Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MerlinMedic

Fix the RNG

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

15
[ALS]
Members
77 posts
7,653 battles

It is time to fix the RNG.  19 point commander firing a Warspite at a stationary QE from 9.4 Km broadside for both.  Shots when fore and aft, ZERO hits.  If this were the first time I'd say "meh".  However during this ranked sprint I have noticed more than once that the RNG just goes and does whatever.  Perth (green health bar) parked behind an island in smoke, Fuso gets an angled shot, not quite bow on, but close enough, in from over 12 Km out, Perth deleted.  That happened twice.

We all get that the RNG is supposed to be random, but when is random not random but broke?  The hit rate under 10 Km for my WS is horrible when it should be dealing massive damage.  CA from 5 Km out full salvo, 1 OP.  My secondaries are doing more damage.

 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7
[1NJS]
Members
28 posts
1,898 battles

RNG will never be solved, it is there to placate the noob cruisers that play like a noob and expect to survive while giving a full broad side to a BB or heavy CA. Rumor has it the more you spend in game money wise the less RNG affects you. RNG takes the skill out of playing a CA or a BB.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,939 posts
10,762 battles
35 minutes ago, MerlinMedic said:

It is time to fix the RNG.  19 point commander firing a Warspite at a stationary QE from 9.4 Km broadside for both.  Shots when fore and aft, ZERO hits.  If this were the first time I'd say "meh".  However during this ranked sprint I have noticed more than once that the RNG just goes and does whatever.  Perth (green health bar) parked behind an island in smoke, Fuso gets an angled shot, not quite bow on, but close enough, in from over 12 Km out, Perth deleted.  That happened twice.

We all get that the RNG is supposed to be random, but when is random not random but broke?  The hit rate under 10 Km for my WS is horrible when it should be dealing massive damage.  CA from 5 Km out full salvo, 1 OP.  My secondaries are doing more damage.

 

Random is always random. Unless it's completely removed, there will always situation like this. It's, oh what's the word? Yes. Random.

What you are saying is you want fix pattern dispersion. Then all match will end in 5 minutes since no average player will miss any shot.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,048
[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,863 battles
16 hours ago, khazz_1 said:

RNG will never be solved, it is there to placate the noob cruisers that play like a noob and expect to survive while giving a full broad side to a BB or heavy CA. Rumor has it the more you spend in game money wise the less RNG affects you. RNG takes the skill out of playing a CA or a BB.

Nope. My RNG sucked just as much early in my career as it does now, and I am a total noob. Now, tho, I know ways to mitigate the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,192
[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
11 minutes ago, khazz_1 said:

I just deal with it and take it for what it is 

Yeah, we're not talking about modern-day gunnery where radar auto-corrects for wind, etc on the first shot, and shots thereafter.

This is WWI/II era gunnery where most of the aiming work is done in the director, and radar is used for an aiming fix, but not to autocorrect.  There's a lot of leeway for randomness to be part of the system.

This isn't an FPS with a sniper rifle.  More like Chess with guns and torpedoes.

Edited by mavfin87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,202 posts
3,156 battles
31 minutes ago, khazz_1 said:

RNG takes the skill out of playing a CA or a BB.

If that were true, every battleship player would have the same stats. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15
[ALS]
Members
77 posts
7,653 battles

There is random and then there is absurd.  I didn't post this rant because it is the first time my 19 point commanders missed a shot; it happens way too often, generally after I post negative feedback about something (this time it was premium) to be random.  Coincidence? Possibly.  WG sending a message to complainers?  Hmmmmm .... Can't get a win in ranked to save myself, awful pairings in randoms this week.  Maybe I'll go play Fallout.  ;) 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,265
[YORHA]
Members
4,047 posts
7,023 battles
5 minutes ago, MerlinMedic said:

There is random and then there is absurd.  I didn't post this rant because it is the first time my 19 point commanders missed a shot; it happens way too often, generally after I post negative feedback about something (this time it was premium) to be random.  Coincidence? Possibly.  WG sending a message to complainers?  Hmmmmm .... Can't get a win in ranked to save myself, awful pairings in randoms this week.  Maybe I'll go play Fallout.  ;) 

Meanwhile, somewhere in Western Russia...

 

2pl9ff.jpg

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,192
[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
7 minutes ago, MerlinMedic said:

Can't get a win in ranked to save myself, awful pairings in randoms this week.  Maybe I'll go play Fallout.  ;) 

Maybe you should.  Or you can keep casting around for someone or something to blame, of course.  Have fun with that.

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,130
[TBW]
Members
7,438 posts
13,600 battles

3 full salvos into a broadside Eugene with my Eugene and 8,000 damage from 4k, how can shells ricochet at 90 degrees.  It was maddening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
826
[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
17 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

3 full salvos into a broadside Eugene with my Eugene and 8,000 damage from 4k, how can shells ricochet at 90 degrees.  It was maddening.

Your shells likely bounced out ot the deck or turrets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,611
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,379 posts
10,928 battles

I love how people come here to complain about this happening but they never come here to complain about the reverse. Deal with it!

raf,750x1000,075,t,322e3f:696a94a5d4.u1.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15
[ALS]
Members
77 posts
7,653 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

I love how people come here to complain about this happening but they never come here to complain about the reverse. Deal with it!

This is how people deal with it.  They let the developers know there is an issue.  If it is real enough people will complain and the developers will look into it; it is just whining then they ignore it.  WG is a business and they aren't going to kill their cash cow by ignoring players; that doesn't mean they jump when we scream either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
110
[WOLF6]
Members
320 posts
2,609 battles
1 hour ago, MerlinMedic said:

There is random and then there is absurd. 

I don't think you understand what random means.  Not your fault; most people don't.

1 hour ago, MerlinMedic said:

 I didn't post this rant because it is the first time my 19 point commanders missed a shot;

You've mentioned your 19 point commander a couple times now.  Out of idle curiosity, what effect do you think your commander has on accuracy?  What selected skill does your 19 pointer have that makes a lick of difference to where your shells fall?

1 hour ago, MerlinMedic said:

 it happens way too often, generally after I post negative feedback about something (this time it was premium) to be random.  Coincidence? Possibly.  WG sending a message to complainers?  Hmmmmm ....

Reference point 1 above.  This part sounds like all the posts about WG's patent that keeps specific players below 50% win rates.  Of course, it only targets people that believe they have a patent that does that.

FWIW, your hit rate in Warspite is a hair under 27%, which honestly isn't bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
692
[TDRB]
Members
2,536 posts
7,327 battles
2 hours ago, MerlinMedic said:

It is time to fix the RNG.  19 point commander firing a Warspite at a stationary QE from 9.4 Km broadside for both.  Shots when fore and aft, ZERO hits.  If this were the first time I'd say "meh".  However during this ranked sprint I have noticed more than once that the RNG just goes and does whatever.  Perth (green health bar) parked behind an island in smoke, Fuso gets an angled shot, not quite bow on, but close enough, in from over 12 Km out, Perth deleted.  That happened twice.

We all get that the RNG is supposed to be random, but when is random not random but broke?  The hit rate under 10 Km for my WS is horrible when it should be dealing massive damage.  CA from 5 Km out full salvo, 1 OP.  My secondaries are doing more damage.

 

One shot, match, even one day isn't enough to show there is a problem. With that being said, WG did say they fixed a "rare bug" that would NOT allow the locked target dispersion bonus with 7.12.  I did complain but I had well over 100 matches before I complained as bad runs of RNG are common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,611
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,379 posts
10,928 battles
27 minutes ago, MerlinMedic said:

This is how people deal with it.  They let the developers know there is an issue.  If it is real enough people will complain and the developers will look into it; it is just whining then they ignore it.  WG is a business and they aren't going to kill their cash cow by ignoring players; that doesn't mean they jump when we scream either.

Way to miss the point. RNG also works in your favor but no one brings that up, it must be their skills doing it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,130
[TBW]
Members
7,438 posts
13,600 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Way to miss the point. RNG also works in your favor but no one brings that up, it must be their skills doing it.

Actually you are correct but the skills that you need are not aiming. When you know how much armor you can penetrate and at what angle and at what distance and what part of every ship for all distances and have the correct shells at the precise moment, you can beat the RNG every time. Easy Peasy. I was on a mission in the steel campaign and needed points on cruisers, I torped him anyway and finished him off. It was Co op any way but it took me about 13 battles to get 90,000 hp on cruisers. I was frustrated because either there weren't any in the battle or they avoided me. Just bad RNG I guess.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,611
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,379 posts
10,928 battles
4 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Actually you are correct but the skills that you need are not aiming. When you know how much armor you can penetrate and at what angle and at what distance and what part of every ship for all distances and have the correct shells at the precise moment, you can beat the RNG every time. Easy Peasy. I was on a mission in the steel campaign and needed points on cruisers, I torped him anyway and finished him off. It was Co op any way but it took me about 13 battles to get 90,000 hp on cruisers. I was frustrated because either there weren't any in the battle or they avoided me. Just bad RNG I guess.

RNG is the shells falling where they will, you cannot beat that. Without some RNG this game would not be any fun except for the natural snipers whose aim is almost always spot on.

Factoring the angle and armor of your target helps when you get hits but does nothing until that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
726
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,106 posts
4,527 battles
6 hours ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Sadly it's not gonna happen WG loves the rng. 

 

6 hours ago, khazz_1 said:

RNG will never be solved, it is there to placate the noob cruisers that play like a noob and expect to survive while giving a full broad side to a BB or heavy CA. Rumor has it the more you spend in game money wise the less RNG affects you. RNG takes the skill out of playing a CA or a BB.

no its there because an amount of randomness to keep things from being stale, and also because real life is obviously random.

the idea that spending money gets you better RNG makes me question how humanity has gotten this far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,130
[TBW]
Members
7,438 posts
13,600 battles

I was trying to be funny and not so serious, lighten up RNG is is what it is and it is everywhere, starting with the MM and right on down to about 30 calculations on the last shot fired. RNG in a nutshell;

 

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
726
[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,106 posts
4,527 battles
5 hours ago, MerlinMedic said:

There is random and then there is absurd.  I didn't post this rant because it is the first time my 19 point commanders missed a shot; it happens way too often, generally after I post negative feedback about something (this time it was premium) to be random.  Coincidence? Possibly.  WG sending a message to complainers?  Hmmmmm .... Can't get a win in ranked to save myself, awful pairings in randoms this week.  Maybe I'll go play Fallout.  ;) 

im curious, what do you think having a 19 point commander does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
622
[KRAK]
Members
2,204 posts
15,745 battles
11 hours ago, MerlinMedic said:

There is random and then there is absurd.  I didn't post this rant because it is the first time my 19 point commanders missed a shot; it happens way too often, generally after I post negative feedback about something (this time it was premium) to be random.  Coincidence? Possibly.  WG sending a message to complainers?  Hmmmmm .... Can't get a win in ranked to save myself, awful pairings in randoms this week.  Maybe I'll go play Fallout.  ;) 

Just curious but in what way would a 19 point commander make a difference in dispersion or the rng?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×