Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmNimitz41

Disappearing ships (Not behind smoke)

14 comments in this topic

[GONE]
Members
227 posts
5,401 battles

There's no smoke in sight & sometimes, especially in binocular view,  the targeted ship disappears. Does this happen to anyone else?
Does this happen to anyone else?
Is it normal, a known glitch, or just with my WinDoze 10 system?

Edited by AdmNimitz41
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[QQ7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
84 posts
8,220 battles

Probly because they are either falling off radar/ hydro or hard spotted detection range, or they haven't shot their main guns for over 20secs.

It's normal.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,579 posts
3,808 battles

No one has line of sight to them within their detection radius. Thus they go undetected. All ships have a detection radius. If an enemy ship enters it, and has a direct line of sight (no smoke, islands, etc), they are detected and show up on screen and on the minimap. If no one has line of sight, they go undetected, and disappear. When you fire, your detection radius becomes the same as the max range of your guns, whatever it is at the moment. So often, a ship will fire, be detected as their detection radius increases, then after 20 sec the radius goes back to the standard (assuming you didn't fire your guns again). Often that means no one is detecting them anymore, so they go dark.

This is all basic game mechanics, really helpful to know these. I suggest reading the WOWS wiki for further info.

[TBW]
Members
9,821 posts
16,571 battles

Check out Klingon Vessels.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLF3]
Members
25,235 posts
22,261 battles
1 minute ago, JCC45 said:

Read this...

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

the answer to all of your questions are there.

Get a handle of the answers from that link, OP.

An understanding of Concealment, Detection is the first real hurdle new players need to overcome.  It answers a number of weird things a new guy will see.

[LANCE]
Members
725 posts
5,455 battles

Another thing to consider is your own detection range. This won’t help you see them but can help you stay out of there detection range. To see on your mini-map hold ctrl and select the little cog to the top right of your mini-map. Then select detection range. It’ll show up on you mini-map as a blue “dash” line. If a ship is within that circle you’ll stay spotted. You’ll notice when you fire your guns the dashed line goes to your max gun range. It’ll stay there for 20 secs. This’ll help you “disappear” though if no ships are within your detection range allowing to you break contact/go dark.

As others have said, check the wiki and the linked video. It’ll really help!

Good luck and have fun!!

[PLPT]
Members
214 posts
9,961 battles
37 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Get a handle of the answers from that link, OP.

An understanding of Concealment, Detection is the first real hurdle new players need to overcome.  It answers a number of weird things a new guy will see.

...and arguably the most important.

[TDRB]
Members
4,433 posts
12,588 battles
1 hour ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

There's no smoke in sight & sometimes, especially in binocular view,  the targeted ship disappears. Does this happen to anyone else?

Read http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

Yes, ships do disappear. It is part of the balancing mechanics used by WG. Yes, good DD players can work it much like a cloaking device and you're at their mercy or more accuracy at their total lack of mercy. It can be frustrating at times.This is one of the reasons DD's are top priority targets.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,687 posts
14,626 battles
3 hours ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

Yes actually. I had it happen in one ranked battle tonight. A DD kept disappearing. I would go to zoom and he would be gone. Come out of zoom and he was there again. Maybe 3 or 4 times this happened.

I've had other occurances that "could" have been the same bug but couldn't swear it wasn't just normal spotting. In this case there's no doubt, dude was shooting at me while running at or close to full speed after charging out of his smoke. Maybe 7km with a clear line of sight.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,235 posts
22,261 battles
1 hour ago, AdmNimitz41 said:

Thanks for the links & help, everyone!

Good luck out there.  It's not surprising to get crushed badly as the new guy, so don't get discouraged.  If you got questions feel free to ask around here.

Sign in to follow this