You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UEG_PATRIOT

Should I get Salem?

26 comments in this topic

[_RNG_]
Members
119 posts
5,851 battles

So as of today I have enough to get the Salem in the arsenal. I have a little under 130k coal and I'm still collecting steel(should have a little over 10.5k when I'm done). I'm looking for personal opinions if I should get her or not, or keep saving the steel for something later down the line. I just got Des Moines and I love her too to add that in.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,565 posts
5,009 battles

If you already have DM....and are using steel to cover the coal.....I'd say no. Remember the Salem is a reward ship, not a true premium so doesn't have the credit gains so bleeds credits just like the DM will. I don't have DM or Salem but apparently playstyle and capability is the same. Many players would also advise against using steel as a coal converter as you just don't know what is coming.

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
9 minutes ago, UEG_PATRIOT said:

So as of today I have enough to get the Salem in the arsenal. I have a little under 130k coal and I'm still collecting steel(should have a little over 10.5k when I'm done). I'm looking for personal opinions if I should get her or not, or keep saving the steel for something later down the line. I just got Des Moines and I love her too to add that in.

I want to piggyback your question because I'm in a similar place.  I own the Musashi and don't need that.  I have enough coal for the Jean Bart or the Salem.  I like the Richelieu a lot, own an Indianapolis, enjoy the Cleveland, and have 1.5m FreeXP.  My thought is that I'd rather have the Salem than the Alaska, but when the Alaska shows up will the Jean Bart be available for Free XP?  If so I will Free XP the Jean Bart and Coal the Salem.  My best option is to just wait, huh?

8 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

If you already have DM....and are using steel to cover the coal.....I'd say no. Remember the Salem is a reward ship, not a true premium so doesn't have the credit gains so bleeds credits just like the DM will. I don't have DM or Salem but apparently playstyle and capability is the same. Many players would also advise against using steel as a coal converter as you just don't know what is coming.

The Salem does have that -%50 cost on it so it's only 45K to run instead of the regular 90K like other ships.  So, it is better economically than the Des Moines with that.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,193 posts
14,169 battles
13 minutes ago, UEG_PATRIOT said:

Congratulations! I'm working on mine as well. I like roughly 50K on coal. Waiting on ship coupon and what ever else I can scrounge up for it. I got the Musashi, next the Salem.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,781 posts
25,453 battles

I would rather use the stell for steel ships.

Reason? It's harder to get then coal.

The Salem has a different playstyle. You exchange good radar against super heals. A

Also: the DM has a legendary module that's considered good. There is no information if and what kind of module the Salem will get.

She may is a deal if you don't earned the DM camo from the USN cruiser split event. 

You want to know more?

[4HIM]
Members
2,910 posts
11,281 battles
16 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

If you already have DM....and are using steel to cover the coal.....I'd say no. Remember the Salem is a reward ship, not a true premium so doesn't have the credit gains so bleeds credits just like the DM will.

Not really.  With the perma-camo that comes with it, you can play Salem in co-op and still make a profit.  I enjoy the Salem.  Don't have the DM yet, but should soonTM.  It's WAY more enjoyable to play than the Buffalo Chip.  

[ARGSY]
6,781 posts
25,453 battles
4 minutes ago, galspanic said:

I want to piggyback your question because I'm in a similar place.  I own the Musashi and don't need that.  I have enough coal for the Jean Bart or the Salem.  I like the Richelieu a lot, own an Indianapolis, enjoy the Cleveland, and have 1.5m FreeXP.  My thought is that I'd rather have the Salem than the Alaska, but when the Alaska shows up will the Jean Bart be available for Free XP?  If so I will Free XP the Jean Bart and Coal the Salem.  My best option is to just wait, huh?

The Salem does have that -%50 cost on it so it's only 45K to run instead of the regular 90K like other ships.  So, it is better economically than the Des Moines with that.

I wouldn't bet that the JB will be added for free XP. The Alaska will be the follow up ship for free XP, already confirmed.

I bought the JB for coal and I'm already 35k coal short of the Salem. I used my coupon on a steel ship but have still 110 coal snowflakes left on ships. And have enough time after Tuesday to do both ranked sprint events. That should give me enough to buy her for 240k. 

[WOLF6]
Members
1,565 posts
5,009 battles

Yes forgot about perma camo. Though would you really burn steel to get a Salem when you have a DM?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,453 posts
35 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

If you got the camo during the recent event the DM or Salem will print credits just fine. I really don't see the benefit in getting the Salem though if you already have the Des Moines. The reason to get the Salem is so that you don't have to grind up the USN heavy cruiser tech tree to the Des Moines.

[_RNG_]
Members
119 posts
5,851 battles
10 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

Yes forgot about perma camo. Though would you really burn steel to get a Salem when you have a DM?

I don't plan on playing clan wars anytime soon to get enough for stalingrad or bourgoune, and the flint and black dont appeal to me very much, so the steel is really just convertable coal to me.

Edited by UEG_PATRIOT

[ARGSY]
6,781 posts
25,453 battles
3 minutes ago, UEG_PATRIOT said:

I don't plan on playing clan wars anytime soon to get enough for stalingrad or bourgoune, and the flint and black done appeal to me very much, so the steel is really just convertable coal to me.

Regular ranked will earn you steel too. It's rather a longtime invest.

There are enough coal events, I earned 390k since they added it to the game.

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,724 posts

No, you should get a well-paying career and a family that loves you!

• Funny 1

[_RNG_]
Members
119 posts
5,851 battles
1 minute ago, Erebthoron said:

Regular ranked will earn you steel too. It's rather a longtime invest.

There are enough coal events, I earned 390k since they added it to the game.

The problem here is that regular ranked has been put on the back burner for right now in favor of the sprint format, and that only rewards more coal. 

[ARGSY]
6,781 posts
25,453 battles
2 minutes ago, UEG_PATRIOT said:

The problem here is that regular ranked has been put on the back burner for right now in favor of the sprint format, and that only rewards more coal. 

Next ranked will come with patch 8.0. 

I think sprint is a filler to keep players busy if they are not doing clan wars.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,565 posts
5,009 battles
8 minutes ago, UEG_PATRIOT said:

I don't plan on playing clan wars anytime soon to get enough for stalingrad or bourgoune, and the flint and black dont appeal to me very much, so the steel is really just convertable coal to me.

Yeah Flint is maybe on par with Atlanta so prob not worth it. Black is a formidable ship if you like DDs. So is it very likely that the new steel ship is the Azuma?

[ARGSY]
6,781 posts
25,453 battles
1 minute ago, Sumseaman said:

Yeah Flint is maybe on par with Atlanta so prob not worth it. Black is a formidable ship if you like DDs. So is it very likely that the new steel ship is the Azuma?

Flint is a bit of different playstyle then the Atlanta. USN DD Smoke+Benson torps vs. radar and some extra daka daka. To add carnage, div up with a Atlanta and a Belfast.

I got my Black earlier and she is fun. 

There is only speculation about the Azuma currency. Some (hope) she will be a coal alternative to the Salem since another steel ships was already added. 

[_RNG_]
Members
119 posts
5,851 battles
22 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

There is only speculation about the Azuma currency. Some (hope) she will be a coal alternative to the Salem since another steel ships was already added. 

This is why I wish wargaming would tell us in advance what new reward ships will be purchased with. If they said azuma would be bought with coal, I would save for that instead, but they are as tightlipped as possible.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,894 posts
33,926 battles

I would get Jean Bart long before Salem.  JB is fast and that main battery Reload Booster is a blast. AA is quite good  

I did get Salem last week, primarily to use my discount coupon before the rollover yesterday. The Super heal is really attractive. However, 8.5 km radar is almost bad enough to take hydro. Honestly, I’ve taken a while to develop my Des Moines play to the point where it’s fun most of the time. 

Save your steel!  It’s a limited resource and you never know when WG will release THAT ship you simply must have. 

[_RNG_]
Members
119 posts
5,851 battles
24 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I would get Jean Bart long before Salem.  JB is fast and that main battery Reload Booster is a blast. AA is quite good  

I did get Salem last week, primarily to use my discount coupon before the rollover yesterday. The Super heal is really attractive. However, 8.5 km radar is almost bad enough to take hydro. Honestly, I’ve taken a while to develop my Des Moines play to the point where it’s fun most of the time. 

Save your steel!  It’s a limited resource and you never know when WG will release THAT ship you simply must have. 

Already have Jean bart. Got it with that 30% off coupon wargaming handed out for anniversaries.

[90TH]
Members
1,147 posts
10,773 battles
1 hour ago, Sumseaman said:

Yeah Flint is maybe on par with Atlanta

Atlanta + smoke = OP

I hate the Flint so much I need to get one

[RLGN]
Members
13,535 posts
23,666 battles
2 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Not really.  With the perma-camo that comes with it, you can play Salem in co-op and still make a profit.  I enjoy the Salem.  Don't have the DM yet, but should soonTM.  It's WAY more enjoyable to play than the Buffalo Chip.  

I actually do better in Buffalo than DM; I may be a matter of confidence. Buffalo I believe in; for me DM has never been anything but an xp piñata for the Reds.

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

If you got the camo during the recent event the DM or Salem will print credits just fine. I really don't see the benefit in getting the Salem though if you already have the Des Moines. The reason to get the Salem is so that you don't have to grind up the USN heavy cruiser tech tree to the Des Moines.

I’ll get Salem for no more complex reason than I’ve actually been to see the ship in Quincy, MA.

28 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I used my coupon on Charleston; a variant of a ship I have had fun with, (St Louis,) as opposed to one I already have, (DM,) and haven’t had fun with.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
4,095 posts
11,497 battles

I think that the only reason to convert steel right now would be to get the Musashi before she disappears.  There will plenty of time to get the Salem through earning more coal, but earning steel without doing Clan Wars will be extremely difficult.  You should hold onto your steel - you can always earn coal, it is a renewable resource for everyone.

The Salem has no problem earning credits, even in PvE.  With the PvE reduction for Premium ships, I usually don't even use the perma-camo in order to grind other types of bonuses and still make credits just fine.  The ability to push with her due to the heal and small improvement in the front bulkhead makes a welcome break from having to hang around islands.

Low performance PvE running a lot of flags, first screen:

Spoiler

qglocfz.jpg

Low performance PvE running a lot of flags, economic screen:

Spoiler

rnadk4Y.jpg

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles
26 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I actually do better in Buffalo than DM; I may be a matter of confidence. Buffalo I believe in; for me DM has never been anything but an xp piñata for the Reds.

Buffalo with it's heavy broadside and 50/50 turret layout can kite effectively and be more of a sneaky sniper ambush ship. Also people will tend to over look you if bigger threats are around.

The DM does not kite effectively and it's armor layout is [edited]trash unlike the Baltimore which has a lower citadel. As soon as you get spotted in a DM everyone is looking to shoot at you. So you have be very patient, try to stay safe until late game. Then you control the outcome of the match generally. Out of all the ships I've played DM is the most challenging at times but by far the most dominate ship in the game when you get it right.

@ OP I would get the Salem if you like the DM.

Edited by Stand_Alone97

Members
6,281 posts
19,827 battles
3 hours ago, UEG_PATRIOT said:

I was in the same boat last night...pardon the pun. I got the Salem, used coal and steel. Its a Des Moines with a better heal worse radar. Is it worth the resources if you have the Des Moines... probably not. I have all the ships and like US cruisers so I got it. the mega heal is cool ….but I would look at other alternatives if your port isn't full.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,348 posts

Well... I'd hold on to the steel - you never know.  The Salem isn't going anywhere any time soon so you have time to run dailies and open chests to get coal.  Save your steel.