Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
The_Last_Frontier

WTH Low Free XP???

33 comments in this topic

Members
140 posts
4,560 battles

What the heck is up with the amount of Free XP. Am working on the task 3 of the Pronounced Wooster personal mission. Requires to get 15,000 free XP. Knowing that these tasks were coming up I made sure to save the better flags and cammo to help these tasks as some are not base so they can use the boosts to get extra help and this is one such task as it does not say BASE FREE XP.

So I went ahead and added the items below onto my ship. (Note both matches had the same items on it both flags and cammo) The victory round was not a good round for me as you see I did not even break 20k damage but we did win and I scored almost 2.3k Free XP.

The next round we lost but as you can see I did far more damage almost 80k worth but as you can see I did not even break 1k in Free XP.

How does this work when you figure I got 1,327% boost? Even if I only earned 1Free XP point as base that should be 1,327 free XP earned with boost right? From what I am seeing I only earned .65 Free XP points hence the 871 which sort of makes no sense to have only earned .65 base free XP.

Any ideas???

2018-12-22_09h17_21.png

2018-12-22_09h16_54.png

Image1.jpg

2018-12-22_09h29_02.png

[HIT]
Members
144 posts
7,489 battles
2 minutes ago, The_Last_Frontier said:

What the heck is up with the amount of Free XP. Am working on the task 3 of the Pronounced Wooster personal mission. Requires to get 15,000 free XP. Knowing that these tasks were coming up I made sure to save the better flags and cammo to help these tasks as some are not base so they can use the boosts to get extra help and this is one such task as it does not say BASE FREE XP.

So I went ahead and added the items below onto my ship. (Note both matches had the same items on it both flags and cammo) The victory round was not a good round for me as you see I did not even break 20k damage but we did win and I scored almost 2.3k Free XP.

The next round we lost but as you can see I did far more damage almost 80k worth but as you can see I did not even break 1k in Free XP.

How does this work when you figure I got 1,327% boost? Even if I only earned 1Free XP point as base that should be 1,327 free XP earned with boost right? From what I am seeing I only earned .65 Free XP points hence the 871 which sort of makes no sense to have only earned .65 base free XP.

Any ideas???

2018-12-22_09h17_21.png

2018-12-22_09h16_54.png

Image1.jpg

2018-12-22_09h29_02.png

Why don't you think that one over.

[SOFOP]
Members
736 posts
6,739 battles

From what I have read, base free xp is calculated off your exp earned.  So if you just stack free xp flags, and not regular xp flags, you wont get as much of a bonus because your regular xp will be low.

What was suggested and seems to work is, try to balance your xp bonus with your free xp bonus, as high as you can go.  If you get to the final slot and have a choice between more xp or free xp and you have a good balance, favor regular xp.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,367 posts
12 minutes ago, HQ_21 said:

Why don't you think that one over.

Even with all the flags, I don't think you can get more free xp than regular xp due to stacking penalties. So in order to boost your free xp, you have to boost your ship xp.

aMrHJ7l.jpg

Members
140 posts
4,560 battles

My main wondering is even though the second match was a loss my damage dealt was also 4 times as much dealt. That is why I am wondering how this is all truely calculated as just makes no sense that a win and little damage can be so much more free XP when compared to a loss and 4 times the damage dealt.

[HIT]
Members
144 posts
7,489 battles
40 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Even with all the flags, I don't think you can get more free xp than regular xp due to stacking penalties. So in order to boost your free xp, you have to boost your ship xp.

aMrHJ7l.jpg

So long as all your Free XP bonuses exceed 1900% you will get more FXP than XP.

Also a good idea to mouse over the FXP on the page shown above to see all of your bonuses applied.

Edited by HQ_21

[NWNG]
Members
2,771 posts
4,646 battles

1. The ship you damage matters more than the actual damage number. dealing 1000 points of damage to a destroyer, will yield more  base experience than dealing 1000 points of damage to a battleship. This is because experience is reward by "percent of health taken."

A ship with 17900 HP, loses a greater percentage of its health by taking that 1000 damage, while a ships with 90,000+ health takes a smaller percentage loss for that same 1000 damage.

So it is entirely possible to have a higher payout with lower damage.

2. You lost in the second one, which means you didn't get that +50% base for victory.

3. You failed to account for the +50% first win bonus (assuming your victory was your first).

4. Any clan bonus? Those have to be accounted for too.

4. Free Experience is 5% of total experience.

SO: 1,203*0.05= 60.15, rounded up to 61.

THEN we factor in the bonuses ONE AT A TIME!
61*7.77=473.97 (rounded up to 474)
61*3=183
61*2.5=152.5 (rounded up to 153)

61+474+183+153=871

So what will be extremely helpful, is to see every last bonus being applied, by looking at the very last tab in the post-battle screen, and also looking at the ships you damaged. A Victory also matters, because that's an auto boost to Base Experience, of 1.5 (result is rounded up). First win bonus also matters too.

21 minutes ago, awiggin said:

hmmm.... I want to run some numbers now, running MAXIMUM FXP Bonuses to see if that statement is true...

Mosaic, Spring Sky, which gives 777% FXP bonus, also 200% XP bonus. Ouroboros 777% FXP bonus. Hydra 250% FXP Bonus 50% XP Bonus. Leviathan 50% XP bonus, 200% FXP bonus.

Going to use 1000 Base Experience on victory, with no clan bonuses.

So we have 500 experience from hydra and leviathan (1000 total), 2000 experience from Mosaic Spring Sky. Final total of 4000 Experience. 200 base FXP as a result.
1554 from both Mosaic Spring Sky and Ouroboros (3108 total once both are added together)
500 from Hydra
400 from Leviathan

200+3108+500+400=4,208 <---208 FXP more than ship experience.

So it is possible, but requires the correct camo and singals. OH, and no amount of extra ship experience bonuses will change this, because the final experience total also changes the base FXP earned.

Edited by Counter_Gambit
hehe whoops
  • Cool 3

[HIT]
Members
144 posts
7,489 battles
8 minutes ago, The_Last_Frontier said:

My main wondering is even though the second match was a loss my damage dealt was also 4 times as much dealt. That is why I am wondering how this is all truely calculated as just makes no sense that a win and little damage can be so much more free XP when compared to a loss and 4 times the damage dealt.

A win yields a higher base XP. In addition, was that victory your first win with that ship for the day? That would give a normal bonus to XP of 50%. I believe it's 100% today?

On the "Credits & XP" page of your after battle report, click the little tabs to show a more detailed report as in awiggin's post above. Note that FXP (before any FXP bonuses) is 5% of XP rounded up to the nearest integer. In the example you show both totals are correct.

[NWNG]
Members
2,771 posts
4,646 battles
9 minutes ago, HQ_21 said:

So long as all your Free XP bonuses exceed 1950% you will get more FXP than XP.

Also a good idea to mouse over the FXP on the page shown above to see all of your bonuses applied.

That is correct.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,252 posts
15,028 battles

the key to stacking free xp is having tons of multipliers first on xp, then on free xp. Free xp is 5% of xp

Maximize xp first, then stack free xp. If you are loading up tons of free xp flags and camo without first stacking xp you are wasting flags. I don't use free xp flags unless I am going ham on xp first.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,183 posts
5,659 battles

You need all the free xp flags, xp flags, and spring sky camo to get more free xp than the total xp earned.

However you need a rather large base xp to make any of these worth while.

zW15nXn.jpg

Members
140 posts
4,560 battles
2 minutes ago, HQ_21 said:

A win yields a higher base XP. In addition, was that victory your first win with that ship for the day? That would give a normal bonus to XP of 50%. I believe it's 100% today?

On the "Credits & XP" page of your after battle report, click the little tabs to show a more detailed report as in awiggin's post above. Note that FXP (before any FXP bonuses) is 5% of XP rounded up to the nearest integer. In the example you show both totals are correct.

Yes the win was first match of the day. So I did forget that bonus and did not happen to check the details page as normally I just head back to port but just got wondering based on the page I was looking at why so low despite the flags.

I just wondered as games seem to have different math as to how they come up with the points and bonuses and such so had never bothered to really look at how WOWS calculates theirs

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,252 posts
15,028 battles
2 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

You need all the free xp flags, xp flags, and spring sky camo to get more free xp than the total xp earned.

However you need a rather large base xp to make any of these worth while.

zW15nXn.jpg

lols, ive been close, but never surpassed xp with fxp. nice.

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,252 posts
15,028 battles
45 minutes ago, The_Last_Frontier said:

Any ideas???

2018-12-22_09h17_21.png

2018-12-22_09h16_54.png

Image1.jpg

2018-12-22_09h29_02.png

Don't waste ouroborros unless you have at least 200-400% regular xp first.  you may have 1000% free xp but if it comes from a small base number, it will still be small.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts

Simply put, base free xp is 5% of your base xp, then it gets multipliers from there.  You got a lot less xp from the 2nd match than the first one, so you also got less free xp.

It may come from your final xp total, 5% of that, then multipliers.  Regardless, it you have less XP you get less FXP, if you're using the same flags on both matches.

Edited by mavfin87

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,183 posts
5,659 battles
34 minutes ago, The_Last_Frontier said:

It's the quality of damage done in those two games.

If the damage done on your losing game was on battleships then they're not as valuable in giving out xp

Compared to doing damage to destroyers on the winning game which is more valuable as it represents more of their health pool percentage.

Also free xp bonuses are additive not multiplicative a 1,327% total boost adds it does not multiply your 1 free xp to 1,327 free xp instead it adds 13.27 more free xp to your 1 free xp making a total of 14.27 free xp.

Using your winning battle xp, your 3212 earned xp means you got approx 161 free xp and with your bonuses of +1,327% you got a bonus free xp of 2136 and when added your total free xp is 2298 (the game rounds up the xp)

[WOLF6]
Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
1 hour ago, The_Last_Frontier said:

How does this work when you figure I got 1,327% boost? Even if I only earned 1Free XP point as base that should be 1,327 free XP earned with boost right?...
Any ideas???

This is the craziest math I've ever seen someone try to pass off here.  You get 1327% more, not 1327 times more... like, have you ever noticed that when you earn 1000 base EXP for your first win of the day it doesn't show up as 50,000 EXP?

[WOLF7]
Members
11,367 posts
53 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

1. The ship you damage matters more than the actual damage number. dealing 1000 points of damage to a destroyer, will yield more  base experience than dealing 1000 points of damage to a battleship. This is because experience is reward by "percent of health taken."

A ship with 17900 HP, loses a greater percentage of its health by taking that 1000 damage, while a ships with 90,000+ health takes a smaller percentage loss for that same 1000 damage.

So it is entirely possible to have a higher payout with lower damage.

2. You lost in the second one, which means you didn't get that +50% base for victory.

3. You failed to account for the +50% first win bonus (assuming your victory was your first).

4. Any clan bonus? Those have to be accounted for too.

4. Free Experience is 5% of total experience.

SO: 1,203*0.05= 60.15, rounded up to 61.

THEN we factor in the bonuses ONE AT A TIME!
61*7.77=473.97 (rounded up to 474)
61*3=183
61*2.5=152.5 (rounded up to 153)

61+474+183+153=871

So what will be extremely helpful, is to see every last bonus being applied, by looking at the very last tab in the post-battle screen, and also looking at the ships you damaged. A Victory also matters, because that's an auto boost to Base Experience, of 1.5 (result is rounded up). First win bonus also matters too.

hmmm.... I want to run some numbers now, running MAXIMUM FXP Bonuses to see if that statement is true...

Mosaic, Spring Sky, which gives 777% FXP bonus, also 200% XP bonus. Ouroboros 777% FXP bonus. Hydra 250% FXP Bonus 50% XP Bonus. Leviathan 50% XP bonus, 200% FXP bonus.

Going to use 1000 Base Experience on victory, with no clan bonuses.

So we have 500 experience from hydra and leviathan (1000 total), 2000 experience from Mosaic Spring Sky. Final total of 4000 Experience. 200 base FXP as a result.
1554 from both Mosaic Spring Sky and Ouroboros (3108 total once both are added together)
500 from Hydra
400 from Leviathan

200+3108+500+400=4,208 <---208 FXP more than ship experience.

So it is possible, but requires the correct camo and singals. OH, and no amount of extra ship experience bonuses will change this, because the final experience total also changes the base FXP earned.

Ok, so it is possible, but the diminishing returns really don't seem to make it worthwhile. Thanks for doing the math though.

[NWNG]
Members
2,771 posts
4,646 battles
30 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Ok, so it is possible, but the diminishing returns really don't seem to make it worthwhile. Thanks for doing the math though.

you're welcome. Though I also forgot Papa Papa in that math. Anyway, it is only possible with Sky Lantern Camo, and Ouroboros signal flag, because of the 777% they both provide. If you have all the signals but not Sky Lantern Camo, you're 373% short of the minimum 1900% to have the two equal to each other. The closest camo is the Pi camo, with the 314% bonus to FXP, requiring 59% more, and I know for a fact, that clan bonus for FXP doesn't reach that high (unsure of how high it reaches, so unable to tell you by how much % is missing when factoring in clan bonus).

Highest possible bonus to FXP:

777%+777%+250%+300%+200%+Clan-Bonus= 2,304%+clan bonus

Now, to be fair: This was impossible for a very long time. It was thanks to Sky Lantern being introduced this year, that FXP surpassing Ship experience, became a possibility.

[WOLF6]
Members
320 posts
2,609 battles
2 hours ago, The_Last_Frontier said:

What the heck is up with the amount of Free XP.

Any ideas???

As Counter_Gambit already pointed out, your math is wrong.  See that post for the example math.  In addition, the game already shows it's math.  The fourth battle results tab is where the breakdown of Credits and XP is shown.  It looks like this:

Spoiler

shot-18_11.25_20_52.46-0097.thumb.jpg.0f989a9abc5bc60c7c2b4e70fe9f3946.jpg

Ship XP and Commander XP is broken down by bonus.  To see the FXP breakdown, you have to hover your mouse over it to get the pop-up.

2 hours ago, The_Last_Frontier said:

Not all damage is worth the same.  The formula for base xp calculation is not published, but in general, to boost your base xp, do the following:

1. Win the game (duh)

2. Take caps

3. Defend caps

4. Percent damage.  10k taken from a DD is worth WAY more xp than farming 10k from a BB.

5. Kill ships.

It's just a guess, but your higher damage in the second game was likely farming Battleships.  In the first game, you defended a cap, and probably caused significant damage to one or more DDs.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,784 posts
4,145 battles
2 hours ago, HQ_21 said:

Also a good idea to mouse over the FXP on the page shown above [Credits and XP page] to see all of your bonuses applied.

^^ This.

Surprising how many people don't know this (I played for a year before I found it out - now it's in the wiki).

Edited by iDuckman

[PVE]
Members
89 posts
2,089 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

^^ This.

Surprising how many people don't know this (I played for a year before I found it out - now it's in the wiki).

I didn't know until just now when he said it and I have been playing over two and a half years.

Sign in to follow this