You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Summon3r

2 tier spread unnecessary?

26 comments in this topic

[CWGC]
Members
819 posts
2,607 battles

surely there is enough players in the game that a +- 2 tier spread is not needed. it would make the game a heck of a lot more fun WG

• Cool 1

[-V1-]
Members
346 posts
6,219 battles

It would be nice but I suspect, given my own experience, that it would lengthen the wait time to get into battles.   

[CWGC]
Members
819 posts
2,607 battles

dont think i ever wait more then 30 seconds for match. not to mention they would likely retain more players

[WOLF7]
Members
11,420 posts
2 minutes ago, Summon3r said:

dont think i ever wait more then 30 seconds for match. not to mention they would likely retain more players

Given that WG admitted about 6 months ago that the reason for -2+ was all about pushing players into tier 10, where they can make more money off of you, it seems unlikely to change.

Members
1,195 posts

off-peak times the population drops down to ~2500 people across all tiers and game modes, and game modes can be as long as 20mins. 

[CWGC]
Members
819 posts
2,607 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

Given that WG admitted about 6 months ago that the reason for -2+ was all about pushing players into tier 10, where they can make more money off of you, it seems unlikely to change.

seems odd, how do they make more money off t10?

i dont even pay for anything anymore in this game as it gets to frustrating after a few matches so i stop playing for a few months again lol

maybe its just me

Members
1,195 posts

if your a tier VIII in a tier X game, the things you do and the damage you cause to tier IX and X ships are worth more in XP than doing the same to tier VIII ships.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,420 posts
2 minutes ago, Summon3r said:

seems odd, how do they make more money off t10?

i dont even pay for anything anymore in this game as it gets to frustrating after a few matches so i stop playing for a few months again lol

maybe its just me

Most players can't survive financially at tier 10, so it requires buying expensive camos and flags to not lose money.

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles

I don’t really see the point in trying to push people to T10

you’ve already got a large percentage of the player base sticking to certain tiers (T10 is so broken so i can see why)

+1/-1 MM

pros:

ships remain in relative tier brackets

certain tiers stop seeing ships 2 tiers higher i.e T5s see T7s or T8s see T10s

Cons:

longer wait times

(sorry this is all i can think off right now)

Edited by Ace6steel

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
22 minutes ago, awiggin said:

There is this and there is also the balance factor. Now I have always thought, going back to WoT where being bottom tier in anything but a scout makes being useful to your team mostly impossible, that when the queue population allows that two tier matches should be used. Unlike in WoT here in WoWS being bottom tier is more of a psychological hurdle than a psychical hurdle so don't give up when you are bottom tier.

[CWGC]
Members
819 posts
2,607 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

There is this and there is also the balance factor. Now I have always thought, going back to WoT where being bottom tier in anything but a scout makes being useful to your team mostly impossible, that when the queue population allows that two tier matches should be used. Unlike in WoT here in WoWS being bottom tier is more of a psychological hurdle than a psychical hurdle so don't give up when you are bottom tier.

ya cuz playing in an Atlanta, Colorado, Gnies, or what ever else in a T-9 match isnt a physical barrier at all lol? not to mention the absolute insanity of t5 vs t7 and so on. 

anyway not that it will ever change. id probably still be playing WoT if it wasnt for the 2 tier spread

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
871 posts
6,766 battles

You know you've been around the forums too long when another MM +2 thread makes you facepalm...never ends well :Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 1

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
36 minutes ago, b101uk said:

off-peak times the population drops down to ~2500 people across all tiers and game modes, and game modes can be as long as 20mins. 

Are you playing a CV? I've never had to wait longer than about three minutes, in any game mode. Although, perhaps, those who rank highly right off in Ranked see long wait times. Coop is guaranteed 30 seconds if you just want to play something. Random is guaranteed 5 minutes.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
1 minute ago, Summon3r said:

ya cuz playing in an Atlanta, Colorado, Gnies, or what ever else in a T-9 match isnt a physical barrier at all lol? not to mention the absolute insanity of t5 vs t7 and so on. 

anyway not that it will ever change. id probably still be playing WoT if it wasnt for the 2 tier spread

It isn't the impossible cliff that it is in WoT except for scouts and tanks with insanely over trained crews. Here a well played Atlanta, Colorado, Gneisenau, or any other tier 7 in a tier 9 match will do well and even top the charts. Quit giving up as soon as you load in!

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,420 posts
17 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

But Brush, this isn't WOT, and will never be WOT. Entirely different player base with minimal crossover. The players in this game struggle with the basics, having to face two tiers higher simply doesn't work for them. This is why this game can't retain players and grow.

And it's why even to this day, WOT has 10 RU servers with 20 times the population of WOWs single server.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

But Brush, this isn't WOT, and will never be WOT. Entirely different player base with minimal crossover. The players in this game struggle with the basics, having to face two tiers higher simply doesn't work for them. This is why this game can't retain players and grow.

And it's why even to this day, WOT has 10 RU servers with 20 times the population of WOWs single server.

If most of these threads were started by struggling players I might agree but more often than not these threads are started by better than average players.

Members
1,195 posts
16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Are you playing a CV? I've never had to wait longer than about three minutes, in any game mode. Although, perhaps, those who rank highly right off in Ranked see long wait times. Coop is guaranteed 30 seconds if you just want to play something. Random is guaranteed 5 minutes.

I am in the UK, so off-peak NA server times are mid morning for the European player who play on the NA server, so I often see the servers at the lowest population point with is 2000 to 3000 depending on the day of the week, if its a holiday in the US it may be a bit higher 

[WOLF7]
Members
11,420 posts
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

If most of these threads were started by struggling players I might agree but more often than not these threads are started by better than average players.

With 91% of the player base never coming to the forums, and far fewer ever posting, I'm not sure we can get a accurate picture from posters. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[CWGC]
Members
819 posts
2,607 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I am casual average player, you are clearly one of those forum warriors that knows best for everyone.

quite simply my OP was simply stating the game would be more fun if it was a 1 tier spread and not 2. thats a fact not an alternate fact or fake news.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

With 91% of the player base never coming to the forums, and far fewer ever posting, I'm not sure we can get a accurate picture from posters. :Smile_Default:

Well, we are sure not getting an accurate picture when the complainers here are doing well.

Members
136 posts
2,826 battles

I think u should have a choice (a button) if u want a even game, +1, or +2 or if u are really nuts +3 at least u can use all your ships if u want and not have to have your tier 8 ships with tier 10's, I am not able to use 50% of my ships do to the fact its a waste of time going against purchased lvl 10's with all the buffing that is done to the purchased ships, I play the mid lvl only at least there the basic ships have a chance in the game % wise, its just not worth the time in game play.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,399 posts
10,935 battles
Just now, Summon3r said:

I am casual average player, you are clearly one of those forum warriors that knows best for everyone.

quite simply my OP was simply stating the game would be more fun if it was a 1 tier spread and not 2. thats a fact not an alternate fact or fake news.

The problem with just changing the MM is the ships that currently are doing better than average will gain more than the ships that are doing less than average. This would require a lot of expensive balance work before being put into place and they would have to find some other carrot to entice people to level up.

Members
4,383 posts
7,093 battles

More XP when bottom tier and people learn to play to strengths and personally- I don't think tier IX  and X are in any way broken.   Find a ship you like at high tiers and play well and have at it.  Tons of fun frankly.  There are enough tiers that there would need to be a much higher average player population for +/- 1 to work.

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
24 minutes ago, awiggin said:

This is true, but changing the MM wouldnt make any difference. Because the core issue are the players and not the MM. Players blame the MM for their own failure, if WG changes the MM they will find some other thing to blame. 

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
21 minutes ago, Summon3r said:

Fun is something very relative and not a good measuring tool. Personaly i always find fun to outscore top tier ships.