Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xanthro

Ranked Sprint thoughts

10 comments in this topic

[DENY]
Members
403 posts
7,936 battles

Made Rank 1 yesterday, took 28 matches, 18 wins 10 losses, of the 18 wins was carried once.

Of the 10 loses, 8 were games where we should have won. Had cap lead, point lead, and usually ship lead, and the match was thrown by BBs and CAs yoloing into the only enemy cap and getting deleted by DDs. This was the biggest mistake I saw the entire season. Ships would yolo into the enemy when there was absolutely no reason at all to push into them. Even asking people not to push into the one enemy cap was ignored. Players seem obviously to the error.

I played all the matches in a T61 and used an unusual captain build with the Special German Captain that has extended 35% range vigilance. Because there are only 5 ships to a side, any ship loss is critical, and spotting torpedoes with hydro and extended vigilance would often allow torpedoes to be spotted the moment they were launched. I died once to torpedoes, that I saw a mile away but miscalculated the angle and couldn't slip between the two sets and died, was carried that match.

BBs in general seemed to often ignore torpedoes, as in, they are spotted and on the map and the BB still steers INTO the path of the torpedoes and takes significant damage or gets deleted. It's as if many players are only reacting to torpedoes when the audio warning sounds, and by then it was often too late. In the 28 matches, many many ships on my team died to torpedoes that had been spotted for 30+ seconds.

The matches are easier if people pay look around when not firing so they see spotted torpedoes and people remember that a point lead and cap lead means the enemy will lose unless they sail into a cap you control. There is no reason to push on ship at a time into their 4 remaining ships in their only cap. The goal is to win the match, so play to that win. I think many players were attempting to maximize damage so as to not lose a star, but in doing so actually cost their team the match and they lost a star they would have won, and lost a star because there were not first anyway.

[SIDE]
Members
2,089 posts

It’s great. Save a star is gone. People are all playing to win. Sure, a few cr@ptastic teams and brain fart players here and there. Still a frustrating grind up and the inevitable decline back down. Still ragers, griefers and clueless dead admirals. Everything is the same but it seems to be more manageable. Maybe I was smart getting in early, knowing when to change ships and getting it done ASAP. I ranked out in 2-3 days off pretty obsessive/dedicated game play. Had a few gut check moments when I wasn’t sure I wanted to finish it but I’m glad I did. 10k coal was nice reward but not the reason I did it. 

[SYN]
Members
3,363 posts
16,145 battles

I had a pretty easy run, played T-61 for all games.

A couple of very poor plays but generally my teams were good and for the most part worked together

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles

My thought is I should have stuck with Warspite from the beginning but I always goof off with other ships. That decision prolonged ranking out to 31 battles.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,003 posts
5,775 battles

Wet virginia is stomping everyything,i'm surprised  that she is rarely played.

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles
7 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

Wet virginia is stomping everyything,i'm surprised  that she is rarely played.

I got WV for ranked and never played it- duh

Members
501 posts

30 battles and at rank 3. I was trying different ships early on which had mixed results. Then started to have success when I stuck to the P.E.F.  Now, I have transitioned to the Warspite for the end run. 

I guess it would have been a lot easier to go all T-61 but I don't like DD play that much to go that many battles straight. 

Sign in to follow this