You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MajorRenegade

Why is Steel Monsters behind a paywall?

21 comments in this topic

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,843 posts
4,871 battles

like for real? I was looking forward to grinding the Campaign.....

:cap_old:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[KAPPA]
Members
2,842 posts
7,610 battles

Because there's around 40$ worth of things in the campaign even before the steel.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,454 posts
19,913 battles
7 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Because there's around 40$ worth of things in the campaign even before the steel.

And that value is subjective depending on the buyer. I rationalize the purchase solely on the steel needed to get the Black and the premium time. Flags and cammo are meh. WG does what they must to turn a profit and it quite often grabs the interest of many captains.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
977 posts
15,997 battles

Question: Why is Steel Monsters behind a paywall?

Answer: So WG gets paid.

I am truly not being sarcastic; I don't like it either. But they just gave us Dreadnought for free with the missions which honestly were grindy but not difficult. They also (potentially) are offering us the PEF, with a lot more grinding, for free. Since it's a free to play game and not everyone buys things to keep the lights on they are selling this mission. Personally, I will not buy it as I think it sets a bad precedent but I understand the cause behind it. 

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,330 posts

WG is testing the waters to monetize the game in new ways, of course.  I hope it doesn't sell very well though, could make them more brazen in more aggressive paywalls for very nice content.

And i'm sure they're aware the FTC will be on them sooner than later when loot boxes are officially gambling

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[KAPPA]
Members
2,842 posts
7,610 battles
Just now, Khafni said:

And that value is subjective depending on the buyer. I rationalize the purchase solely on the steel needed to get the Black and the premium time. Flags and cammo are meh. WG does what they must to turn a profit and it quite often grabs the interest of many captains.

Perhaps, but price is less subjective, and dictated by what most are willing to pay. Which is why i I said 40$ worth of stuff, not 40$ in value. With 40$ you could get less than what is in it, partially due to some things not being easy to obtain. That doesn't make the value of it 40, but the price is what it is.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,827 posts

At least for me, it instantly told me not to bother with that campaign.

No way I'm spending $60 not for any actual things, but just for missions I have to grind -- and no way I'm encouraging WG to do it again.

• Cool 1

[5D]
Members
978 posts
12,542 battles

Because scrubs that never spend money on this game get to have a reason to complaints,  WG need to pay their people don't like it don't buy it 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
49 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

like for real? I was looking forward to grinding the Campaign.....

:cap_old:

You can still get 4,019 steel for free. In the Name of His Highness gives out 2,000 steel and PEF. Then you can complete Nerves of Steel for another 2,019 steel.

• Cool 1

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,843 posts
4,871 battles
6 minutes ago, dad003 said:

Because scrubs that never spend money on this game get to have a reason to complaints,  WG need to pay their people don't like it don't buy it 

I just wasted almost 100$ on santa boxes. no way in hell iI'm wasting a other 60$ just for missions

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,405 posts
10,759 battles
[KAPPA]
Members
2,842 posts
7,610 battles
Just now, MajorRenegade said:

I just wasted almost 100$ on santa boxes. no way in hell iI'm wasting a other 60$ just for missions

They announced that it's a paid campaign before the gift boxes were even released, I'm pretty sure, so it's not like you didn't have warning. On the 20th of November, to be exact. They didn't announce the price, only that it would be a paid campaign.

[WOLF3]
Members
25,236 posts
22,261 battles
13 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Everyone said they wanted steel.

WG is exploring just how much everyone want steel.

Not to mention the main source of Steel can be freely acquired.

Ranked

Clan Battles

You don't want to do those?

Pay up.

• Boring 1

Members
771 posts
5,274 battles
1 hour ago, CaliburxZero said:

WG is testing the waters to monetize the game in new ways, of course.  I hope it doesn't sell very well though, could make them more brazen in more aggressive paywalls for very nice content.

And i'm sure they're aware the FTC will be on them sooner than later when loot boxes are officially gambling

WG is very fair about giving us tons of free stuff too.  Look at all the free xp, coal, and steel ships that you can get for doing nothing other than playing the game.  We are about to get another T9 free xp ship.  The Royal Navy event was beyond generous. I came out of that with a free Warspite, $.99 Cossack,  free special commander, and tons of camos and signals. There is always a way to get free perma camos. I just cashed in a bunch of coal and completed a couple of collections that netted me several free perma camos. You are getting 6 free perma camos out of the Might Prinz campaign. I can't complain about paywalls, all things considered. 

[BS]
Members
1,967 posts
10,390 battles
10 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

WG is very fair about giving us tons of free stuff too.  Look at all the free xp, coal, and steel ships that you can get for doing nothing other than playing the game.  We are about to get another T9 free xp ship.  The Royal Navy event was beyond generous. I came out of that with a free Warspite, $.99 Cossack,  free special commander, and tons of camos and signals. There is always a way to get free perma camos. I just cashed in a bunch of coal and completed a couple of collections that netted me several free perma camos. You are getting 6 free perma camos out of the Might Prinz campaign. I can't complain about paywalls, all things considered. 

expendable camo's that are given out during all these events render perma camo's worthless. I have so many ill never even be able to use them all that net better rewards then a perma camo.

perma camo's are a waste of money unless it's a tier 10 ship

[WOLFC]
Members
1,768 posts
9,374 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Not to mention the main source of Steel can be freely acquired.

Ranked

Clan Battles

[Insert Generic  "Being in a Clan who makes you play Clan Battles is neither free nor is it for everyone" statement here]

I understand the role of a commodity as a specific reward for Clan battles.  If I prefer to not have to deal with the politics & demands of a fighting clan and thus lose out on a commodity, so be it.  This half measure isn't making me want to change my game play style but it might make others try out clans who battle.

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
797 posts
11,976 battles
5 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

expendable camo's that are given out during all these events render perma camo's worthless. I have so many ill never even be able to use them all that net better rewards then a perma camo.

perma camo's are a waste of money unless it's a tier 10 ship

Not to mention all the missions/campaigns that keep popping up ( the "Mighty Prinz"  being the current iteration), that give free perma-camos that have all the same attributes as the paid for versions. Whether you have or play the ships in question is one thing, but they are free perma-camos with a little work.