You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

No need to save ship once team is winning ?

14 comments in this topic

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,187 posts
14,191 battles

Playing fragile Cleveland against a group of red BBs at the end, and your team has clearly won the game, there is no additional service cost if you get sunk by a remaining BB trying to start a fire for additional damage, correct ? I score towards the bottom 3 most games and use these opportunities to increase my damage, but get deleted quick in the process.

Edited by Ericson38

[SOFOP]
Members
2,229 posts
13,355 battles

The only service costs you incur in that scenario is the ammunition cost.  You pay the same cost to repair your ship whether its untouched or sunk, but you are charged for each shell you shoot.

Members
1,021 posts
13,241 battles

same repair cost   deaad or alive,.

in faact even if you die doing zero more damaage the  damage you took gives you exp. (tanking damage)   so in every case  its better to die than to live if you want max exp :) never hide to save your ship on a loss ect....

[OO7]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles

Many of the games which end up being comebacks are because a lot of players think the way you do...

It only takes a few people doing this to turn a "guaranteed win" into a loss.

• Cool 5

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,359 posts
13,880 battles

The reason to save your ship in that situation is to avoid starting an avalanche of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Cool 1

Members
5,144 posts
1 hour ago, Ericson38 said:

Playing fragile Cleveland against a group of red BBs at the end, and your team has clearly won the game, there is no additional service cost if you get sunk by a remaining BB trying to start a fire for additional damage, correct ? I score towards the bottom 3 most games and use these opportunities to increase my damage, but get deleted quick in the process.

Except that when you get sunk, your team loses points, which may turn that win into a loss.

[GWG]
Members
6,720 posts
12,788 battles

Cruiser is worth points.  Your team loses when you die, the other team gains.

Unless your team score is around 900-ish, and theirs is 300-ish...  I wouldn't risk it.

Also look at the number of players...   If it's just you and a surrounded low-health DD....   Yeah..  Might want to go gun-silent and head for the corner.

Members
78 posts
3,116 battles

If both teams are close on points it's not a good decision to just suicide. Even a two cap advantage can be flipped quite easily. 

Happened to me yesterday when I played in Vangaurd. We had a 400 point lead. Easy win. Three of our cruisers thought it was a great idea to fail push BBs to get desperate torp kills. Turns out they get citadelled and died. Our BBs were hungry for torps and cruisers letting red DDs run havok. 

In the end it was myself vs four ships. cruiser died from fire. I had to sink a dd, kgv and angle and kite at 5km distance from a 3/4 health massachusetts.  Got the Mass down to 700hp and we won on time due to a lucky cap advantage. All within the last 5 minutes. 

Never throw your ship away. Made the game near impossible to win. Luckily enough ended 1000xp ahead of 2nd place. 

Absolutely never throw your life away if an enemy DD is still alive late game. Your team depends upon your high DPM. 

Edited by VanillaPepsi

[TOG]
Members
4,081 posts
22,345 battles
26 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The reason to save your ship in that situation is to avoid starting an avalanche of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

This. I have seen too many cases where defeat has been snatched from victory due to this. you can take back caps. You can't bring back a dead ship

Edited by Bill_Halsey
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,629 battles
2 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

It ain't over 'till it's over … 

or the Fat Lady sinks :)

Members
5,144 posts
4 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

It ain't over 'till it's over … 

or the Fat Lady sinks :)

Usually the Fat Lady floats really easily.  Rolls over on her back and bobs like a cork...

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,629 battles
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

Usually the Fat Lady floats really easily.  Rolls over on her back and bobs like a cork...

Damn those personal flotation devices … Sir, we're going to have to beach her!

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,606 posts
17,341 battles

I can attest to several matches in my day where I was sure we were going to win, so I played "less optimally". Usually being more aggressive than necessary, resulting in destruction.  Then the snowball occurred, and we lost.

After learning this the hard way many times, I've learned my lesson.  It ain't over until it's over.  Well...there are some matches were the tick of the clock and the situation where it's impossible to lose.  But I'm talking about those situations where it seems obvious you've got the win...but you don't.

It"s also the reason I do everything to win even when it looks like a lost cause.  Pulled a few oft those out of the hat too.

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,187 posts
14,191 battles

Got it, haven't ever flipped a win to a loss so far, am very conservative. Hey, Cleve may even start a fire if I try hard enough against T10. Not trying to get sunk, but not hiding like I do much of a T8-10 game, which means I may get taken out.

I also see enemy team with one holdout DD against maybe 5-6 ships sail to the edge of the map (they aren't going to win by the clock, not even close). So this is also not necessary, they should have stood their ground then and fought on.