You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
richie_macrophage

PSA: Staying Alive.

13 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
Members
785 posts
3,669 battles

Staying Alive.

Apparently this is a concept that so many people can't grasp and is what eventually ends up losing a team overall.

Once you learn it, it's not hard to stay alive at all, and you can do it at practically any tier.

In short: don't do stupid things. Going into the open water to radar or chase something down? How about you don't do it. Go through a dangerous opening to try to get some torpedoes off? Don't try it. Un-angling yourself to only get one turret off at close range? Don't try it. Move too far ahead to try to get a better shot? Don't try it.

More often than not, it's the ATTRITIONAL fight that wins a battle. If you die early overextending, you won't be better than anyone on the team.

You are a lot more useful to the team if your ship is alive and still has it's ability to spot, move, and fire. You will be of no use to our team anymore if you die prematurely.

Don't be afraid to retreat, either. If your flank is out numbered and out gunned, then get everyone on that flank, including you, to start kiting the enemy away. Unless your team somehow kills the entire flank to pure luck (don't trust it still), retreating is the only smart option here. It's a lot better to keep your guns afloat and alive.

If you are in a tier 8 destroyer in a tier 10 match and you come across a pair of t10 battleships and a radar cruiser, don't just sit there in your smoke, get the hell out of there.

Controlling your speed also works. For fast battleships and some cruisers, set some key points to be moving to and once you reach that, slow down or stop to make sure you're moving up at the right time.

It sounds like selfish play to keep yourself alive at all costs, but it really isn't always. If you are alive, you can still support your team, you can still fire on targets being marked and spot for your team. Being alive will also keep your team's points up and healthy. If you die, you can't fire, spot, or cap any zones anymore.

Sacrificing yourself is also practically useless and is often too risky to deliver good results. The only time you should sacrifice yourself is when you have no other options: when your concealment is too bad, when your ship is too slow to retreat, and/or there are too many enemies firing at you. If so, then sacrificing yourself like ramming is acceptable. 

It's also important to not be overly passive and be more in direct fire support for your team. Don't be a DD and chase the enemy CV all game when your team needs you to spot and torpedo key enemy capital ships.

So, just a friendly reminder.

Don't die. Please.

• Boring 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,265 posts
3,159 battles

• Cool 6

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,287 posts
10,916 battles

What is worse is watching a won match being lost because people are chasing kills and dying.

[-WTP-]
Members
785 posts
3,669 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

What is worse is watching a won match being lost because people are chasing kills and dying.

That too. You are correct

[SF-A]
Members
3,009 posts
6,351 battles

This. People throw matches all the time by chasing damage instead of sitting tight and waiting for the victory.

[SOFOP]
Members
745 posts
6,755 battles

But folks, people in game are constantly yelling for people to push push push.  Game being won by points,caps and kills??  Puuuuush.  OMG why are you guys sitting back and hiding behind islands?  Puuuuuush.  BBs in the back sniping???  Puuuuuush up!!!!!!  Ugh, potato team will potato I guess.  I just pushed and died. Y u no support??

/sarcasm

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
1,399 posts
68 battles
19 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

But folks, people in game are constantly yelling for people to push push push.  Game being won by points,caps and kills??  Puuuuush.  OMG why are you guys sitting back and hiding behind islands?  Puuuuuush.  BBs in the back sniping???  Puuuuuush up!!!!!!  Ugh, potato team will potato I guess.  I just pushed and died. Y u no support??

/sarcasm

Because the various phases of the game require different actions and ability to react to the flow of the game. There is no one correct format. 

[NSWC]
Members
185 posts
8,923 battles
1 hour ago, RivertheRoyal said:

:cat_cool::crab:my friend just heard this playing on my phone and she started dancing.:dance_turtle:

Edited by Caledanicus
She’s a really good dancer.....

[SOFOP]
Members
745 posts
6,755 battles
2 hours ago, Sparviero said:

Because the various phases of the game require different actions and ability to react to the flow of the game. There is no one correct format. 

I am aware....but there are people who, no matter what the situation, demand that you push as hard as possible, even to the team's detriment. 

There are times to push and times to defend.  5 man ranked exaggerates the consequences of not knowing which to do when.

I have seen many BBs who, with the game in hand, decided to push the last cap or sail in to B cap looking for kills, just to get obliterated.  When its 5 v 5, any losses could mean the game.  All lives can matter.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

[WOLF9]
Members
8,789 posts
4,157 battles
2 hours ago, Caledanicus said:

:cat_cool::crab:my friend just heard this playing on my phone and she started dancing.:dance_turtle:

Disco Lives !!