take out 5 out of 6 ships in a Low Level Storm Clan vs a Unicum Clan.

Edited by MassiveSalvo

[O7]
Members
2,004 posts
16,370 battles

My biggest thing is awareness. I am careful to put myself in a position to use and abuse terrain to minimize who can shoot at me and overall mitigate damage to trade as favorably as possible. Once ive work down the people on my flank enough I will make a push and thats where the skill of turret management and awareness comes in to win the 1v1 and 1v2s. Its all about experience and recognizing when a play needs to be made and what that play is. I learned by watching and playing with better players.

[FML]
Members
3,655 posts
14,584 battles
57 minutes ago, Abides said:

I know many clans share info that they have learned and can division up and have great stats but there is more to it. What makes a guy hit above 60% or 65% playing solo. More map awareness? More patient? Simply aims better?

I played with 07 for two games and we easily won (held my own btw) but knowing they were there I just had fun and didn't even pay attention to the score... each of the two games they had the two top spots and 4th...What do players like them do that separates them from the rest of us. 

Hoping to get into the mindset of these players and not hoping to start a stat shaming contest, it is Christmas Eve for crying out loud!

It’s hard to say - as someone who is borderline unicum, I’m not quite there yet. 

But, imo, it is the ability to see and predict the flow of battle on the basis of limited information, and acting on that information early. When to push, when to kite. This all feeds into that elusive concept of ‘positioning’, which I think really is more about pre-positioning to your ships strengths and the enemies weaknesses, with enough lead time (minutes) to get it done.

Its the ability to aim well and hit targets that are turning at long range. It’s about prioritising important targets (ie. DDs) instead of pursuing higher personal damage totals like nailing an idiot BB. 

Its about controlled aggression - how to stay in the fight but not take unnecessary damage (through angling/dodging), but live to the end of battle - having already made a crustal contribution - with the will and determination to for e a win in the crucial final moments of a battle. 

Still, unicums still lose 40% of the time. 

28 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Map awareness and knowing what ships can hurt your team the most. 

Looking at the mini map and what the teams are doing and knowing when to push and when to kite, when to fire, when to go dark. 

Also having good personal skill in aiming and having a good knowledge of what moves the enemy players are going to make. 

Knowing how to angle. 

Knowing detection ranges and realizing where ships are spotting you from. 

Paying attention to what ships are spotted and figuring out where other ships are based on torp spreads and numbers of shells coming from otherwise unspotted ships. 

Man, way too many things to list easily. Package it all up and you get a unicum. 

Compare that to a dd player who believes he must cap regardless of support or the cruiser that feels he must provide close fire support to tgat dd who has decided to cap against all odds. 

To me the most important thing I have learned is to never throw my ship away in a bad trade. That's why contesting a cap against bad odds is stupid. You are more likely to lose the cap and get killed. losing the cap but staying alive is a much better outcome. 

Also, if you want good insight from a unicum player and what is good or bad, check out @Lord_Zaths YouTube channel. You can also submit your replays to him and find out things you are doing right and wrong yourself. 

I also agree with this. 

Everyone can can make a start at becoming unicum by looking up LittleWhiteMouse ‘s Guide to controlling your win rate. And doing those things. 

Good luck!

Edited by UltimateNewbie

Supertester
55 posts
10,046 battles

Basically:

• Game knowledge (armor values, detection ranges, etc.)
  • Mechanical ability (aiming, WASD hacks, etc.)
  • Situational awareness (applying knowledge and mechanics to your own play)

The way I see it, it's not just situational awareness per se - if you paused at any particular point in a battle and spent some time thinking about what to do next, a lot of people could come up with the best play to make next.

The trick to being the best is you have to be able to come up with that best play completely on the fly, preferably by instinct, while also playing your own ship, and having an escape plan for the times when your current plan turns out to be bad.

On the fly situational awareness is so instinctual to me that when I'm playing solo, I often listen to podcasts in the background, and the game almost plays itself.

Edited by WilliamTheDank
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,628 battles
52 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Unicom?

Isn't that one of those European international telecoms companies?

I think the key ingredient is spelling :)

0 posts

Lickable stats.

Don't confuse great players, with unicoms, they are often the same, but not always.

tlHh3Nj.jpg

• Boring 1

Members
281 posts
4,464 battles

This is a great thread for those of us hungry to get better ………….thanks to all here!!

In the context of all these good tips  I would like to add you really need to practice a lot.  In my opinion, at my level,  you will make better practice progress in coop.  The scenarios that unfold in coop seem to encourage teams to set up with the same agenda ……… kill the robots!! There are also only 7 ships a side which makes it easier to stay aware of the traffic. A higher percentage of ships have a discernible  behavior. On the other hand Radom is just a mess these days. You are really on your own and the most outrageous behaviour ensues. Because there is no consistency of any kind it is hard to measure your progress.

My last observation is that it also takes "MONEY" If you pour a little money into it you can speed up your progress exponentially....I haven't spent any yet:Smile_coin: but I know I am about to start. 

Members
300 posts
6,969 battles

Unicom players are always 2or3 moves ahead. If they are moving around a corner they've have made a calculated assessment,whereas your average player would move just around the corner with out any planning or foresight. 

[--K--]
Beta Testers
994 posts
11,339 battles

Good at prioritization, most people lump this into situational awareness but it really is its own thing. This is things like knowing which ship is the biggest threat to your team's win` (sometimes this is your own teammates where they flip point leads by dying). Being good at prioritization also means you constantly update your priorities based on inputs from your situational awareness. Chasing down and finishing off a 50 hp DD is pretty important, but probably not important enough to keep chasing if he is kiting you out to A1 for 3 minutes.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,684 posts
12,778 battles

It's the size of your hands

but no, really, it's knowledge, strategy and reflexes

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
129 posts
4,724 battles

Most people start off with maybe 40% WR. 
Unicum however, when you look at their WR progression doesn't have that, they start off already at 50%. A lot of times it's that crucial beginning baggage that separates the unicum from the merely good and average.