You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

PEF vs other premium tier 6 BB's

43 comments in this topic

[DRNX]
Members
444 posts
10,196 battles

I have the warspite and since the WV is a very slow bb which insane caliber guns at tier 6 I was wondering if the PEF plays completely differently then a ship like the and a ship that can be fun to play. She also seems like a cruiser killer. Opinions please!

[EQRN]
Members
1,892 posts
15,792 battles

It's ok, just ok.  I wish they'd have a much more desirable ship for xmas events to make buying them much more palatable.  I bought the PEF to avoid the stress of getting the ship for free, then playing near non stop to complete the campaign it unlocks.  That alone makes it a worthwhile purchase for me, but once 7.12 is done, I'll probably never play the ship again short of snowflake-like things in the future.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles

she is more accurate than WV,almost warspite levels.she is faster than both and with better secondaries and AA.

but her guns are small,don't expect big damages,switch to HE against angled BBs,the ap shells will hit easily the cruisers except some tier8.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,623 posts
19,327 battles

She is a hood at tier 6.

She does just fine when played correctly.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
6,717 posts
12,787 battles

Go secondary/survival build with ramming flags.

It's fast for a T6 BB.  It feels like a turbocharged Bayern. 

I just recently got back into playing a few Randoms with it.  I feel dirty now.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,354 posts
13,879 battles
5 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I feel dirty now.

Then take a shower damnit! :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
6,717 posts
12,787 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Then take a shower damnit! :Smile-_tongue:

Wonder why I keep getting spawned alone way out in the corner...  lol

• Funny 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,087 posts
5,318 battles
20 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

She is a hood at tier 6.

She does just fine when played correctly.

Actually, I think she's better than Hood because her guns are actually accurate.

I'm somewhat enjoying the PEF because of that.

She is a good cruiser and destroyer hunter in that regard.

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles

Full Secondary build and cause havoc.  Let the secondaries take care of DD threats and use the accurate guns to demolish Cruisers and seriously wound BB's and use it to learn how to angle.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles

The PEF seems fun to play in Randoms, but I'm not so sure that she'd be as competitive in Ranked, if there are too many BBs to face and not enough cruisers to abuse.  The PEF seems well built for doing well vs cruisers, but she'll have a harder time vs BBs.

[SIM]
Members
4,671 posts
7,770 battles

She’s a Hood at tier VI that uptiers poorly because of her small, low penetration main battery. 

[GWG]
Members
6,717 posts
12,787 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The PEF seems fun to play in Randoms, but I'm not so sure that she'd be as competitive in Ranked, if there are too many BBs to face and not enough cruisers to abuse.  The PEF seems well built for doing well vs cruisers, but she'll have a harder time vs BBs.

The biggest advantage is that this is a new ship, and most operators have no idea what they are fighting.
It's like...  Huh?  New bote.   Think I'll try suicide torping it.......   AAaaaaaaaHHhhhhh   Seeeecondaries...  Make them STOP!!!

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
22 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

The biggest advantage is that this is a new ship, and most operators have no idea what they are fighting.
It's like...  Huh?  New bote.   Think I'll try suicide torping it.......   AAaaaaaaaHHhhhhh   Seeeecondaries...  Make them STOP!!!

Yeah, definitely some truth to that AVR.  It's amusing to put a full secondary build GK captain in the PEF and watch her go!

[WOLF3]
Members
25,228 posts
22,261 battles

Like Normandie and her undersized, low penetration guns, she is a Cruiser Killer and will have to work harder against Battleships, heavy armor.

The 380mm+ armed BBs can Overmatch anything Tier VII and below.  So Warspite, Bayern, WV'41, etc. can go for Hull Penetrations, etc.  PEF will have to play like other smaller BB sized guns with less penetration.  They don't have Overmatch capability like the 380mm+ ones and the AP Pen can be underwhelming unless super close.

You make a mistake against NM, Fuso, AZ and their 356mm guns, you will pay.

28X2FE0.png

As the range increases, PEF's AP power gets markedly worse.  You'll probably have to shell switch more, go for low superstructure / upper hull hits on more scenarios than AZ, Warspite, Fuso.

Tier VI Ranked is all about BBs and DDs, and the guys who made the mistake of taking a Bad Concealment + Non-Smoke Capable Cruiser.  Once the Cruisers are all dead early on in Ranked, PEF will be staring at BB threats that are hard to deal with.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,623 posts
19,327 battles
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

Actually, I think she's better than Hood because her guns are actually accurate.

I'm somewhat enjoying the PEF because of that.

She is a good cruiser and destroyer hunter in that regard.

Yes.

I run 2ndary module instead of accuracy and have had no problems hitting most ships.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,701 posts
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I have the warspite and since the WV is a very slow bb which insane caliber guns at tier 6 I was wondering if the PEF plays completely differently then a ship like the and a ship that can be fun to play. She also seems like a cruiser killer. Opinions please!

I love her.   Secondaries are fantastic.   She is a battlecruiser though so punish DDs and cruisers, but watch out for head’s up fights against other battleships.

Her AP at range does seem to bounce a lot, so use HE until you get in under 12km

She’s been fantastic in ranked so far.  Flexible and powerful.

I’m thinking of trying a Massachusetts secondary build on her just for fun.  Might be a step to far though.  We’ll see.

Members
31 posts
3,307 battles

PEF doent play like a BB, she is more of a CA than BB.

Her guns dont allow you to trade fires with BB at range, but she does have BB armor.

So run along with a flank force, or use her as bait when push cap.

Members
348 posts

Took me 57 battles to get to rank 1in the PEF. Started with the 0 point Captain worked up to a secondary, then AA build. 

I had no trouble punishing BB that let me in to close. You Fuso drivers need to stop going broadside, lots of citadel's.  Lol.  Arizona's we're the hardest to deal with.

Fun ship.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts
1 hour ago, killsbane67 said:

Took me 57 battles to get to rank 1in the PEF. Started with the 0 point Captain worked up to a secondary, then AA build. 

I had no trouble punishing BB that let me in to close. You Fuso drivers need to stop going broadside, lots of citadel's.  Lol.  Arizona's we're the hardest to deal with.

Fun ship.

SHHHHH!  We like getting citadels off of those broadsiding Fusos!

I think, that out of all the tier 6 premium BB's, PEF may just be my favorite.

It's accurate like Arizona- but also faster.    Has good AA and good secondaries.   The armor is pretty good by anyone's standards, save the German fleet with their  NO CITADELS FOR YOU! turtlebacks.   However, it still isn't exactly easy to citadel one- they sit low in the water, and have thick belt armor.  They're just EASIER to cit  than the normal KMS BB's w/turtlebacks.

The downside to all of that is the AP penetration is not so good, and it has the typical German HE.

Compared to WV 41', PEF is faster and more accurate- but you can't just hit AP at the start and yer good.   WV  has much better penetration, and can utterly trash many of the BB's it sees- but it has a hard time hitting anything reliably, it's very slow, and has bugger-all for AA.   Secondaries are decent, but nothing special.   Same layout that's on New Mex and Colorado.   Close range only.  They'll EFF up anything with poor armor that lingers overlong too close, but that's about it.   The triple whammy of slow speed, little AA, and poor accuracy makes Wee Vee extremely frustrating to play usually.

Compared to Arizona:   PEF can actually get out of it's own way!  It can defend itself from planes!!  It has secondaries that reach out and touch things!    However,  BB victims of Arizona's main battery fire will FEEL it a lot more than they will yours.   AND it has more guns to boot.   Armor is a wash in my book.  2 very different schemes, but both ships can take a serious beating and still remain afloat.   PEF gets a nod for big maps and uptiered games, though, simply because it's faster.

Compared to Mutsu:  I like it WAY better.   Mutsu has 16" guns, and those surprise single torpedo tubes, but I wouldn't call it a GOOD tier 6 BB.   There's a reason you rarely see it in battle.  To me, it just feels slow and ponderous and it's 16"ers were nerf batted hard just like WV's to make it fit in tier 6.  (I'd say it's more accurate than WV, though.)  It's fun to take out every now and then, but I like Fuso much better as a tier 6 BB.

Bottom line:

50/50  Arizona vs PEF.  Depends on your preference.  Can you live with guns that struggle to do big damage to BB's- attached to a ship that plays like a mini Alsace?   Get PEF.    Do you want to WRECK things that you shoot at, and can live with being slow and mostly defenseless vs CV's?  Get Arizona.

PEF would also be my pick hands down for Operations battles- just because it IS faster, and has good AA/better secondaries.

Both ships will murder cruisers like nobody's business, lol.

• Cool 1

[13CLM]
Members
469 posts
3,261 battles

PEF is actually a battle cruiser, I player her has a cruiser hunter at the start, then help the BB's at mid and end game. I'm having a fun time player her in ranked, I don't think she is going to do well when up tiered. She has good AA and secondaries work very well. I'm using a 19-P captain, speced for Graf Spee, PT,PM,HA,EM,AR,SI,AFT,CE

Edited by Markk9

[BUOY]
Members
806 posts
12,985 battles
8 hours ago, Crucis said:

With a secondary spec, she's quite beastly in Ranked since even though she has to be played like a cruiser in going for the 'guaranteed' HE damage vs BB's much of the time, she's as tanky as a German BC should be and her secondaries wreck any DD's and even CA's that gets caught or complacent.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
2 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

With a secondary spec, she's quite beastly in Ranked since even though she has to be played like a cruiser in going for the 'guaranteed' HE damage vs BB's much of the time, she's as tanky as a German BC should be and her secondaries wreck any DD's and even CA's that gets caught or complacent.

Lloyd, in my experience with the PEF to date, despite her having a hittable citadel, I've found the PEF to be very tanky.  I'm not sure that I'd want to go charging in with her using a general survivability build.  But with a hardcore secondary build, the PEF is NASTY!!!   :Smile_glasses:   At those shorter ranges, you gain penetration on your main guns, and the secondaries are quite good.  They're not tier 7 or higher secondary build good, but they do seem to be just about as good as it gets at tier 6 or lower.  And on top of that, with a full secondary commander build, you're also buffing up your AA.  

The PEF comes off feeling like a very nice, tanky battlecruiser.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

As I said in Mouse's thread: it's very similar to a Dukerque: accurate, puny guns (although Dunk's guns are definitely superior weapons in most ways), speedy, primarily intended to pop cruisers and support early blitzes, with some speed to extricate itself from tight situations.

The problem for PEF is twofold:

1) Unlike Scharn, there is no reward with PEF for closing the range. Whatever you gain from that secondary firepower is lost in the undue hazarding of your vessel to the threat of enemy torpedoes (which you cannot even reply with), and backbreaking close-range salvos (which you have no turtleback to mitigate).

2) This ship cannot uptier at all, and - worse, IMO - is a bad late-game contender, when matches are often whittled down to carriers, DDs, and BBs - most of which will flatten you. 

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
603 posts
13,280 battles

If wasn't tied to the event it would have never sold. I can describe the PEF in one word. JUNK! You couldn't pen plywood with the darn thing. I'll give you things may change after the CV rework. It does have good AA and decent secondary's. Current meta though, big ole nope! It's a port queen after the event. 

Edited by HyPHerFaZe
spelling