You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Merlox

Arsenal Buy - Flint or Black?

37 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
832 posts
5,091 battles

Hey Guys, with the current steel event, I've finally hit not only the flint, but Black with the coupon. (I get a ship coupon in like 2 hours.) 
What do you guys think is more worth it? I love tier 7, but I currently have a Belfast and an Atlanta. (I prefer Belfast) But kinda interested to see if the Flint / Atlanta become really good after the CV patch.
Black seems to have some really interesting mechanics (Radar and Smoke), but is they worth it in this meta when theirs Kitakaze the over abundance of Radar in that tier? 

Thanks for any advice / recommendations you guys can spare.

[SIDE]
Members
832 posts
5,091 battles
Just now, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

I'm getting both of them. But, that's just me.

I can only afford one or the other sadly. =(

Members
679 posts
21 minutes ago, Merlox said:

I can only afford one or the other sadly. =(

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm weighing the options based on captain skills, since I have a 19 pt Gearing captain that I'll use to train up other US DD captains. Not sure which is the better option.

[5IN]
Beta Testers
40 posts
10,748 battles

I'm planning on the Black myself. Have you played your Atlanta in someone else's smoke and not used your radar? That's basically the feeling of a Flint.

[WOLF2]
Members
314 posts
17,888 battles

get black for sure, flint is a strong ship but tier 7 is no longer the sweet spot for match making

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
978 posts
8,677 battles

I'm weighing the same choice. I'm leaning towards the Black. The Fletch and Atlanta are my two most played ships (or close to it) but I feel like the Flint gameplay would get stale more quickly. 

Then again, with the CV rework coming up it may be a beast with the AA + smoke combo. 

But I'm having a hard time resisting the combo of smoke + radar+fast reloading sea mines. 

And....c'mon. Who doesn't want to have three Fletcher class DDs in their fleet. 

Members
61 posts
6,796 battles

T9 ranked coming up, Black would be a solid choice for it. Granted there will be tons of other radar at caps but for the DD engagements in mid-to-late game out in the middle, smoke+radar could be the gamebreaker.

[FML]
Members
3,656 posts
14,584 battles

I have the Flint, but not the Black.  For me, the Flint was worth it - great smoke, hilarious guns, excellent AA, troll torpedoes.  But it requires players who are used to close in fighting - in many respects, it plays less like a USN light cruiser and more like a UK CL with HE.  

I dont have a Black, so I dont know how that performs - but the slow and weak torpedoes would surely get frustrating eventually.  I would expect that a Fletcher would be better for ranked, if that was your thing.  

Your choice!

Members
176 posts
7,746 battles

If you like Atlanta and Belfast, then the Flint is an excellent choice. If you can get someone to spot for you, you can dakka dakka in places that you cannot with Atlanta. 

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles
1 hour ago, thelastholdout said:

If you like Atlanta and Belfast, then the Flint is an excellent choice. If you can get someone to spot for you, you can dakka dakka in places that you cannot with Atlanta. 

Fat fingers, ignore.

Edited by _Rumple_

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,715 posts
12,289 battles

Flint is incredibly MM, map, and team dependent from my observation. Black is much more versatile. 

That said, it depends on how good you are at DDs.

I'm going for the Black. Put in one of my 19 point captains, put Rob-Zombie "Dragula" on repeat, and have some fun.

Edited by HazardDrake
  • Cool 2

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
997 posts
13,554 battles

It was also a choice between Flint and Black in terms of how much steel I had after completing the various steel missions, but Flint was the ship I wanted the most.  Of the list of steel ships, if I were given a single choice, it was always going to be Flint.  And I'm really loving her.  While she trades her radar and 2 turrets for smoke and 9.2k torpedoes, the smoke has proven extremely useful many a time, especially where I would've been sunk if I were in Atlanta.  The other, minor factor in my selection, is her usefulness to me overall in that I can use her in Operations.  That and it's funny watching folks treat her like an Atlanta in Co-Op, only to be nipped by those 9.2k torpedoes. :cap_haloween:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,715 posts
12,289 battles
9 minutes ago, Volron said:

That and it's funny watching folks treat her like an Atlanta in Co-Op, only to be nipped by those 9.2k torpedoes. :cap_haloween:

Why are you torpedoing players in Co-Op? :cap_hmm:

• Funny 2

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
3,781 posts
5 hours ago, Merlox said:

Hey Guys, with the current steel event, I've finally hit not only the flint, but Black with the coupon. (I get a ship coupon in like 2 hours.) 
What do you guys think is more worth it? I love tier 7, but I currently have a Belfast and an Atlanta. (I prefer Belfast) But kinda interested to see if the Flint / Atlanta become really good after the CV patch.
Black seems to have some really interesting mechanics (Radar and Smoke), but is they worth it in this meta when theirs Kitakaze the over abundance of Radar in that tier? 

Thanks for any advice / recommendations you guys can spare.

Wowsers So jealous  get the  Flint 1ST:Smile_playing::cap_rambo: then the  Black

Members
15 posts
12,168 battles

I'm on the same boat. I have enough steel to get flint and black at the same time, But also have been leaning towards stalin. I know previously flint was available as a reward for ranking out 3 times which I can pull that off this next season being my third. However if she is just available via steel now I guess stalin might be a better choice for me.

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles
6 minutes ago, RS25T said:

I'm on the same boat. I have enough steel to get flint and black at the same time, But also have been leaning towards stalin. I know previously flint was available as a reward for ranking out 3 times which I can pull that off this next season being my third. However if she is just available via steel now I guess stalin might be a better choice for me.

No more ships for ranking out. You don't even get a Jolly Roger for ranking out anymore. Arsenal only.  Getting the flint soon, but if I had as much steel as you Id be shooting for the stalingrad. 

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
997 posts
13,554 battles
On 12/24/2018 at 3:37 AM, HazardDrake said:

Why are you torpedoing players in Co-Op? :cap_hmm:

It wasn't me!  Torpedoes are suppose to know friend or foe!  Even has that "Satisfaction Guaranteed!  Or your torpedo back!" stamp on it! :Smile_hiding:

11 hours ago, Rumple010 said:

I'm thinking of the Flint myself. Anyone have any experience with the ship in Operations? 

I've been running her in UF, and I'm REALLY loving her.  Her smoke has saved my tail a few times, and her long range torpedoes have definitely worked out as well.

Members
6,284 posts
19,833 battles

Jealous of your options. neither can go wrong. a smoking Atlanta seems to provide more giggle factors than I could handle. So much less radar at tier 7 (in general) than tier 9 makes me think the Flint is the stronger choice. And oh my when you get a 5-7 game......

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
11 hours ago, Rumple010 said:

I'm thinking of the Flint myself. Anyone have any experience with the ship in Operations? 

It's super good in operations. The 2 minute smoke is really useful as well as the better torps.

I honestly bought the Flint because:

• I like playing operations
  • It's hilariously fun in cancer divisions (Belfast / Atlanta / Flint is probably the best cancerous div)
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles
On 12/24/2018 at 1:28 AM, UltimateNewbie said:

I have the Flint, but not the Black.  For me, the Flint was worth it - great smoke, hilarious guns, excellent AA, troll torpedoes.  But it requires players who are used to close in fighting - in many respects, it plays less like a USN light cruiser and more like a UK CL with HE.  

I dont have a Black, so I dont know how that performs - but the slow and weak torpedoes would surely get frustrating eventually.  I would expect that a Fletcher would be better for ranked, if that was your thing.  

Your choice!

Are the shell arcs for the flint different than the Atlanta? Or does it have the super floaty shells. 

[SIM]
Members
4,676 posts
7,770 battles
2 hours ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Are the shell arcs for the flint different than the Atlanta? Or does it have the super floaty shells. 

Per everything that I’ve seen, the ballistics are identical to those on the Atlanta. 

I’m in the process of making the same decision as the OP, and I’m leaning towards the Black. I already have similar ships to the Flint (Atlanta and Belfast), but nothing like the Black.

• Cool 1