You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Farragut or Monaghan

26 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,588 battles

I run the operation of the week a lot & Co-ops with DD's. I am not ready to try DD's in random or ranked. I do have the Sims, Gaede & Maass. The Acosta is the only British DD I have.

The Monaghan is a meh bote according to LWM. I know the Monaghan can be a gun or torpedo boat.

I looking for opinions on these two. I will get one or the other.

• Meh 1

[COMET]
Members
5 posts
9,947 battles

I just ranked out in the B hull Farragut.  I ranked out the first two seasons of sprint in 28 and 34 games.  It took me 43 games this season mostly because I started off with the T-61 and the Shinonome.  Neither fit my play style.  The B hull Farragut is a great ship, best T6 DD for ranked as far as I'm concerned.

I'm an average player.  Here's the game i ranked out on yesterday.

Screenshot (59).png

Screenshot (60).png

20181222_194121_PASD005-Farragut-1944_08_NE_passage.wowsreplay

Edited by Qietman

[ARGSY]
Members
18,277 posts
12,709 battles
36 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I run the operation of the week a lot & Co-ops with DD's. I am not ready to try DD's in random or ranked. I do have the Sims, Gaede & Maass. The Acosta is the only British DD I have.

The Monaghan is a meh bote according to LWM. I know the Monaghan can be a gun or torpedo boat.

Monaghan can be fitted out for AA for Dynamo as quite a tolerable AA boat, but the Sims is supposed to be much, much better at this.

Monaghan can be either a C hull Farragut or a weird torpedo-focused skulk-and-hide affair as you see fit. Monaghan will cost you money or doubloons; Farragut is a tech-tree ship and can be had for free, but you will be required to re-train any commander you put in Farragut (in one way or another).

Monaghan is worth it if you want a premium Farragut specifically to run in ops at Tier 6, or if you're ready to try something different. However, that something hangs entirely on her torpedoes, and we all know bots behave in strange and frustrating ways when it comes to them. There's a vid on the Monaghan, I'm pretty sure it was by @NoZoupForYou , which was what sold me on paying for that ship; Mouse found it an unsatisfying experience, but reading her review will at least have you going into Monaghan with eyes wide open if you choose that direction.

If all you want from a premium US destroyer is something to retrain captains in, Sims already has you covered.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

If you aren't comfortable in randoms with a ship, stay out of operations with them. Once you're good in them, Farragut helps the team do well with smoke and anti-DD work, and Monaghan can be used to slap ships like Newport's Izumo. Up to you whether you focus on damaging key ships or aiding allies.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,622 posts
19,321 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Gun or torpedo???

It really sucks at both.

To get half decent guns you sacrifice torpedoes. 

To get long range torpedoes,  you sacrifice guns.

It is a meh boat. 

TG I got it free.

Members
910 posts
11,233 battles
13 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Gun or torpedo???

It really sucks at both.

To get half decent guns you sacrifice torpedoes. 

To get long range torpedoes,  you sacrifice guns.

It is a meh boat. 

TG I got it free.

OH YEAH, WELL, JUST WAIT TILL SUBS COME INTO GAME!  THEN SHE'LL REALLY SHINE!!! /s

• Funny 1

Members
31 posts
3,307 battles

Monaghan is great that you can have either configure it as gun boat or torp boat.

Monaghan sucks that neither configuration is good.

So you have a trade off.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,840 posts
7,610 battles

The gun hull with torp reload can be pretty effective in operations. Yes, you lose out on that extra gun, have shorter range torps and the reload booster is slow at 30 sec, but you now have enough torps to take out most waves of enemies when you have both ready. Just smoke in their path and nip at their heels with your reasonable number of guns, then, when they finally near, you torp the crap out of them and their friends!

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,588 battles
1 hour ago, pewpewpew42 said:

If you aren't comfortable in randoms with a ship, stay out of operations with them. Once you're good in them, Farragut helps the team do well with smoke and anti-DD work, and Monaghan can be used to slap ships like Newport's Izumo. Up to you whether you focus on damaging key ships or aiding allies.

How can you get better if you do not play operations? Ops, IMO, are easier than randoms because  in ops you know when & where to expect the enemy ships to be.

Members
310 posts
6,861 battles

This was my best game in the Monaghan back in August when I was running her as a torpedo boat with the B-hull option. The challenge with this setup is that you lose your aft guns for the extra 2 torpedo tubes.  The Mark 15 mod 3 torpedo does more damage, has a longer range and a quicker rate of fire than the Mark 12. However, the speed is over 10 knots slower than the Mark 12 and the reload time is almost a minute and a half unless you have the reload consumable. So if you're being chased, you have to turn around to shoot and drop torps, or smoke and use your speed consumable to get to a safe distance. You can rack up some good damage, credits and XP this way, but it takes patience and not every battle will net you a good game.

Monaghan12018-08-30.png

• Cool 1

Members
1,257 posts
7,142 battles
2 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

How can you get better if you do not play operations? Ops, IMO, are easier than randoms because  in ops you know when & where to expect the enemy ships to be.

You'll never learn anything about playing DDs in randoms without playing DDs in randoms. 

It's okay to learn in randoms. There will be tons of players out there just as bad or worse than you. Just don't jump straight into high tiers. Work your way through the lines. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,588 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Monaghan can be fitted out for AA for Dynamo as quite a tolerable AA boat, but the Sims is supposed to be much, much better at this.

Monaghan can be either a C hull Farragut or a weird torpedo-focused skulk-and-hide affair as you see fit. Monaghan will cost you money or doubloons; Farragut is a tech-tree ship and can be had for free, but you will be required to re-train any commander you put in Farragut (in one way or another).

Monaghan is worth it if you want a premium Farragut specifically to run in ops at Tier 6, or if you're ready to try something different. However, that something hangs entirely on her torpedoes, and we all know bots behave in strange and frustrating ways when it comes to them. There's a vid on the Monaghan, I'm pretty sure it was by @NoZoupForYou , which was what sold me on paying for that ship; Mouse found it an unsatisfying experience, but reading her review will at least have you going into Monaghan with eyes wide open if you choose that direction.

If all you want from a premium US destroyer is something to retrain captains in, Sims already has you covered.

I watched a couple of videos and do believe one was by NoZoupForYou.

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,588 battles
2 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

You'll never learn anything about playing DDs in randoms without playing DDs in randoms. 

It's okay to learn in randoms. There will be tons of players out there just as bad or worse than you. Just don't jump straight into high tiers. Work your way through the lines. 

That is true but you must become familiar with the ship & when & how to make the better use of consumables. DD's are the least forgiving ships. In randoms you get blown out of the water quicker than in coops or ops.

[EGI]
[EGI]
Beta Testers
1,234 posts
23,669 battles

The biggest differences for me are , and I do like both ships, the Monaghan has both lower surface detectability  ( with camo but no commander ) 7.0 km vs 7.3 and better hp 13900 vs 11500.  

There are other slight differneces, Farragut has slightly better rudder shift , Mo has 1 sec better torp reload.  

4 guns vs 5 is a big diff but 2400 hp is huge .. and better concealment .. and free def AA.

Both ships have compromises , Monaghan is just better overall imho.  

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles
16 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Operations can be easier, but basic game skills aren't taught there. Getting wiped out in a random game teaches more than a slap on the wrist of a lost star. The thinking that bad players should just play operations to get better is why the teams are terrible these days. Learn the lessons in random, and perhaps a dash of ranked, and apply them to profit in the ops.

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,588 battles
2 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Operations can be easier, but basic game skills aren't taught there. Getting wiped out in a random game teaches more than a slap on the wrist of a lost star. The thinking that bad players should just play operations to get better is why the teams are terrible these days. Learn the lessons in random, and perhaps a dash of ranked, and apply them to profit in the ops.

Does getting wiped out in a random teach more? That is a very subjective view. You also justify this view with a comment that I have not made nor implied. I'm NOT one of the elitist who believes you need a 50% or better win rate & a 1000 or better personal rating to play randoms. The fact is you do learn from playing coops & ops. But I do agree there is a point when you need to start playing randoms to progress further. 

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles
28 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Does getting wiped out in a random teach more? That is a very subjective view. You also justify this view with a comment that I have not made nor implied. I'm NOT one of the elitist who believes you need a 50% or better win rate & a 1000 or better personal rating to play randoms. The fact is you do learn from playing coops & ops. But I do agree there is a point when you need to start playing randoms to progress further. 

Random teaches better lessons because it punishes more often, and more severely. Intelligent players will still carry five sub-45% guys to an ops win (with few stars, but a win nonetheless), whereas in randoms it takes truly exceptional play to overcome that drag on a team. The guys who get carried through the op learn nothing, but the ones who hinder their team in randoms lose outright, providing an incentive to improve and learn.

The difference between a win and a loss is pretty obvious in randoms, whereas bad players will not respond to a 2-star op, since they just see 'win.'

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,588 battles
2 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Random teaches better lessons because it punishes more often, and more severely. Intelligent players will still carry five sub-45% guys to an ops win (with few stars, but a win nonetheless), whereas in randoms it takes truly exceptional play to overcome that drag on a team. The guys who get carried through the op learn nothing, but the ones who hinder their team in randoms lose outright, providing an incentive to improve and learn.

The difference between a win and a loss is pretty obvious in randoms, whereas bad players will not respond to a 2-star op, since they just see 'win.'

Poor play and lacking intelligence are 2 completely different things. Skill & intelligence are also two completely different things. 

• Meh 1

[_AAM_]
Alpha Tester
480 posts
8,244 battles

I just ranked out yesterday in the B hull Monaghan.  It's a good boat as far as the torpedoes (I have Sims, so that DD minus two 5 inch guns).  That, plus I put my 19 point ATL captain in her.  :)

Members
347 posts
7,927 battles

Farragut is the best DD in T6, period. And if you want to finish Ranked fast, then you should only play with the Farragut (B Hull).

shot-18.12.24_19.00.20-0240.jpg

[IXM]
Members
1,047 posts

I'm glad people are saying the Farragut is actually good, going for it right now. I figure it has to be better than the truly awful Nicholas.

[FML]
Members
3,655 posts
14,584 battles
On 12/24/2018 at 7:14 AM, kgh52 said:

Get the Farragut. It’s a good fun ship in random or in scenarios. And it’s free!

If you want a true scenario monster, get the Sims. 

Good luck!

Members
83 posts
4,216 battles

No need to get the Monaghan right now, im sure she'll be on sale in the future. In the mean time, the Farragut will do fine for you, and will help you work on the rest of the USN DD's, which have excellent high tier ships. Most people tend to feel "meh" about most T9 ships, mainly because they face their T10 sister ships. The USS Fletcher is the exception. She's worth all previous struggles.