Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Botty the Bot Bote

7 comments in this topic

0 posts

Can also be a slow load, or afk eating pizza player. Scripted ai will move the ship around the map, border hugging, rather than afk. The problem with detecting bots vs bad gameplay, is that humans can actually be worse than clumsy AI scripts. There are also some dedicated players who potatoe after a long day at work, after a few beers, on bottom of the barrel pc hardware and rural hamster powered internet connections. Not bad people, just bad gameplay. 

Your screenshot of chat proves nothing at all. A replay on the other hand, sent to support, would be more useful.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

Can also be a slow load, or afk eating pizza player. Scripted ai will move the ship around the map, border hugging, rather than afk. The problem with detecting bots vs bad gameplay, is that humans can actually be worse than clumsy AI scripts. There are also some dedicated players who potatoe after a long day at work, after a few beers, on bottom of the barrel pc hardware and rural hamster powered internet connections. Not bad people, just bad gameplay. 

Your screenshot of chat proves nothing at all. A replay on the other hand, sent to support, would be more useful.

The problem with a replay is that you can see the "player's" name and it might be construed as "naming and shaming." However, I guess since it's not on the forum itself and you don't really have to look at it then it wouldn't be against the rules. Watch the BBs I've spotted after we capture C and start heading off toward B.

Edited by Snargfargle

0 posts
35 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The problem with a replay is that you can see the "player's" name and it might be construed as "naming and shaming." However, I guess since it's not on the forum itself and you don't really have to look at it then it wouldn't be against the rules. Watch the BBs I've spotted after we capture C and start heading off toward B.

{...]

sending and sharing screenshots and replays in private, with whoever you like, including support, is not naming and shaming, and never has been :Smile_glasses: But posting replays and screenshots that display a person's name with intent to incriminate them, is. Best remove the replay from the public forums.

Hey, this is Christmas Eve, (not that I celebrate it, internet cats are either athiests or devil worshippers), let it go.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,102 posts
12,562 battles
2 hours ago, LoveBote said:

Your screenshot of chat proves nothing at all.

He's not trying to prove anything; he's trying to describe scriptbot behaviour so others know how to spot it.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,452 posts
39 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

He's not trying to prove anything; he's trying to describe scriptbot behaviour so others know how to spot it.

I'm sure that others have noticed this bot behavior before. I can think of more than a dozen times where I've seen a ship sitting AFK half the battle, only to start moving when attacked. These bots also will start moving if you get close enough to them for their secondaries to start firing. Of course, a truly AFK player's ship will just sit there, even if its secondaries are firing.

Other bot behavior includes a ship that immediately starts backing up from the spawn until it hits the map edge, upon which time it starts sliding across it until it ends up in a corner. 

Once, a bot just started sailing in a straight line across the map.  Amazingly, it sailed right through a cap, capping it, and then right through the enemy team, who for some reason didn't sink it. It ended up at the far end of the map in a corner.

Then, I saw the bot that just spun around in a tight circle in the spawn  area all game.

I suppose that by moving, the bots don't get counted as AFK, no matter if they contribute to the team or not.

[NOBS]
Members
1,121 posts
8,277 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

How can you tell if a "player" is a bot? Well, this is one bot-type behavior.

shot-18_12.24_03_28.26-0244.jpg.cd1e3e29b1cf81067b474d77fb798fec.jpg

Ran into a CV yesterday, did nothing for 17 minutes, as soon as it got hit, it started moving and launched planes but never attacked anyone

Sign in to follow this