You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crickethunter_brown

torps i have a question

12 comments in this topic

Members
136 posts
2,826 battles

this may have been asked if so please direct me to where, why is it u do not get help with firing shells at a target but when u go to torps they give u a marker to go by ? was that available in a war at the date of these ships in ww1 or ww2 I would not get so mad at dd's torping me if they had to work as hard as I do getting range and elevation when it comes to there torps and knowing where to send them if it was available then I guess but if it was not then what the hen I should get a line to go by??? 

• Boring 1

[USMC3]
[USMC3]
Beta Testers
240 posts
11,024 battles

A simple ballistic computer that a WASD hack will beat every time, so do not rely on the guide for Torpedoes to hit all the time.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,106 posts
4,527 battles
24 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Do dynamic crosshairs help with aiming shells?

I just look at the flight time and use the mk1 eye ball

Members
663 posts

I would happily trade the torpedo aiming guide for real-time manual aiming adjustments using torpedo reloads and travel times of a few seconds.

Edited by C14Alpha
  • Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles

You have the availability of using dynamic crosshairs as the poster above mentioned. Both iChase and Notser have videos on YouTube showing you how to use these.

Also on the Minimap, if you select a target, there will be a line drawn showing you the direction the ship is traveling. Added to that is also a little circle which depicts where your currently aiming your guns and where the shells fired will drop. It doesn’t calculate for the targeted ship turning, slowing down or the lead time.

These options give about, if not more the same help the torpedo targeting “line” gives you.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,106 posts
4,527 battles
48 minutes ago, crickethunter_brown said:

this may have been asked if so please direct me to where, why is it u do not get help with firing shells at a target but when u go to torps they give u a marker to go by ? was that available in a war at the date of these ships in ww1 or ww2 I would not get so mad at dd's torping me if they had to work as hard as I do getting range and elevation when it comes to there torps and knowing where to send them if it was available then I guess but if it was not then what the hen I should get a line to go by??? 

OK OP. Yes they did have torpedo firing solutions for torpedoes in WW2.

Torps are far harder to land than shells. What I recommend you do is stop going in straight lines forever, because if you think landing tops is easier than landing shells, then it's time you actually go and try that theory for yourself.

OP I challenge you to land 10 torp hits in a kagero in one game.

• Cool 1

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
425 posts
14,171 battles

Crosshairs in artillery mode has a timer for shell flight time. You can use it to estimate how far you need to lead your shells on a moving target. Torp lead indicator is no different.

[KRAK]
Members
2,178 posts
15,540 battles
5 hours ago, crickethunter_brown said:

Your crosshair works the same as the torp indicator.  Crosshairs tell you shell flight time to target and distance. You use those two to aim your shell.

Torp indicator is infinitely less informational and less reliable. It only shows you where to launch a torp spread based on current speed an direction and even then they more than likely will not hit as it does not account for torpedo speed. A ships direction and speed  can change drastically second by second.  Torps take more than few seconds in some cases a minute or two to reach their target unlike shells.

In other words if you use the torp indicator to launch your torps you will never hit a thing.

If the torp indicator worked so flawlessly and was easy to use  like you seem to be trying to imply then torpedoes would not miss more than they hit.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,597 posts
5 hours ago, crickethunter_brown said:

The torp indicator is of little help against a ship that varies speed and course. Then you have to judge where the ship will be and fire by eye.

To put it another way, it only works if you sail in a straight line at a set speed.

And historically, the combat computers in real life were more sophisticated than the game. They took the curvature of the Earth and rotation speed into account or the shells would miss.