Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Raigoth

Little help?

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

225
[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
715 posts

SO!

I have a choice to make. I almost have enough coal for the Salem and almost have enough FXP for the Musashi or the Kron.

With the Alaska coming out soon, I am wondering if I should either:

A) Buy the Musashi with coal and get the Kron with the FXP

or

B) Wait to get the Salem and buy it with coal, and the Alaska with FXP when it is released.

I do play a lot of BB's (Have almost all the tier 10's unlocked) but do play cruisers and DD's when I am able to so I dont think I really "Main" a type of ship, even though BB's are my favorite.

Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,495
[ARGSY]
Members
18,281 posts
12,732 battles
3 minutes ago, Raigoth said:

I do play a lot of BB's (Have almost all the tier 10's unlocked)

My two cents' worth:

Do you have the Yamato unlocked? If so, you need to ask yourself how badly you want her premium sister at Tier 9.

The Salem is attractive to me as her service costs are stupidly cheap compared to other Tier 10 ships. As soon as I have both my new ship coupon and enough coal, she's mine. Do running costs matter? Then Salem may be for you, even if you already have Des Moines.

How badly do your Russian cruisers need a big brother to keep them company? The answer to this will determine the eagerness with which you approach Kronshtadt.

When I was making the decision for Musashi vs. Kronshtadt, I told myself, "I already have Scharnhorst; what is Kronshtadt, basically, but Scharnhorst at Tier 9 with immunity to Asashio torps?" For me, she was too close in many ways to something I already had, with quite a few downsides insofar as my play-style is concerned, and I saw no reason to spend 750K FXP on her.

Musashi is a completely different animal; she brought something to my lineup that I didn't yet have, and though I haven't done much more than dabble in co-op with her, I find her comfortable and a lot of fun.

Odd as it may sound, I have no interest in Alaska. Yet another heavy cruiser with nine major-calibre guns in A-B-X three-gun turrets. Alaska, Kronshtadt, Stalingrad, Azuma... why sweat blood for any of them at Tier 9 or 10 when I already have what they represent at Tier 7? Your mileage may vary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225
[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
715 posts
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My two cents' worth:

Do you have the Yamato unlocked? If so, you need to ask yourself how badly you want her premium sister at Tier 9.

The Salem is attractive to me as her service costs are stupidly cheap compared to other Tier 10 ships. As soon as I have both my new ship coupon and enough coal, she's mine. Do running costs matter? Then Salem may be for you, even if you already have Des Moines.

How badly do your Russian cruisers need a big brother to keep them company? The answer to this will determine the eagerness with which you approach Kronshtadt.

When I was making the decision for Musashi vs. Kronshtadt, I told myself, "I already have Scharnhorst; what is Kronshtadt, basically, but Scharnhorst at Tier 9 with immunity to Asashio torps?" For me, she was too close in many ways to something I already had, with quite a few downsides insofar as my play-style is concerned, and I saw no reason to spend 750K FXP on her.

Musashi is a completely different animal; she brought something to my lineup that I didn't yet have, and though I haven't done much more than dabble in co-op with her, I find her comfortable and a lot of fun.

Odd as it may sound, I have no interest in Alaska. Yet another heavy cruiser with nine major-calibre guns in A-B-X three-gun turrets. Alaska, Kronshtadt, Stalingrad, Azuma... why sweat blood for any of them at Tier 9 or 10 when I already have what they represent at Tier 7? Your mileage may vary.

I do have the Yamato unlocked yes. Also, I have a distinct lack of Russian cruisers in my port. However, I do not play ships to get captains trained or really to gain XP or credits, I play the ships to find out which ones I enjoy the most. If its in the tech tree, I play the ones I dont like until I get to one that I do. I keep that one, then move up the tree, keeping all the ones I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,751
[SYN]
Members
15,688 posts
12,778 battles

Kron is really only useful in a BB light, cruiser heavy environment

Musashi is always useful (aka it's OP)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225
[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
715 posts
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

Kron is really only useful in a BB light, cruiser heavy environment

Musashi is always useful (aka it's OP)

Unless going against air attacks ive heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,440
[KWF]
Members
4,039 posts
6,189 battles

Don't buy into the "it's going away so I must have it hype", especially about Kron. 

As for Musashi keep in mind that in 0.8 CV rework will go live. This will mean more CVs will be played for a while, further pronouncing Musashi's glaring weakness.

Do you have Jean Bart? Maybe she would be a better choice for you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
692
[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,402 battles

My 2 cents

 

I FXP the Musashi before it was available for coal and before the Kron was available. I did not have the Yamato at that time.

I used the Musashi to train up my Yamamoto captain and was able to then put a decent pt captain on Yamato when I unlocked it. Eventually in trading Yamamoto back and forth between the two, I got a 19pt captain. Now I'm using Musashi to train up my other IJN BB-captains.

 

The Kron isn't a bad ship. It's decent. It has Russian AP, but it doesn't quite delete ships like Musashi can.

 

I also have the Salem. She spends time training up my Des Moines and Worchester captains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225
[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
715 posts
35 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Don't buy into the "it's going away so I must have it hype", especially about Kron. 

As for Musashi keep in mind that in 0.8 CV rework will go live. This will mean more CVs will be played for a while, further pronouncing Musashi's glaring weakness.

Do you have Jean Bart? Maybe she would be a better choice for you.

 

I do.

This is just one of the many good games ive had in her.

Flags.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,495
[ARGSY]
Members
18,281 posts
12,732 battles
1 hour ago, Raigoth said:

However, I do not play ships to get captains trained or really to gain XP or credits, I play the ships to find out which ones I enjoy the most.

Fair enough. However, for me, 750K XP was too big a gamble to take to find out whether or not I would like Kronshtadt. Conversely, I had tried Yamato out in Public Test before acquiring Musashi, and although there are clear differences between the two, the points of similarity were still enough to make me want Musashi. The fact that I can play her in co-op and not have her suck my stocks of silver dry if I do badly is a HUGE benefit over her tech-tree counterpart (I have a tech-tree T9 ship and even a middling co-op game can be a money loser), and for the moment it takes away any pressure I have to grind up the IJN BB line in a hurry.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,277 posts
19,822 battles

choice like this for me are about the captain I can share:

The Musashi can share a captain with all IJN BB's including prems like Mutsu Ashitaka the KII and the tier 4. 

Waiting on the Alaska... can share with the Indy and Des Moines

Kron, the Moskva, most other RU cruisers are IFHE and the build wouldn't work as well.

 

I would use the FXP on the Alaska since it has been hyped for so long I would be shocked if it was a dud. Coal. your choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,523
[SYN]
Members
8,217 posts
13,788 battles

Salem is a worse DM, Mushy is a worse Yammy, both are an easy pass.

Kron is more unique at least, Alaska will be around for awhile (we still don't know when its going to be released) so you can always just earn another million fxp for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,201
[WORX]
Members
9,670 posts
17,623 battles

How about don;t buy anything. No need to spend on anything,  IF you like playing the Ark Beta, then  any BB at tier 10 will work fine for you. Any tier 10 BB vs tier 10 cruisers is like Ark Beta vs tier 4 and 5 cruisers.

If your not a cruiser player, then stick to your BB plans. As long as you know your play style ( I don't), play he class ship you love to play.

IF you buy a ship just to not play it, then its an expensive port queen piece for your collection. The choice is ultimately yours.

GL/HF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,988
[PVE]
Members
3,818 posts
16,329 battles

Too many choices lead to action paralysis and stunt you growth in-game.....  Find what you love to do and make that what makes your choices work....... 

What do you really enjoy and focus on that.....  For me, that is a different nation's ship at each level and I don't own more than 36 ships....there is no reason to unless you are a collector...or, need ships of specific types that are based on existing scenarios...  What you enjoy the most is what should drive you and go from there and get rid of the rest........there is no reason to have ships you never play............

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[A-D-F]
Members
2,032 posts
7,286 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Fair enough. However, for me, 750K XP was too big a gamble to take to find out whether or not I would like Kronshtadt. Conversely, I had tried Yamato out in Public Test before acquiring Musashi, and although there are clear differences between the two, the points of similarity were still enough to make me want Musashi. The fact that I can play her in co-op and not have her suck my stocks of silver dry if I do badly is a HUGE benefit over her tech-tree counterpart (I have a tech-tree T9 ship and even a middling co-op game can be a money loser), and for the moment it takes away any pressure I have to grind up the IJN BB line in a hurry.

I agree.  The financial difference between the Musashi and the Frederick the Great really hit me hard.  FtG barely earns on a good game and it's tough enough for BB's in co-op anyway.  If you are co-op centric and want to play a high tier BB, it better be a premium ship.  Musashi has a low skill floor and earns well.

In a Musashi vs. Kronstadt debate, I would have to take Musashi.  Her guns are much more reliable.  My issues with the AP overpen/bounce in the Kronstadt are legendary.  I just can not get her guns to perform well for me.  She doesn't average any better damage per game than any other tier 7 or 8 cruiser.  I never had these kinds of problems with the HSF Graf Spee.  The Spee would pen broadsiding cruisers like you think she should.  Kronstadt just doesn't  I guess I am saying that the skills required to make the Kronstadt as powerful as she can be are beyond me.  Musashi, on the other hand, will absolutely wreck face even in my "less than skilled" hands.

I used free xp on Kronstadt and coal/coupon on Musashi.  I am concerned about Alaska.  She may just be another Kronstadt for me but what else am I gonna spend the million free xp on?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,495
[ARGSY]
Members
18,281 posts
12,732 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

what else am I gonna spend the million free xp on?

Wait until we know what Azuma is going to be released as. I'm hoping that new "soon" steel ship is Neustrashimy, although if I were WG I would troll everyone by briefly putting in one of the Black Swan's sister ships in her original AP-only form as a Tier 1 premium cruiser on April 1... and charge 50,000 steel for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[A-D-F]
Members
2,032 posts
7,286 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Wait until we know what Azuma is going to be released as. I'm hoping that new "soon" steel ship is Neustrashimy, although if I were WG I would troll everyone by briefly putting in one of the Black Swan's sister ships in her original AP-only form as a Tier 1 premium cruiser on April 1... and charge 50,000 steel for her.

Oh, that would be nice.  I would snap Azuma up PDQ and not think twice.

Premium Black Swan!  I'd go there, too!  I still have mine.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,495
[ARGSY]
Members
18,281 posts
12,732 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Premium Black Swan!  I'd go there, too!  I still have mine.

I bought my Black Swan and Emerald (yeah, I'm weird) back three times that I can remember, ditched them when I ran out of port slots, bought them back once more when I decided screw it, port slots are worth paying for to keep sentimental old favourites. I miss the AP, but even HE Black Swan is good because she only has to stick her bow out to get two twin turrets on target.

As soon as I have Dreadnought in port, I'm going to stop giving a damn what tiers I play. I've had a year where I've played for everything that wasn't nailed down and got almost all of it, and now I need a year where I play whatever ships I want regardless of what's going on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,299
[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

IMO get Musashi and Kron if you can, both are great ships and worth it. Also they are leaving, this might be your last chance to get them. You can always farm more Free XP and coal and get Alaska and Salem later.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225
[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
715 posts
On 12/24/2018 at 12:39 PM, Xlap said:

IMO get Musashi and Kron if you can, both are great ships and worth it. Also they are leaving, this might be your last chance to get them. You can always farm more Free XP and coal and get Alaska and Salem later.

 

 

Coal is hard for me to get though...its taken me a few months to get the amount needed for the Musashi, and thats with the discount coupon. I only play a couple of battles a day, if that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×