You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TehParakitteh

A laptop that can handle WOWS

13 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
155 posts
3,944 battles

So, I've come home for Christmas, leaving my enormous full tower at my other home. This has left me with the ageing, dying Acer Aspire 5742 that first got me into WoWS.

This piece of garbage tops out at 8fps in-game, dropping to 4 if it tries to load in torpedoes, shells or ships. It's basically unplayable.

Obviously, my tower performs just fine but I'm wondering if there's an existing, inexpensive laptop spec that will play WoWS at an acceptable framerate - I don't care the graphical quality as long as it makes 30 frames. This is just for when I'm on the road - visiting family or away with work.

Looking around, including 2017 threads on the WOWS forum, I'm ending up with a lot of conflicting information. Some guys have said that an AMD laptop with A9 or A12 chips, with their Radeon R5/R7 integrated graphics, are acceptable for WOWS. And retailers tend to have fluff lines about "with graphics, you can play games liek Watchover!".

But every time I try to look up stats and performance for this class of APU, they just look like garbage. But if this first-generation Core i3 can "run" the game, how bad can these much newer systems be?

The main laptop I'm looking at right now is a Lenovo IdeaPad 320, with an A9-9420 APU (Radeon R5 integrated chip), which is £350 new or £280 for a refurbished example.

Help and/or opinions?

[WOLFG]
Members
8,561 posts
6,922 battles

I have a Lenovo Yoga 730-13" with an intel core I5 (8th gen).

The 13" screen is a little small, but it will fit in my work computer bag when I travel.

The major difference is my FPS has dropped from 75 to 50 with the laptop.  Hasn't had a lot of effect that I have noticed.

The 256 GB drive is a little small (I've already used about half), but if I don't put much more on it, it should be fine.

It was $690 U.S.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[BNKR]
Members
155 posts
3,944 battles

I have come across an Intel-specced laptop that will definitely meet requirements and probably run "fine" (ie 30++ frames), an i5-7200U/GeForce 940Mx at £430

I mean, that is a little more than I'd like to pay, but given the dearth of information or goodwill towards the Radeon R5 and R7 systems...

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
21,869 battles

I have a 2015/16 low end HP Lap top with AMD processor it handles WoWs well with the aid of Razer Cortex free enhancer software run before going gaming.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[BNKR]
Members
155 posts
3,944 battles
2 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I have a 2015/16 low end HP Lap top with AMD processor it handles WoWs well with the aid of Razer Cortex free enhancer software run before going gaming.

ooooooh

I'll have to give Cortex a download and see what good, if any, it does for my seven year old machine. Back in a tick.

Ah, longer than a tick actually, forgot I just had a Win10 update. But I will give that a try.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
3,939 posts

I prefer desktops for primary use but I do appreciate laptops for frequent travel.

I’m perfectly happy with my new laptop. In fact, I’d whole heartedly recommend it to anyone for wows and wot.

Dell Inspiron  running win10x64

15”

intel I-5 with 16gb ram and a 256gb ssd

geforce 1060ti with 3gb dedicated ram

backlit keyboard, WiFi and Bluetooth

Logitech wireless mouse & Bluetooth earbuds 

I get 60-80fps max settings at 1080p

You can snag them now on eBay for $5-700.

Its no I-7 desktop replacement with all the latest gizmos and doodads but, for my purposes, it doesn’t need to be. Besides, it doesn’t cost $2500 and it won’t break my heart if it is stolen, dies or is obsolete.

Edited by thebigblue

[TOY]
Members
65 posts
3,968 battles

im using a Dell latitude E6530 with a Intel i7 and it runs in the 40-50 fps range

i have a LG ultra widescreen hooked up to it and that drops my fps down into the 30ish fps range but its still playable 

Members
3,303 posts
6,679 battles

I have a Alienware m17 r3 which is a 17 in screen with intel I7 and 16 gig memory and 250 gig SSD for $999 off eBAY.   Win 7. Runs great when not using my game machine.  

It also has extra bay inside for another hard drive

Edited by dionkraft

[BNKR]
Members
155 posts
3,944 battles

Okay, running the Cortex Boost got me a "stable" 7-8fps where previously I'd have been lucky to have 4; by turning off everything I could, graphics wise, I got to 12fps stable. I'm pretty sure that's what I used to get on this thing before I built my PC.

There's definitely more optimising to do with this machine after the massive Windows update, but tbh, I think it's confirmed to me that the cheap laptops I was originally looking at should be able to handle WOWS.

[COMET]
Members
5 posts
9,945 battles

I've played thousands of games on a $400 Acer Aspire E5-575 Series model N1602

I use WiFi, including my Phone as a Hot Spot, and Aslain's Mods.

No Problems

Ranked out Yesterday...

\

[SIDE]
Members
3,939 posts
3 hours ago, TehParakitteh said:

Okay, running the Cortex Boost got me a "stable" 7-8fps where previously I'd have been lucky to have 4; by turning off everything I could, graphics wise, I got to 12fps stable. I'm pretty sure that's what I used to get on this thing before I built my PC.

There's definitely more optimising to do with this machine after the massive Windows update, but tbh, I think it's confirmed to me that the cheap laptops I was originally looking at should be able to handle WOWS.

They may not. Depends on the graphic details selections you make. Most of the time that integrated intel gpu is garbage for anything beyond productivity applications and browsing. You’d really be doing yourself a favor by doing some hard-core bargain shopping and snag a laptop and with a discrete graphics chip like a 1050ti or better. Huge screens, 32gb ram and giant drives aren’t nearly as important.