You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

What Should I Do With My Steel?

What Do I do With My Steel?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What Do I do With My Steel?

• Flint
    • Black
    • Horde it like precious metals

28 comments in this topic

Members
771 posts
5,274 battles

I'm not sure what to do with my steel. I am not big into ranked so my prospects of future steel are uncertain.  I am going to have just over 14,000 at the end of the event. I have 11,000+ now. So, when the coupon hits tomorrow I can get either the Flint or the Black. I can also sit on it and hope more events like this come down the road. What do y'all think??? 

[BISC]
Supertester, Beta Testers
223 posts
3,220 battles
4 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

... what ship do you actually want?

This.

If the older steel ships don't interest you (this is the case with me), then just sit on it until something else comes along. 

Although I don't know if an event like this will come along again anytime soon. 

[TOG]
Members
4,081 posts
22,345 battles

How badly do you want the Flint/Black? How badly do you want a Stalingrad? You'll need 4k more for a Stalingrad. So either grind it out in rank or join a clan and do CB.

Members
771 posts
5,274 battles
17 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

... what ship do you actually want?

well, if I knew  that, I wouldn't be asking you folks :-)  

Both look extremely OP and I enjoy both play styles. So, which is better? Which is the better value in steel? Or is the steel cost too much for either and I should just hold out for one of the big fish down the road? 

Tough to make decisions on ships I NEVER see in randoms. 

Edited by General_Lee_Miserable

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
1 minute ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Both look extremely OP and I enjoy both play styles. So, which is better? Which is the better value in steel? Or is the steel cost too much for either and I should just hold out for one of the big fish down the road? 

What ships do you like playing?

Members
6,277 posts
19,822 battles
21 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I'm not sure what to do with my steel. I am not big into ranked so my prospects of future steel are uncertain.  I am going to have just over 14,000 at the end of the event. I have 11,000+ now. So, when the coupon hits tomorrow I can get either the Flint or the Black. I can also sit on it and hope more events like this come down the road. What do y'all think??? 

I would convert it into coal and buy as many ramming flags as possible. 

See the source image

• Funny 4

[TOG]
Members
4,081 posts
22,345 battles
4 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Tough to make decisions on ships I NEVER see in randoms. 

For the bigger fish...

Spoiler

The OP ship in the game per LHM

shot-18_12.22_13_20.18-0178.thumb.jpg.8557063c1c62792cd229a32b24786fa9.jpg

Second game in an Ocean Map

shot-18_12.22_23.40_12-0095.thumb.jpg.3756e1dcd8a29843e9f4c1b9f295f764.jpg

Members
5,144 posts

For the Horde!...er, the word is hoard.  I hoarded my steel, before the horde of mongols came and took it from me.

I don't have nearly that much steel, so I'll probably use the pittance I have as extra coal if I need it, or otherwise let it set for now for another occasion.

[TBW]
Members
9,822 posts
16,571 battles

I have wanted the Black for a long time, but then comes the Stalingrad and now I am deciding. I will probably wait to get the Stalinium and then work on Flint and Black next.

Members
771 posts
5,274 battles
14 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

For the Horde!...er, the word is hoard.  I hoarded my steel, before the horde of mongols came and took it from me.

I don't have nearly that much steel, so I'll probably use the pittance I have as extra coal if I need it, or otherwise let it set for now for another occasion.

lol... I'm an engineer. English isn't our first language. 

• Funny 2

[AAA]
Members
1,117 posts
12,392 battles

I want the Black as I’m a dd main and I my best wr are in the fletchers. 

I want the Flint as it was a real ship but I have and Atlanta that has more main guns but no smoke. Probably no high on the list. 

I want the Stalingrad and it’s OPP and I’m down with it. 

Lastly the Frenchy. The old Alsace with updated secondaries. 

Ranking the ships in value and playstyle the Flint and French boat play almost the same as other easier to obtain shops. The Alsace is still a favorite of mine nerfed as it is and a reload booster and better secondaries would be cool but that is a steep price in steel. Plus JB is similar. I’d have to be rolling in steel to buy.

Smoke vs radar in the Flint vs Atlanta I’ll save the steel but not as bad a deal as the Frechy. 

Black allows smoke and radar at the expense of fast torps. That’s making a cap dd a super cap dd. Super interested. 

Not sure how different the Stalingrad is from Kron. I hear the armour is better. Interested. 

Ill probably hoard for now.......

curious what others thoughts are.

[TOG]
Members
4,081 posts
22,345 battles
2 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

If you sit on the steel and the coupon, Stalingrad is only 21,000.

Makes him about 6k short. He's not in a clan (therefore does not play CB) or play ranked. his only hope at this point is"

1. He gets a steel supercontainer.

2. He does well in regular ranked.

3. join a clan and start playing CB. And do well enough.

[VW]
Members
3,909 posts
18,832 battles
3 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

stalingrad, everything else is meh

[ARGSY]
Members
18,281 posts
12,732 battles

The Flint is an Atlanta that humped a Fiji and ran off with its smoke generator, leaving a pair of turrets and its radar behind in its haste to escape.

The Black is DD666, and no church will ever have you again if the pastor catches you playing it. :Smile_teethhappy:

OP, if I were in your conundrum, I would ask myself whether I wanted to play mildly nerfed Smoke Atlanta or a T9 radar destroyer.

FWIW: for myself I would probably choose the Flint, because as someone who was a RN cruiser main before he diversified, I'm used to sitting in smoke and firing at people, and the thought of doing it with 6/7 of the Atlanta's firepower (no wing turret on either side) fills me with malevolent glee. (NB: I do not have the Belfast). I am still getting the hang of higher tier destroyer play and finding it a very treacherous place to be right now; I fear the Black would be wasted on me, especially if I couldn't make her pay for herself in credit yield (and I already have more US premium destroyers than I really need).

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,736 posts
8,695 battles

I'm personally going to get Flint, but only because Black is not unique enough IMO. Radar gimmick instead of engine boost or DFAA, in exchange for worse torpedoes? Meh.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,281 posts
12,732 battles
21 minutes ago, VictoryInThePacific said:

Steel is only useful to buy ships, nothing else, unless you convert it to coal, right?

Steel is so difficult to get that converting it to coal is foolish.

Since I wrote my reply upthread, we have seen a whole bunch of T9 and T10 premiums enter testing. Any one or more of them could be for steel. OP, if you haven't spent it yet, DON'T.

• Cool 1

[TDG]
Members
1,784 posts
11,616 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Steel is so difficult to get that converting it to coal is foolish.

Since I wrote my reply upthread, we have seen a whole bunch of T9 and T10 premiums enter testing. Any one or more of them could be for steel. OP, if you haven't spent it yet, DON'T.

Particularly when Coal is relatively easy to come by.  I'm stocking up on the Coal Modules as the coupons arrive.

With the current Ranked, I now have enough Steel for Stalingrad.  I'm just waiting for the Ship coupon to cycle.

[TOG]
Members
4,081 posts
22,345 battles
1 minute ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Particularly when Coal is relatively easy to come by.  I'm stocking up on the Coal Modules as the coupons arrive.

With the current Ranked, I now have enough Steel for Stalingrad.  I'm just waiting for the Ship coupon to cycle.

I got 240K plus on coal right now. I used it to by flags before, but now I use credits. Stalingrad would be a good buy. Just be prepared to get 2 mil in potential damage. I building up my stockpile again.