Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Firestartergold1

Battle Strat

9 comments in this topic

Members
59 posts
189 battles

Alright, I am new to the BB stage. I have the SC. How should I play. I heard the best reward is to rush but hang low a bit. I heard the most careful is to skirt around and fire from your max range.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,751 posts
7,526 battles

Push, but don't overextend. Stay with your team and you will be safer.

Predict enemy torpedos and dodge in advance. Bait them by wiggling just a bit and then slamming reverse. Don't be afraid to run from a DD.

Use AP, but wait for a broadside target. Otherwise, aim high and hit the super structure. HE is good on DDs, that said.

If you are slow, don't go to the edge of the map, stay towards the middle where you can flex in all directions.

Members
59 posts
189 battles
5 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Push, but don't overextend. Stay with your team and you will be safer.

Predict enemy torpedos and dodge in advance. Bait them by wiggling just a bit and then slamming reverse. Don't be afraid to run from a DD.

Use AP, but wait for a broadside target. Otherwise, aim high and hit the super structure. HE is good on DDs, that said.

If you are slow, don't go to the edge of the map, stay towards the middle where you can flex in all directions.

Thanks

[WOLFG]
Members
8,538 posts
6,858 battles

Every BB has an effective range.  IIRC, the South Carolina is the most accurate of the Tier 3's, which isn't saying much.

Under 10 KM is probably best (max torp range T2-4 is about 6 km).

If you can get under 8 even better.

[PHASE]
Members
6,238 posts
19,747 battles
13 hours ago, Firestartergold1 said:

Alright, I am new to the BB stage. I have the SC. How should I play. I heard the best reward is to rush but hang low a bit. I heard the most careful is to skirt around and fire from your max range.

Three major things to focus on and they aren't as easy as it may seem.

1) know your ship, know your ranges, your speed...sometimes shooting once before ducking into cover is more important than shooting often but being exposed and targeted for deletion.

2) this is the hard one, learn the enemy ships, all of them, how far they shoot, their detection ranges, how far can they torp...this will take a long time to learn.

3) Study the mini map, make sure you have last known position selected. by using your mini map it can tell you if its safer to push in and help cap, or stay back cause torpedo slingers are close by.

It just takes experience and when you mess up, try to determine how and why you did. 

lastly, we all feel we would have been excellent WWII captains, its why we play this game. try to enjoy it, because for all the fun it provides, there is a multitude of frustration as well, no matter what skill level any player is.

Members
78 posts
3,065 battles

Tank enough damage that you don't die before the game ends, and you have the chance to use all your heals. Without being so passive that you have 3/4 health and all your heals left at the end. 

If you're finishing the game with lots of HP and heals your cruisers did the job you're supposed to do and died. 

Low tier DDs have terrible torp ranges, sub 6km. So if you see one rushing you kite away and watch your priority target move from (1) (0) (1) this means they've gone from guns, launched torps, back to guns. You'll easily run the distance of their torps so they shouldn't hit you. 

Be aggressive, but not so much where you get targeted by 3 or more. Once youve made the wrong choice and need to run, 20knot top speed makes that very hard to do. 

Cruisers fear your guns, as long as your in a good position you have strong map control. Fire at anything that shows you broadside, that's a mistake that should be punished, sometimes you can delete them with one salvo. 

Members
59 posts
189 battles
On 12/24/2018 at 12:27 PM, WeekendLossStreak said:

Tank enough damage that you don't die before the game ends, and you have the chance to use all your heals. Without being so passive that you have 3/4 health and all your heals left at the end. 

If you're finishing the game with lots of HP and heals your cruisers did the job you're supposed to do and died. 

Low tier DDs have terrible torp ranges, sub 6km. So if you see one rushing you kite away and watch your priority target move from (1) (0) (1) this means they've gone from guns, launched torps, back to guns. You'll easily run the distance of their torps so they shouldn't hit you. 

Be aggressive, but not so much where you get targeted by 3 or more. Once youve made the wrong choice and need to run, 20knot top speed makes that very hard to do. 

Cruisers fear your guns, as long as your in a good position you have strong map control. Fire at anything that shows you broadside, that's a mistake that should be punished, sometimes you can delete them with one salvo. 

Alright, thanks. I learned to never really show my broadside in battle. Only do it with DD's, I show my broadside, torp, and RUN

[THREE]
Members
2,084 posts
10,525 battles

@Firestartergold1

Don't sit still, kept you moving. That way you can react faster to threats and torps

Use AP on broadsides or on cruisers, but don't switch shell types manually. Fire what's loaded first after selecting what you want next in the chamber.

Don't show broadside, unless you can get away with it, ie, they just fired.

Don't sail in a straight line when detected, cause torps also move in straight lines...

Don't use you damage control party on single fires unless you're undetected or behind cover.

And don't be afraid to take damage. Max gun range doesn't mean the same thing as effective gun range.

Sign in to follow this