BoJohno

Where's the line?

15 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
Members
407 posts
3,202 battles

So I'm approaching the illustrious 1000 battle mark. I mostly play co-op because, well, I suck at random. Statistically I should have accidentally had more success than I do. Watched the videos, asked advice, etc. I'm not jumping into high tier randoms, and I'm mostly sticking to cruisers as they seem more forgiving to learn on in lower level randoms. Nope, still suck. So my question is at what point should I decide I just don't have the skills necessary to compete against actual players? I would like to be competitive at some point but as I routinely get beat like I owe them money, it's seeming less and less likely that's going to happen.

[TWFT]
Members
1,285 posts
35,810 battles

Join a clan.  Find one that will take new players under there wing, you will learn a lot from others.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,082 posts
6,720 battles
1 minute ago, Turbotush said:

Join a clan.  Find one that will take new players under there wing, you will learn a lot from others.

Yeah that helps. Also just have some fun this is game and should be fun don’t freak out over stats

[TWFT]
Members
1,285 posts
35,810 battles
Just now, Lonewolfpj said:

Yeah that helps. Also just have some fun this is game and should be fun don’t freak out over stats

^^ This ^^

[SYN]
Members
8,205 posts
13,768 battles

Can't learn the game if you don't play it. Coop is garbage, the bots are so easy and don't play like humans, matches play out completely differently/ If you wanna get better play randoms. T4 has great MM, great place to play and play and play till you get it. I probably had 1000 pvp matches before this game really started to click for me.

[WOLFD]
Members
407 posts
3,202 battles
4 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

I don't care a bit about stats, and I do usually enjoy the game. But progression in co-op is horribly slow and I'm pretty sure at the rate I'm going in random even if I turned coward and hid I'd just get hit with a meteor. I have asked advice, and I'm doing my best to follow it. I could soothe my ego and blame clubbers, but surely they aren't in ever low tier match. Maybe it's my fragile submariner ego. I should be able to kill any skimmer without them even knowing I'm there lol. 

In any case I just don't think I have it in me to be competitive vs. real players. Some people just aren't that good and I'm starting to think I need a bullseye paint job.

[O-PN]
Members
9,125 posts
10,593 battles
1 hour ago, BoJohno said:

So I'm approaching the illustrious 1000 battle mark. I mostly play co-op because, well, I suck at random. Statistically I should have accidentally had more success than I do. Watched the videos, asked advice, etc. I'm not jumping into high tier randoms, and I'm mostly sticking to cruisers as they seem more forgiving to learn on in lower level randoms. Nope, still suck. So my question is at what point should I decide I just don't have the skills necessary to compete against actual players? I would like to be competitive at some point but as I routinely get beat like I owe them money, it's seeming less and less likely that's going to happen.

Join a clan, you'll have people with experience to learn from and div with.

At the least, div with players better than yourself, most of us are quite willing to help others learn to play better. :  )

[WOLFD]
Members
407 posts
3,202 battles
1 minute ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Join a clan, you'll have people with experience to learn from and div with.

At the least, div with players better than yourself, most of us are quite willing to help others learn to play better. :  )

Yeah, I've been checking the recruiting page. I'd like to make sure I'm actually back to stay before I commit. I was in a clan when I first started but we had a bit of a difference of opinion so I voluntarily left. If I decide I'm back for good I'll start looking for a clan, but I don't have the tier ships required to join up with the higher end players......which are the ones I need to learn from. Oh well. Enough beer should make even grinding co-op bearable.

Members
3,303 posts
6,679 battles

No matter of you play Co-Op or Random - play back your replays...watch yourself and see what your doing....and how are you positioning yourself.  You need to recognize the threat before it recognizes you.  You need to hold back and not get yourself into the enemy FOCUS mode as when that happens...its ends real quick!   Its going to fundamentally change in the way you play but then again it makes you more understanding of the changing circumstances which change sometimes as you don't even see it until its too late.   It's not easy all the time but trust me...if you change your habits almost always your survivability rate will go up.  As you stated..you think you have a bulls eye target on your back..well thats because you revealed yourself and made yourself one.  Try this..play the game and see the detection circle?...try to keep ALL enemy ships from entering it by you navigating AWAY so they don't detect it. Sure some spotter plane will show up and also a DD will pop up but remember where the DD was...as a cruiser...seek that target but be wary of other ships not detected.  You may hardly get any damages but thats all right...the main thing is to survive even if your at the bottom of the scoreboard. As you get better at concealment and avoidance..you will fire on more ships to get damages as long as they are not a threat and delete you when your fully broadside..thats what kills cruisers.  But anyways...you have to change your mind set on how to play as it ain't working but I know you can make it work.  Just observing yourself will reveal a lot of the mistakes one makes.

Edited by dionkraft

[WOLFD]
Members
407 posts
3,202 battles
7 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

No matter of you play Co-Op or Random - play back your replays...watch yourself and see what your doing....and how are you positioning yourself.  You need to recognize the threat before it recognizes you.  You need to hold back and not get yourself into the enemy FOCUS mode as when that happens...its ends real quick!   Its going to fundamentally change in the way you play but then again it makes you more understanding of the changing circumstances which change sometimes as you don't even see it until its too late.   It's not easy all the time but trust me...if you change your habits almost always your survivability rate will go up.  As you stated..you think you have a bulls eye target on your back..well thats because you revealed yourself and made yourself one.  Try this..play the game and see the detection circle?...try to keep ALL enemy ships from entering it by you navigating AWAY so they don't detect it. Sure some spotter plane will show up and also a DD will pop up but remember where the DD was...as a cruiser...seek that target but be wary of other ships not detected.  You may hardly get any damages but thats all right...the main thing is to survive even if your at the bottom of the scoreboard. As you get better at concealment and avoidance..you will fire on more ships to get damages as long as they are not a threat and delete you when your fully broadside..thats what kills cruisers.  But anyways...you have to change your mind set on how to play as it ain't working but I know you can make it work.  Just observing yourself will reveal a lot of the mistakes one makes.

I see what you're saying, but I find if I hang back I'm not an effective member of the team. I honestly don't care if I ever survive a battle as long as I can say I did my part. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but when I see my DD's going in to cap or scout, I feel it's my job to support them. And while your advice on watching replays is sound, you have to be able to recognize a mistake before you can work to correct it. Meh. I'll stick to the low tiers until it gets too frustrating and then beat on some bots. thanks for the advice though. It's appreciated.

Members
3,303 posts
6,679 battles
2 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

I see what you're saying, but I find if I hang back I'm not an effective member of the team. I honestly don't care if I ever survive a battle as long as I can say I did my part. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but when I see my DD's going in to cap or scout, I feel it's my job to support them. And while your advice on watching replays is sound, you have to be able to recognize a mistake before you can work to correct it. Meh. I'll stick to the low tiers until it gets too frustrating and then beat on some bots. thanks for the advice though. It's appreciated.

Well, you can be an effective member of your team but your of no use if you cannot survive to be effective.   There are times you will see your ships charging in and then you see their going into a group which is going to slaughter them just from sheer force. Time to retreat and reposition...no shame in that. Since we cannot respawn you have to value your one life per game and value it.  basically this...you have to know when to fight and when to back off...As for supporting DD's yeah..but you cannot charge in blindly as when the enemy group shows up...ask yourself..can we overcome them??  If they look overwhelming...time to retreat and reposition.  As I said - look at the replays especially the mini-map or tactical.  You will be able to see the changing battlescape of enemy ships which position themselves as you get focused in on other areas.  But anyways...it takes time and I wish you the best.  AND Happy Holidays as WELL! 

[WOLFD]
Members
407 posts
3,202 battles

I tried couple more and I honestly don't think I have the ability to git gud at random. Botfest till boredom I guess. Merry Christmas to you too and thanks again for the advice.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,826 posts
11,232 battles

Simply put - pick a line, tier 3 or 4, and just keep playing randoms. The bots are good to get a feel, and learn some very basic things, but you won't learn much. And this week in particular, yeah, you have more of us long time players dusting off tier 2-4 premiums we've not used in a while cause of the snowflakes. And all the new Charlestons. Your not going to do well the first 10, 20, maybe even 1000 matches - but keep trying. Cause us players are radically different than the bots and you just have to learn how to deal with an enemy that knows angling or how to switch ammo, possibly having a 19 point commander and all. 

[WOLFD]
Members
407 posts
3,202 battles
5 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Simply put - pick a line, tier 3 or 4, and just keep playing randoms. The bots are good to get a feel, and learn some very basic things, but you won't learn much. And this week in particular, yeah, you have more of us long time players dusting off tier 2-4 premiums we've not used in a while cause of the snowflakes. And all the new Charlestons. Your not going to do well the first 10, 20, maybe even 1000 matches - but keep trying. Cause us players are radically different than the bots and you just have to learn how to deal with an enemy that knows angling or how to switch ammo, possibly having a 19 point commander and all. 

I'm probably going to shelf the game for another 2 or 3 months and come back once I lose my sanity again. This may sound like I'm butthurt (and maybe I am a little) but this is the type of game I like and I really, REALLY wanted to enjoy it. But I don't. I honestly don't see how this is even a successful business model. This game is not geared towards co-op players. You can't get most of the rewards, and progression is absurdly slow. That's fine, they want people to interact. But there are no mid level players. There are noobs, and there are experienced players. There is nothing that prepares a new player for PvP. Every tier  is ripe with clubbers farming free XP in their premiums. So noobs get frustrated and quit so they never progress to even mid level players. I do understand this isn't just a "pew pew' game, and time needs to be put in before skills increase. But I'm about to hit the 1K battle mark and I'm still completely schooled in any type of PvP match. Maybe I'm just not able to grasp the various strategies required. But I've also had others say they they had to play over 1000 battles before they got the hang of things. In this ADD world we live in who the hell is going to hang around for 1k battle so they can only moderately suck? (apparently me, but like I said, I really wanted to enjoy the game)

There needs to be a gradual increase in difficulty. As it stands, you go from clubbing bots to thrown in the shark tank. You need to face challenges to improve, but being blotted from existence without a hint of a chance just breeds frustration. I even tried to go as low as I could in random. And go figure, there was a guy in his T2 premium DD dodging everything to the point he might as well been teleporting. Pretty much cleared the map. That is not a learning experience, it's farming. 

Anyway, there was my butt hurt rant for the evening. I'll probably be back with another one in a month or two when I forget how lopsided this game is towards new player progression and get curb stomped for a couple hours.

[O-PN]
Members
9,125 posts
10,593 battles
3 hours ago, BoJohno said:

Yeah, I've been checking the recruiting page. I'd like to make sure I'm actually back to stay before I commit. I was in a clan when I first started but we had a bit of a difference of opinion so I voluntarily left. If I decide I'm back for good I'll start looking for a clan, but I don't have the tier ships required to join up with the higher end players......which are the ones I need to learn from. Oh well. Enough beer should make even grinding co-op bearable.

YOu dont need to join a clan of super unicums, man, just having others to play with will help a great deal.